1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saabmans Daughters Beetle

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by saabman, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

The old "donor trap" syndrome...............:D

Like, "I'll just buy this vehicle for useful parts".......and then when it gets home, one thinks, "this is too good to part out, and would be easy to fix up"...:rolleyes:

Next, you look like a "collector", when a couple more "donor vehicles" stack up in your yard..........(but don't get parted, because they are too good to part out!)

And that fine line, between "collector", and "obsessive hoarder" becomes very blurred! :eek:

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Blurred ??

How long till someone gets "told" :)

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Depends upon if they are married, or not! :D

The married ones tend to get "told", quite quickly!

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

yep
    almost before it happens :)

He could just hide the yellow one and say its dried a different colour . reaction to unseasonaly warm weather :rolleyes:

5. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

It was a hard decision- I was tossing up between this one and another one in Byron bay which was obviously past it .

That would have been easy take what I want and dump the rest before I got home.

This one though it's a bit tougher because it looks so good but when you get close the rust is in "all the usual places" the shiny paint job hides a lot of it.

I'll see how it goes when I start pulling it down - I'm tempted to do a quick :rolleyes: patch up and then convert it to electric......

I MUST get that damn T4 out of the way ........

6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

VW Owners partners need to understand this VW collecting problem is a disease that is not easily cured.

I tried sitting on 2 for a while and then suddenly another is in my front yard with on 3/4 of a motor.

I then was going to buy another one for parts to fix this up but Lucky Phil saved my ass there by buying another and him getting in trouble with the Mrs.

We just cant help it!

7. saabman

I'm lucky at the moment - I only have to get rid of the T4.

WhAt VWs have you got now ScottScott

8. Miss Leah

Miss Leah Member

Hey Berny, I haven't been on here for a while but glad to see you are still restoring Nat's beetle. Hope you are well! Leah

9. Syncro27

I have 3 VW's at the moment - two T3 caravelle GLs (one my syncro), the others - a recent white caravelle one and my black Golf. Nearly bought a 4th a few weeks back but I just didnt get around to viewing it before it sold.

With all your space Bernie - you need lots more!

10. saabman

Hey Leah,
    Great to hear for you.

Doing well here. As you can see Nats neetle is coming along.

Scott where on earth do you keep all those vans at your place ?

11. saabman

We set ourselves the goal of having the beetle running this weekend.....

[​IMG]

Nat managed to break a couple of nails in the process :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

12. saabman

We watched the world record of 1min 4 secs (I think that was the right time) for a bit of inspiration.

We weed doing well till we couldn't slide the engine back far enough to clear the bell housing - turns out the car had been rear ended at some stage and shortend the engine bay enough to stop it coming out- a bit of pannel massaging with a big hammer gave us the clearer vw required.

The gearbox pissed a bigger challenge as one of the main bolts was rusted in.

Last night I finaly got the bugger out with lots of percussive persuasion and heat :)

13. saabman

Well have been busy working on the beetle of late and not much time for updates but last weekend we were set to have the beetle drivable but as always unexpected problems caused some delays and we didn't get it runing before Nats mum came to take her back to Sydney :(

Essentially we were working on getting the interior reinstalled and we managed to from
    [​IMG]

To
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We tried starting it up but found it only ran as long as I poured fuel down the carby. Serious case of blocked main jet.

We also tried fitting 6x9 speakers in the cards next to the rear seat - I nicely cut the cards - there had been 6" round speakers there previously. And reinforced the pannel with some 12mm ply for that improved bas response, screwed the speakers to the card and couldn't work out why it all wouldn't fit back into place - well gumby here didn't think for one moment to check the depth of the speakers i need another 40mm!

My plan is to draw up on the computer a set of 40mm spacers and print them on my 3d printer.

14. saabman

After playing with the carbies and checking the valve clearance and setting the timing statically i decided to do so. E research into the correct settings for the carby and distributor as it has a 009 dizzy fitted.

Well it loos like this engine was a bit of a bitsa as there is no 30deg marking on the pulley to set the timing correctly and the jets are

Main 120
    Air correction 125z
    Idle 50
    Power 65

Form what research I have done this would be the jet settings for a sp1500 with vacuum dizzy and is far to lean for a 1600dp with the 009 dizzy.

I am led to believe it should be
    Main 130
    Air 127.5
    Idle 50
    Power 65

So I should realy get a vacuum dizzy and also the correct jet sizes.

15. Syncro27

Yes Bernie - get a SVDA vacuum dizzy to save cooking that donk.

love how keen your daughter is with this project - there is hope for mine maybe??

16. saabman

That's been my thought Scott

I've noticed a jk sell one at a pretty good price - either that or try and find what will probably be a flogged out original one.

There is hope, I got worried a few years back when I was taking nat down town in the kombi and she suddenly doubled over apparently in pain. - turned out it was just some of her friend s were walking down the street and she didn't want them to see her in the kombi o_O

17. Syncro27

How funny...

My girls still dont mind being in the syncro and were happy in the bay - because they are "cool" these days - the vans that is.

However, teenage years are looming close so who knows what will happen then.

I am happy as long as I am embarrassing my kids - which I am quite good at and if they dont want to be seen in my kombis - too bad for them and all the better for me!

18. saabman

Nat made me pick her up from the back of the movie theate one day cause her friends were out the front - so after I picked her up I drove around the front and beeped and waved to her friends .

But one day nat realised other people - boys inparticular - thought the Kombi was cool so things changed.

19. saabman

Well I can safely say I hate beetles - definantly hitlers revenge on the world.......

The engine came out today to replace the clutch which let go right at the top of the peddle travel onoy to find the clutch still had plenty of meat on it :eek:

Pulled the clutch cable out to find it was significantly frayed and was in need of repair AND it was 20mm to short - no wonder the clutch had no peddle travel. Now getting the clutch cable out of a stinking beetle is nothing like a kombi the damn cable attaches to the peddles inside the chassis tunnel - I had to pull the pedle set out to unhook the cable to extract - getting the new one back in is going to be hell!

The bushes around the rear torsion bar are shot so off with the rear gards and wheels and cv joints to extract the torsion bars.

The designer of the beetle I hear went to work for citreon ..........

20. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Yes, getting the new cable in will be tough even for a contortionist. Many cut an access hole (and -refit with retainer bolts etc) on top of the tunnel to provide easy access without having to remove the pedal assembly. Less stress next time if the car is to be a keeper. Also, while the peddle assembly is out make sure finger thing the cable attaches to is not worn (it most likely will be and may snap some time down the road) and reface. Done once - done for a bloody long time.