1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping from the US/UK - “Planet Express”

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Hutchie, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Hutchie

Hutchie Well-Known Member

Just thought that I would pass onto the group what I think is a pretty good option for shipping items (small and large) from the Us to Aus. For a little while now I have been using a shipping company called “Planet Express”, there are probably similar company’s out there but I just happened across this one and have been quite happy with their service.

The process is pretty simple:
    • Log onto their website and create an account. There are two types of accounts you can create. “Standard” and “Premium”. With a the Standard account you will get a mailbox in the US and UK and 10 days free storage for items (There is no ongoing service fee associated with the standard account, ie it will cost your nothing to keep it). With the Premium you get 2 mailboxes in the US (1 in Oregon which is tax free) and 1 in the UK, you also get 45 days free storage and (this is the kicker) the ability to consolidate packages from different vendors). Premium requires an annual subscription of USD $50
    • After you create the account you will be asked to deposit a small amount into it just to ensure that everything is sorted. Don’t worry whatever you deposit at this point can be used toward ongoing shipping charges.
    • Now make your purchases and have them shipped to your new US/UK address. I have only used it for the US so far and with a lot of my purchases: RMW, GW, BD etc, providing free shipping in the US.
    • Once your package arrives in your “mailbox”, Planet Express will send you an email, and the clock starts ticking.
    • Log back into your account, select the package/s and then complete the customs declaration, and then select “mail out”. From here you will be presented a range of options, UPS, FEDEX, DHL etc and select the one that best suits your needs. I have have been quoted USD$90 to ship a single item to Aus from a vendor and have found that by using Planet Express the shipping has been at least halved in some cases. Now here is where your premium account can save some extra in shipping. If you purchase multiple items from different vendors you can have Planet Express unpack the separate packages, remove some of the packing material and re-pack into a single package (cost is $5 for the service and $2 for every package to consolidate). The cost savings by consolidating can be substantial.
    • Planet Express will send you another email once the package has been sent with all of the tracking details.
    I have been using this service for about 18 months now without a hitch, its simple, it works and saves money on shipping. There are two ways to sign up, either directly from their website, or PM me and I can send you a link. If you sign up using my link I receive $5 credit if you ship something within the first month. Enjoy

Syncro27, Wattie, Glyn Wood and 5 others like this.
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Excellent.
    Well explained.
    Certainly restrictive to buy from US normally.

3. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Thanks Hutchie, I use a mate in the US for this and he hates me!

oldman likes this.