1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saab Seats

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by beastieboy, Apr 26, 2017.

1. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

This is correct. They are bigger runners. Approx 5-10mm wider which is doable but not straight forward. However they sit flush with the side peak of the floor runners, which is probably the best way to work with them.

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Does the seller have a 9-3 mirror plastic outer housing to suit an 06 SAAB, by any chance?

Kangaroo tail cracked the silver housing on the one here, but mirror glass, electric adjustments and heater all survived, just cracked outer cover housing. ;)

As I was driving, and even though the roo pulled out without indicating, it's become my problem to find a replacement cover.....o_O

David H likes this.
  3. Grantus

Leighton is in Springwood NSW, in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney......;)

4. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Car year was 99. Car was straight as, and looked well looked after interior wise. Just the smoke blowing and water stain on the carpet was a put off. I did almost get him to chuck a battery in it and I was going to take it for a good fang about. Decided not to encourage myself lol!
    Guess if I want it I can go back and give him $350 for the leftovers.
    Did think of buying it, ganking the seats, and replacing them with the crap ones from round the corner but like I said, not the intended plan.
    I should have nicked the wiring loom but then the heated seats are useless without the thermostat and we live in Australia so, is it really needed at the end of the day? My T3 heater is brilliant.
    Nice car though for it's age. I took a few pics. Might post them 2morra.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  5. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Serious under rated car - I'm actually looking to buy another at the moment - two baby seats don't fit in the back of the convertible. :confused:

Was hoping to have the Kombi finished by now :eek:

So trying to pick up a 9-5 wagon for the right price...

Sounds like you've got yourself some nice seats for a good price. Can't wait to see you he finished project

6. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  7. Grantus

Nice.....a true Swedish designed and built SAAB 9-3.;)

Much more solid and integral than the later Swedish built General Motors owned SAAB with the manufacture cost cutting 9-3. :(

We had a 95 SAAB, and I went and bought a new 06 one, without doing any research, not realising the upgrade, was actually a downgrade. :confused:

8. saabman

That looks like it's brand new...

The purists though Grant look dimly on the 9-3 as it was the classic 900 was the last GM free offering ;)

Grantus likes this.
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Early ones were good.
    A lot of the body could be unscrewed or unbolted unlike some other marques of the time.
    Made working on them much easier.

10. saabman

Change the clutch with out removing engine or gearbox ;)

11. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Was talking to a bloke at work about the smoke blowing. He seemed to think it was the turbo seal.
    Yeah like I said I was tempted to have it but how many cars do you need? And I can only drive them one at a time.
    4 airbags was impressive for its time too.

12. saabman

Yes turbo issues at around 100000km for the garret turbo. They are an oil cooled unit. The Aeros used a larger Mitsubishi water cooled turbo that is apparently much better.
    Can get an upgrade kit to change the garret to a Mitsubishi so you get better life and more power :)

Or you just bypas the turbo and live with a little less power. I read of one guy that just blocked off the oil lines to and from the turbo it squealed for a bit before it seized and that was how he left it - not ideal but it worked lol.

13. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

What's the damage to your wallet to fix something like that though? Stock or conversion? This is usually the catch to a cheap car. Dealing with other peoples problems can be costly! Haha!
    Never owned a turbo car...
    I should mention it was an auto.
    You lot are making me want to buy it again! Haha!

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  14. saabman

I started looking a while ago cause mine is a little smokey at start up sometimes and I saw stock units available for between $500 and $1k I'm not sure of the bigger Mitsubishi unit though. I decided not to worry about it and deal with it when it went bang

15. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

I'll sell my kombi and join the Saab forum to fix and fund it :rolleyes:

16. Leighton

Leighton Member

I am in Springwood NSW 2777. The article looks great and has got me thinking about my improvements to my DOKA. Thanks for posting the article. Is this a current mag or one from a few years ago?

17. David H

David H Well-Known Member

My upholsterer was $400/seat. So you're on the money there. Buy the whole car with good seats;)
    Cheers

18. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Mag was from 2015 from memory

19. Leighton

Leighton Member

Thanks

20. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Update....

Found a website that may be helpful to anyone considering this...

http://syncrosport.com/sthwark/syncro/syncro_projects.html#Saab

Build issues I have are for the particular style of mod I'm attempting, and a couple of other things I've read online are....

I'm not keen on grinding the original VW seat rails out . If I did this, it's the point of no return and you can't refit the original VW Seats back in, which I want to be able to do.
    If I did grind them off, the SAAB Runners would bolt straight on. Easy fit on the flat base. If you are not concerned you could do this easy with a grinder. Bolt in and you are done.
    Do people do this when fitting a swivel seat or is it a slide on job? On JK looks like there is no runners on the swivel? Welded in I gather?
    What's the legalities on adding a swivel as it is not original factory fitted when doing this though?
    Road worthy approvals e.c.t?
    Looking at the seat in the following video (Vanagon), where they remove a factory swivel I can see that there is a plate it bolts too.

To add the swivel mod to a van (opposite of video instructions)..... interested to see how that is done.

There are swivel plates with no seat mounts available, and they leave you with a flat surface. This would work for the Saab seats, but still can't go back to original seats if needed.

Some do have seat mounts though, and the original seats slide on top of the swivel.
    Interested in seeing how they mount the base to the van?
    I'm also not keen on drilling holes in my original VW seat runners. I'd much prefer to keep them intact. If I did this though I could follow the link above I posted at the beginning and be done.
    I'd like to be able to swap the seats over at any point in time in as little time as possible if required.
    My answer I think to do this currently, is the fact I'll probably need another set of original VW seats or runners, which means I'll probably need to buy another set of crappy condition type original stock seats, just for the runners.
    Have been pondering the idea of a custom lock in and bolt up type plate, but maybe need more time to figure it out at the moment.o_O Thinking possibly of a bolted lock bracket mounting plate to make up for the seat sliding handle on the right side of the original VW seat. Probably have to be permanently bolted in a fixed position.
    On a VW seat the metal rail the handle is on (when you slide your seat back and forth), seems to be the only piece of metal that prevents you from sliding the seat forward. Lock that in and you are good. I'd explain it better if I drew it but you get the idea.
    Mount a flat plate to a custom type runner with a bolt lock threaded mechanism (Peg in hole style secured with nut and bolt), basically duplicating the way it locks the rails, then bolt the Saab mounts straight ontop of the plate which keeps the runners at right angles and stable. Would still be interchangeable too, as you could just unbolt it!

Last edited: May 6, 2017