1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SC and DC utes - tying down loads

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by BrissyGeorge, Nov 23, 2014.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Every now and then I have to carry an item that needs to be restrained on the tray - BUT no tie down points - maybe that's why gates are so dinged up on the inside - things just rattle around!

How have other ute owners solved this?

2. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

We took a large load to the tip last weekend we use ratchet type tie downs with the flat webbing. We lower the gates and feed the webbing through the gap, put sides up and ratchet away. Works a treat.

Grantus likes this.
  3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Exact same solution that I use here too! :)

As you tighten, the webbing moves freely until the hook reach the gates, and can't fit through the gap. It also stops any risk of bending the gates, like overtightening does over the top of the gates.;)

4. IN2VWS

IN2VWS Member

I had the same problem, I have to haul a bike in the back of a single cab.

I bought these retaining plates from the VW dealer. They are from a T4 transporter to mount the seats in the rear of the van. The VW part number is 703883281.
    They fit in the cross channel under the floor. The nut is already welded to the plate. Then I just bought some eye bolts with an M10 thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ruby6689 and vassy69SC like this.
  5. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

There are original tie down points in the 4 corners of your tray where the hoops and bows fix to. I'ts a metric thread bolt size. Can't recall size. Just thread an eyelet bolt in. Job done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ruby6689 likes this.
  6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member