1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saab Seats

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by beastieboy, Apr 26, 2017.

1. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I nearly lost my '99 9-5 a few months back - lost oil pressure on the Hwy on a trip to sydney. I discovered just how tough the 2.3l motor is.

Just stopped for a few minutes let the gunge drop off the oil pick up and off id go again - it would run for about an hour and half at high way speeds before it would block up again.

Dropped the sump cleaned the crud out, fit a new PCV system and the thing still rocks :) (Sorry I know this is a Kombi forum but this 9-5 wagon looks a bit ordinary in its GM puce green but it is the best car Ive owned)

What SAAB did you end up getting?

beastieboy likes this.
  2. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Sorry for the late response but better late than never.
    99 9-3 T5.
    Dropped the sump on mine and it was pretty good. Getting to the point where everything's nearly been looked over.
    Been busy boosting about in it. About to drop a TD04 in it real soon as I've had the ecu tuned for it some time ago. Think I've almost finished the car after 3 years but it will probably give me something to o do along the way. Fantastic machine. I'm back to give the Kombi some love though when the weather picks up. Long overdue but I'll get there. Still buying parts for it and stacking them up. Actually need to get them on the van. About $700 of stuff collecting dust.
    Ment to get classic rego last year but got slack. This year I was 150% going to do it,and then Covid struck. Car club decided they weren't taking on members due to social distancing. So I'm back to square one again and don't particularly want to pay $800 a year in rego X 2 for both vehicles to be on the road.
    Saab seems to be asking a fair bit of upkeep from me in the last year or so. It rewards me back though for the effort which is good. Paid back in FUN.
    I've turned up here again for some van motivation. I'll drop in again soon. I'm still about. Good to see this place is still ticking along nicely :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  3. saabman

There is always something to do - they are NEVER finished :oops:

I’ve been spending mire time working on my daughters golf V what a POS they have turned out to be.

I’m off work for a while so I don’t drive my SAAB’s at all at the moment Just trying to get some work done on the Kombi. I started it when my eldest boy was born and he turns 5 in a couple of weeks :oops: and I haven’t progressed far. Hopefully before I go back to work I’ll have the paint done :eek:

beastieboy likes this.
  4. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Managed to collect a fair few doubles and triples of Saab parts myself. Haven't got everything but it's good to walk in the house and just pickup a replacement part here and there.
    How's your SID screen? I've fixed a few up over the years. I have about 8 SID of various types (4 different ones in total but I've got 3 models across the 4 styles, 8 in the box)
    If you need the LCD fixed, let me know, and I'll be happy to send one out for you. I do have a couple of 9-5 ones here, and certain one of them would fit your car.
    Then you don't have to decipher the broken pixels. Isn't that a great Saab thing!? I've ran one of my LCD fixes in the car for about 2 years and hasn't packed in yet.

5. saabman

yes the SID screen first thing I repair when i get a new SAAB :rolleyes:

I keep a few felx cables handy just in case.. I did a mod to give the 9-5 blinkers that run for 3 seconds after a single tap - and currently working on adding bluetooth to the original head unit - just had a bluetooth module arrive today to have a play with. Im hoping to build it into the head unit.

I used to have a bucket load of parts for the 99's and 900's but had to move a few years back and couldnt take them with me - it all went to the tip. Worth a fortune now (just like the 1979 900 turbo I gave away :oops: )

beastieboy likes this.
  6. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

I'd be interested in the Bluetooth head unit mod.
    You got a cassette or CD unit?
    I have 2 CD head units, so one I could tinker with, provided it doesn't need a code to operate.
    The one in the car never asks for a code, but haven't bothered slotting the other one to see what happens.
    I did see the Aux cable mod as well, but haven't looked into it much.

7. saabman

I ve done an Aux mod on both cars - it works good but you need to plug in the headphone socket.

in the 9-5 it has Tape and CD the 93 is just CD. To change head units you need to use a tech-2 tool to marry the head unit to the car.