1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shifter bush

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by bilckster, Feb 3, 2009.

1. bilckster

bilckster Member

The gear stick started squeaking away recently whenever I would shift it up and down. side to side is fine. the source of the noise ended up being the centre shift rod bush. I sprayed some WD40 on it and the squeaking stopped. It looks like the bushing may have split but I can't be sure. Anyone had this problem before? Where would I get a new one and how hard would it be to fit with everyday tools?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

You should be able to get it from a dealer.

3. bilckster

bilckster Member

Thanks, Ill give them a call.

4. bilckster

bilckster Member

Does the bushing sit on the rod or on the flat plate with the hole in it that is attached to the underneath of the van? If it sits on the rod then I should be able to pull the rod out and put a new bushing on. If it sits on the plate however I'm going to have to remove the fuel tank to get in there and that doesn't look like fun.

5. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

The bush fits into the vertical plate. Before removing the tank, it looks like it may be able to be installed after removing the shift rod. I would try installing it from the rear over the tank.

6. bilckster

bilckster Member

I thought that would be the case. It's a damn tight spot to get into. Anyone know anyone with loong skinny arms? :).

I'll give it a crack on the weekend.