1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seating Regulations (Australian Standards)

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Farky66, Oct 30, 2012.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Sorry Rick,
    Thread hijack completed from me!
    Know you'll make that seat work/comply:cool:.
    Cheers

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

It is up to each state whether they conform to a certain rule. Engines from other states did not comply at that time. My '82 Range Rover had different engine than ones sold in NSW.

3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

I've had a few wines now

No matter what the bull shit regs say. Is your seating safe? how do you know it is safe? If you are happy with the safety of your seating ( if your not talk to someone you know who is) then do what it takes to get you to what you want (compliance).
    Considering how many cars are out there that will inflict gregarious bodily harm in the event of an accident ( air bags) my opinion is the whole of nsw system is f#C%Ed and the result is revenue. There's got to be a better way (safely).

David H likes this.
  4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. I sit in the front.:D

If I had children in child seats I'd be throwing my Camperize seat away. I would really worry more about the big hole in the roof of most campers.

Jethro and rstucke like this.
  5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I’d had a few whines too Rick, and get the same result.......;)

David H and rstucke like this.
  6. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

There's new regs for the kids as well. Something about submarining.

The hole in the roof is not mentioned in any of the Sopru stuff I've researched. I've turned mine into a roll bar and got rid of the lower fiber glass ( no probs with the signatory).

David H likes this.
  7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Legally it shouldn't matter. But in the real world.................

Read an earlier post of my experience.

Fact: AUVIS inspectors are only tradesmen and are not trained very well and would never have enough time to understand all of the regulations. Therefore the RMS has a special person that can be contacted by the inspector.

My 1990 T3 had a R & R seat installed by an ADR approved seat installer in 1990 which meant that I did not require to notify the RTA, obtain an engineer's report or have the vehicle inspected. In 1990 the RTA did not have records of seating capacity.

Years later the rules changed, things were privatised, although I doubt if rules were retrospective it may be a grey area. Last week I went to an AUVIS inspector for a blue slip so that I could have the RMS records show that it is a 5 seater to avoid any confusion in the future. I explained to the inspector that the seat was installed in 1990 and an approval sticker with an approval number was placed beside the compliance plate by the installer. The inspector thought that it would be OK but wanting to do his job properly decided to call the RMS. The inspector told the RMS the approval number and then the seat belt approval number as marked on the seat belts. He just added all of the information to my records and it is now listed as a 5 seater. This has been a bit of a concern as an engineer would not approve this seat to 2017 regulations.

So if you have trouble with getting a Sopru, Camperise or r&r seat conversion registered that has an approval number, ask the inspector to contact the RMS for clarification.

8. David H

Yeah...crash tested a Sopru into a pole in '77. Clutch pedal touching brake fluid reservoir. 4 stitches for me. Windscreen/ head outcome:confused:.
    Great progressive crumple chassis:cool:. Nice seat belt bruise for a week. 2/3rd strainer pole laid to ground. Kombi 1...Pole 0:D. Oh..& she lost her life in the fight:(.
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Only problem is you are in the
    ' crumple zone '.

Protection is VERY dependent on where and how you get hit/ strike object.
    I have also seen front hit where cabin roof and door frame untouched but deformed in roof behind B pillar rhs.

The cabin area is actually an attempt at a safety cell rather than crumple zone.

Primary safety is important in kombis.
    ie. Good ,tyres, brakes, shocks, steering, driver.

Dodgy repairs such as bogged dog legs, sills pillars, old seat belts that
    " saved a few bucks" , loose seats etc is asking for trouble.

Mordred and syncro like this.
  10. David H

Same for me. Front & A gone. B pillar took the load. Safety cell worked a treat:D.
    Yeah..don't drive under the influence...being my version of "primary safety" now;)!
    Cheers

11. Scott Neilson

Scott Neilson Member

G,day Jason,

Went to Greenslopes Dept of Transport today as I am in the process of getting info for my Kombi to go from a 2 seater up to a 4 seater. I have a 78 Camper that is very original & has the seatbelts sash & shoulder on back seat but i need to get it sorted & safe for my kids, insurance etc. Just wondering if you could let me know how you ended up, did you buy a new seat ? if so how much? I would also love to hear who you used for the engineers report etc. I am worried i will get a guy on a bad day & welcome working with someone who has seen this problem before. Thanks in advance. We are always down around Manly cruising around we might catch up one day. cheers

12. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Hey man. All I have is Clinton harry was the guy that done it. Po box 255, GEEBUNG. He was awesome turned up done the inspection and done plate on the spot. I think it was $400 cash and then I take the paperwork down to qld roads and it’s all done

13. Scott Neilson

Scott Neilson Member

Sweet mate ta. Let you know how i get on.

14. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

Good stuff man. It’s painless and free at qld rds to change if you have his paperwork