1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seating advice before paint n panel

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by mr happy, May 13, 2019.

1. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Guys,
    Alfie is off at the end of the month for paint and panel. I'm after advice around seating rails / mounts as i'd prefer not to have to mess about too much once the van gets back which may damage new paint especially if any welding is required. As a self confessed newbie and this being my first kombi i was wondering if you seasoned people can look at the following photos and tell me whats original and what isn't in terms of seats / rails. My take is that the seats are after market with the driver seat rails maybe original, the passenger seat mount looks a bit home made. The fixings in the van look original to me.
    Having read a few of the posts about replacement seats it looks like i could be in for a bit of an uphill struggle finding front and seats associated hardware, are there any easy options here? Won some original seats on ebay just a couple of days ago but the seller cancelled on me
    Also i have the original rock n roll seat but its in poor shape, if i use it as a template and remake in a suitable material is this enough to pass an inspection? The original vehicle plate is 4 person compliant and i will ensure all seat belts are also compliant.
    Anyhow have a squizz at the following pics and thanks for your help, its always great,

Mr h

IMG_0352.JPG IMG_0350.JPG IMG_5441.jpg IMG_3009.jpg IMG_3011.jpg IMG_3013.jpg IMG_3014.jpg IMG_3015.jpg

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I’m a bit noob with bays as well but I believe that is the 2nd last setup where the passenger seat doesn’t move.

The first base you show they have added after market sliders so the passenger can adjust.

The second seat has the original slider

Now - the seats are aftermarket.
    They are SAAS which are pretty good.
    You “should” get them engineered but I’m guessing they are ADR approved so wouldn’t be too difficult should you go that way.

Personally I would recover and put them back in.
    You have the original bases there should you find originals later.

The other option is to get some late(r) bay / T3 bases (wrecker or Buttybits) and put the SAAS on them.
    It will be easier to find something to fit in original VW later.

As for your RnR - good luck.

Do you want to carry people on that seat while driving? Or is it just for sleeping?
    I doubt that is original VW.
    Reckon they will want engineers report

mr happy and TeeBee like this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I would suggest dump all the seats.

Original...

The passenger seat should have a matching folded metal with cutouts as is on the outer position.
    You can see where it's been bolted in the central position.
    The cross bar on the seat clips in the cutouts.
    There is a hook that retains the seat back that screws to bulkhead at upper of seat back.

Drivers side.
    A pre 76 seat runner.

RnR seat won't pass now.
    Will need a new frame etc from just kampers.

All can be painted as is now if you want as the RnR will be drilled and bolted thru with minimal paint damage.
    ( Check out RnR seat install by rstucke.)

Alternative for slight more comfort is fit T3 front seats which require new runners as Barry mentioned.
    This would require welding .

Probably easier to find original seats as find a good set of T3.

Seats from other vehicles possible.
    Squab height often an issue.
    They would need engineering but you are likely going to need that for RnR anyway.

Damage fitting aftermarket or other vehicle seats shouldn't be a problem for new paintwork.

mr happy likes this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

What mounts you have on the car are original,both sides,you are missing one of the passenger side mount that should be bolted on.
    Seats are not and the runners that have been added don't look like kombi ones,as the adjustment is on the right of that seat where kombi seats that I own the adjustment is on the left side of the drivers seat.
    Rock n roll is an original 3/4 seat in need of some repairs.
    What you do to with seats is really up to you,Finding original seats might be an exercise in itself. If you are happy with what you got (like them comfortable etc) get them recovered.
    RNR is another issue with approving the old seat and getting a new one might be the better option ,especially if the car is rated as a 4 seater.

mr happy likes this.
  5. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

The RnR is original from the 1977 dormobile conversion done when the van was new, does that hold any weight when looking for certification?
    Mr h

6. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Happy to purchase new RNR if thats what it takes, i bought the van as a basket case so need to wade through the boxes of parts as there may be another seat mount hiding in there somewhere

Mr h

Wayne murray likes this.
  7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

No, if the bus is out of rego., it’ll all have to be complianced before re-registering it.
    That’s how it goes in NSW , anyway.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

mr happy likes this.
  8. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Think I'll be on the hunt for originals, but good to know that i can get him on his way to the panelman
    Mr h

9. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Good to know, i sort of suspected that would be the case
    Cheers
    Mr h

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As Mark said...
    Same for all states.
    Unregistered and it's all bets off usualy.
    Some grey area on conversions ( roof cut ) and sometimes a bed might get passed but a good chance that roof will pass but less so for a bed which gets checked due to seating requirements.
    A bed not used for seating passengers doesn't get assessed.

A change of registration from another state is also looked at with less vigour compared to something that's been unregistered.

Reality is that old RnR don't comply but may be overlooked sometimes due to conversion date.
    Anything obviously renewed I would expect to be picked on as needing to meet current standards.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Jethro and mr happy like this.
  11. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Ok guys,
    From above feedback it look like I need to look at getting an adr RnR to make the most out of my 4 seat manufacturers plate. I’m not a Puritan as such so would be happy to go with other non original seats and as Col said I can get them engineered at the same time as RnR.
    It is then reasonable to assume that seats from all main stream Aussie motors would be adr approved and I just have to find some that are of reasonable dimensions that don’t leave me with my head in the pop top? Do I then just grab the missing rails from buttysbits and attach everything securely for engineering inspection? Sounds simple on the face of it but sure there will be gremlins? Cmon guys burst my balloon?
    Mr h

12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Pretty much - but that’s the hard part.
    Generally you need a narrow squab/base (around 520mm) but it needs to be low.

Why not keep the SAAS?
    If there is no play in the hinges of the SAAS I would keep them and get them recovered.

You should be able to get the bases passed?

mr happy likes this.
  13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

X2 Barry comment .Use what you have already,Getting a paint job for the out side and get the interior reupholstered. Solves the seating issue.

mr happy likes this.