1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side Mirror not staying in place at high speeds

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by bilckster, Jan 6, 2009.

1. bilckster

bilckster Member

My side mirrors (especially the LHS one) do not stay in place once I get up around 80kms/hr. The wind seems to knock them around a bit.

I tried tightening the spring inside the bottom section of the mirror but after tightening it the bolt came loose from the mirror.

My question is:

Is there a very strong 2 part epoxy (or any glue of equal strength) that will be suitable for holding the allen bolt and mirror together even when the pressure of the spring is placed on the join?

I've looked at the below link and there seem to be some good industrial strength 2 part epoxies out there but I've had trouble finding what I need at Bunnings or Super Cheap Auto. Any other places I should be looking?

http://community.livejournal.com/anachrotech/341901.html
    The two parts that need to fit together and stay together permanently have been circled in red below.

The joint properly connected
    [​IMG]

The allen bolt that needs to be glued to the mirror join
    [​IMG]

The mirror join that needs to be glued to the allen bolt
    [​IMG]

Cheers,

Steve

2. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Hey Steve, I wouldn't expect any glue to be anything other than a temporary fix, as there isn't a great amount of contact....

BTW, from which model is that mirror (that info may help) as I don't recognise it...

3. bilckster

bilckster Member

it a T3 1982 Transporter Microbus. I was thinking the same thing but don't really want to fork out on a new mirror.

4. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Have you got any of that thin plumbing tape? - you might be able to wrap it around the bolt to squeeze it in tightly.... (it might work as a temporary fix, until you have the $$$ for a new mirror...)

5. bilckster

bilckster Member

It's not a matter of getting it in the hole tightly. It's just when I screw the bolt on the underneath to place more tension on the spring that it pulls the bolt out.