1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saab Seats

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by beastieboy, Apr 26, 2017.

1. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

2. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

3. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

4. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

5. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

6. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Saab Seat Article T3 _0006.jpg
    Pretty tidy! :cool:

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Love the opening line:

"...........,familiar with shifting sheets of 8 x 4,...."

How do you fit a sheet of 8 x 4, in a tray of 6 x 6, without hanging the rest out the back in the weather, with the rear gate folded downed concealing the rego plate? o_O

:p

Syncro27 and oldman like this.
  8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

love to know how he goes around corners :confused:

10. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

with a smile on his face :) probably air bagged

13bvw likes this.
  11. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

I can score a pair of Saab seats round the corner from me for about $100. They are not in the most perfect condition tho, drivers seat stitching is starting to show, passenger is the better of the 2 (obviously). Few age creases in the leather. The plastic base surround is broken though which sucks, as it looks decent in the above article. Unsure how much an upholsterer would slug me to get them looking sharp like the ones in the pic tho? The ones near me are a dark grey. My interior is custom black anyways so, dunno. Thinking about it...

12. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

The SAAB (classic) 900 seats were actually made by a lounge chair manufacturer.

I had considered fitting them many years ago but thought they were too high to work.

The seats from a 900 (classic) convertible appear to have a lower base which might work.

13. saabman

There's a few 9-3s/900 s on gum tree / carsales at the moment for around $600 or less for the complete car - with seats looking in pretty good shape. Black is pretty common.

beastieboy likes this.
  14. saabman

That would be right can't find them now - I'd flicked them because I was looking for non black interior ones

15. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Ikea?

Grantus likes this.
  16. saabman

17. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Day off work Today. Going to look at another 2 Saab's and maybe pickup some seats. You are right as far as saying you can get the whole car for E.G $500-$1000 and seats are decent. However... parking at my place is already out of control.
    (4 cars already plus the missus car and a motor bike. She will probably have a bit to say if I bring another car home LOL! If I did I'd be trying to part it out to get some money back, and it could sit for ages as Saab is probably least popular car in Adelaide).
    All the cars start at the turn of the key and nicely drive though. All are small investments or possible future presents for family and friends. I'd like a 4x4 though, then I would have all areas covered (Sedan, Hatch, Station Wagon, Van + 4X4):D
    If I sold them all it would fund the kombi nicely for a bit. :rolleyes:
    When I look at my van seats, the colour seems so random, as the dash is really dark brown, then they threw in some light mustard looking seats which seems a bit odd in comparison. They also feel short for me, as I'm tall, the tops of the vw seats end at my shoulder blades. Saab seats are much taller which maybe better for me.
    Off to look at both Cream or Black seats. Looking for the best condition ones I can find, as I saw some upholstery quotes and it seem to be about $350 upwards :eek: so skimping on condition will cost way more in the long run. So paying a few bucks more for something shmick is saved money long term (hopefully).
    See how I go....

18. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Saab 93 in the DOKA but as stated in the JK comment section I found, a guy was talking 900 or 9000 seats. I don't like the look of the 9000's tho, but that's just me and I can't say I've sat in them, which is what a seat is for really! Love the headrests on the DOKA though.

19. Leighton

Leighton Member

Thanks so much. I think I have worked out the back seat has an arm rest/drink holder that folds down. Can not work out the front seat in the Middle as it has the same material as the door cards? I am in the process of turning my DC back into a 6 seater. I have the original seat for the front but am looking to use my other seats and bee creative for the middle front seat. If you get some Saab front seats let me know as I might go a Saab back seat. I was looking at Subaru Leather seats.

20. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Scored heated leather Saab seats today from a 93. Could have brought the whole car home for $550 on a trailer! However.... a sensible consult with the missus didn't allow it to be mine, which actually saved me the hassle really, and if this bloke was struggling to get rid of it, then I'd be lumbered dealing with it, and that wasn't the initial plan.
    That said, I wouldn't have minded a 2ltr Turbo. Tempted! Back seats were looking good too. Guy selling it was really cool actually. Had about 30 cars. Young bloke kinda car dealing on small scale. We got along well, he lent me tools to rip them out and we chatted cars for a bit.

Leighton, are you in Springwood S.A?

My front seats I scored were pretty shmick for the age. Black pretty much the same as the ones in the pics. If you are in S.A I'd be glad to hook you up a look at these as the back seat were fairly mint mate.
    The mod will be a bit of a hassle for me. I am attempting to work out how to fit ithe seats strongly, without ruining the original runners, as I want to change back to original Vw Seats if needed. I read most people are taking angle grinders to the floor runners to remove them for a flat mounting surface but I'm not keen on going down that path.

I must say I sat in them and thought wow, being a tall bloke they actually supported my back from base to shoulders. It was decent for sure.
    Ones I saw round the corner from me were tatty in comparison for $100 the pair. I paid $200 for these and they look good. Maybe a bit more than I'd liked to have paid but I'm happy. Like I said I would have brought the whole car back. Thing was, bloke claimed it was blowing smoke when hard driven. So although I could have attempted to part out a reasonably unpopular car (although really straight and clean) I was suspicious about the engine condition overall. I didn't really need the extra mucking about so just took the seats. Only other suspicious thing was carpet looked like it had got quite wet, so it could maybe be water damaged.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    David H likes this.