1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single cab t3 - how rare

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by Citrus Poisoning, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Citrus Poisoning

Citrus Poisoning New Member

Morning ladies and gents.

I currently drive a mazda wagon, and am running the risk of falling asleep while driving....so boring!!

So as a result, I'm looking for a t3, which I've always loved (big family, requires big vehicles, so my parents had 2, one aircooled, one wasserboxxer. Fell in love from an early age haha)

Am looking for a Ute or van, but preferably a single cab, which brings me to my big question.

I understand how rare the sinka is, as only approx. 80 came into the country. There's one on Gumtree right now(you've probably seen it) which looks a bit rusty. Is it worth just snapping it up, because they don't pop up very often? Or do they come up for a reasonable price (under 20k) more often then I expect?

Also, does anyone know about the car I'm talking about? Maybe give some insight as to what it's been through - is it a rust bucket - has it sat outside its whole life? ...etc.

I don't mind spending a bit to get it in good shape, but don't want to be dealing with a basket case.

Thanks for reading my rambling!!!

2. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

Which one are you looking at? Share a link

3. Citrus Poisoning

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

been for sale for a while;)
    overpriced to hell in my view and will cost a bit to rectify rust so stick with up to 20k on a really clean one would be much less painful and cheaper/better outcome is my suggestion.

check Grants t3 sc resto thread .
    luckyphil and Grant will have much more accurate prices and observations

5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

cbus likes this.
  6. Citrus Poisoning

Thanks guys. I did suspect this one would be beyond repair.

Am basically looking for a daily driver with solid engine/drivetrain, and a (largely) rust free but not necessarily perfect body that I can slowly build up to something sweet.

That Dc looks pretty good Phil, might give him a ring.

Thanks for info.

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Luckyphil likes this.
  8. Citrus Poisoning

Holy moly grant, that's rooted. Thanks for the photos. I'll definitely be looking elsewhere!

Grant, have been looking at your sc, did you get any quotes on what your build would have cost if it was done by a professional?

Does anyone know the best guy for wbx rebuilds in Vic? (Preferably southwestern)

Just trying to make sure I know as much as I can before I buy haha.

9. Grantus

I approached a couple of panel beaters, but it seems that not many are still prepared to actually beat panels, and would rather bolt off and bolt on plastic bits to new cars, with high paying insurance companies.....o_O

I found one guy who does car restorations on vehicles much older than T3's, and he said the only way he would take the SC on, is if it was a full strip down of engine, gearbox and running gear out, full sandblast, on a rotisserie, and then a ground up rebuild. Cost: $15k to $20k.

I couldn't justify the cost for a workhorse spare vehicle.... so I thought I'd take on a hobby:(

AND...Welcome to the Kombi Club! :)

Luckyphil likes this.
  10. Citrus Poisoning

Thanks mate. Feel at home already :)
    I'll feel more at home when I actually have a kombi!

Thanks for all the knowledge, let me know if there's anything else I should know, that may not be mentioned in one of the info threads on here.

11. Grantus

Have a read of this link, and even print out a copy to take with you as a checklist for inspecting.

Post 86 Aus ones will all have MV engines, in the engine section. ;)

https://web.archive.org/web/2015022...ck-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/buy.htm

12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

That low and I expect without caution when on full look you'd rip the top of the front guards with the tyres.

Clean looker Phil :D

13. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Sold!

14. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

OMG...
    Someone actually bought that mess.

I thought on,y a splitty in that state would be purchased.

Lucky Phil has sent much better vans to their grave - and in the process saved many other marginally better ones.

Grantus likes this.
  15. Grantus

Sad that someone actually believed the sales speil from the owner, who sells new Jaguars and Range Rovers, for his full time job. o_O

We were told twice by the seller - "I've done all the hard work replacing the motor & gearbox and getting rego. The rust is the easy bit. Just get another one, cut out the rust and weld the good bits in!" :eek:

Love to know the actual final sale price......:rolleyes:

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

car salesman. what else can one expect:rolleyes:
    they never do any decent repairs themselves so wouldn't have the faintest idea except tell a bog shop what they are prepared to pay.
    wholesaled for $300??

17. Grantus

Should have been............

But I fear some, (probably young), innocent, was sold this "project" vehicle, for much more, based on the rareity, and the "easy fix". :(

Will keep an eye out for this one locally, and stop the driver to question them, if I see it. ;)

18. Grantus

A friend dropped by yesterday, and told me he spotted a lowered T3 SC the other day in Fyshwick ACT, (somewhere I go 2-3 times a week), so I hope we cross paths...;)