1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sliding door popping open

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Caravelle85, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Caravelle85

Caravelle85 Active Member

Hi all.
    The sliding door on my 91 keeps on popping open when I go over a bump, fortunately it catches on the latch so doesn't fly open but it is rather annoying. It's done it since I had the bus and I've been through everything on it looking for the problem but no joy. Problem does improve when everything is greased but it still happens. The door does have a dent in it so I'm wondering if that is possibly the problem or at least a contributing factor.
    Couple of questions on parts involving the sliding door....there is what looks like electrical contacts of some sort between the door and the frame (4 pins in the frame matched up to contacts in the door) - are these part of the central locking system? Also, what is the part inside the black cover pictured below?

Thanks

IMG_20190119_190320-2268x3024-1701x2268.jpg

IMG_20190119_190339-2268x3024-1701x2268.jpg

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Knowing very little of T3's I'd go with first photo as the electrical contacts & the second photo to be the 'hold it open' rear catch. Both these don't affect the door popping open. Which end is popping open....front or rear?
    Cheers

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

First pic, you’ve answered yourself :). Yes, it is the contacts for central locking of the slider.

The black cover is over the rear locking hold open latch..............and just had an alert, that David H is a faster typist! :p

Syncro27 likes this.
  4. Grantus

Here’s what it looks like behind the door card: ;)

59F49F28-9AF6-4698-9393-D5F0EA4D9AE8.jpeg

5. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

The first thing to check is are the rollers and alignment correct (is it easy to use the door?)
    I spent a lot of time on mine (had the same issue). I ended up getting a good second hand latch (rear of door that catches the pin) and the problem went away. There was a fair amount of wear inside on the latch mechanism on mine.

The latch has two "clicks" as it closes. Make sure it's catching on the second clock when it's closed.

6. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

It will be the rear latch thats stuffed - usually the spring gets weak (its the latch covered by the black flap in Grants photo).

I had to replace that part on my white caravelle to stop the same problem.

You need a good second hand rear latch - easy to replace (if you can get the screws out) - the rod is just a circlip. Undo the front circlip as its easily accessible first then you can pull back and get to the rear one.

Must remove the door card first. :D

robbie0810 likes this.
  7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If your spare in other bus doesn't sort it give a yell.
    (See how important spares busses are ) :D
    Can try the one in my parts "3" if years /parts match.

8. Grantus

I’ve not had the door pop, but I did have trouble getting it to close at one stage.

Turned out the adjustable striker bolt mounted on the body was loose. Quick tighten in the correct position, and all was well again.

Worth checking that yours is tight......:rolleyes:

A2D3BD04-4884-4623-B84C-E2F32E9B0B3C.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    robbie0810 likes this.
  9. robbie0810

robbie0810 Member

A few of us discussed the same problem a couple of years ago, here:
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads...r-latch-replacement-repair.54479/#post-592304

The springs get weak and the latches get worn. I did source a mkii Golf door latch with the same part number, but got my existing one working by dismantling, cleaning and regreasing and the new one is now ready as a backup. I think I also did a bit of filing so the catches mated better.

Also, as Grant suggested above, it may help to adjust the strike pin so that it is further into the latch mechanism with the door closed.

Good luck - at least the door doesn't open fully when you go around a bend like mine did!

Syncro27 and Grantus like this.
  10. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

There are definite differences between early and late latches though the hold open latch/catch appear to be universal regardless of year :)

David H and Grantus like this.
  11. Caravelle85

Thanks all for the replies and link to the other thread. I'll take a look at that rear latch this week. Col, I'll let you know how I go with fixing up what I have and maybe look at your spare if needed/if it's the right year

Looks like the part number is 252843603A

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

My parts bus is an 88.
    Same pin as photos.
    The " peril" being 83 has a striker plate like a bay as mentioned by Chris.

Dapom likes this.
  13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Just thinking ..............

Seeing as I was good and put my bump stop in .............

Would not having the bump stop cause this.
    I have had issues previously to putting the bump stop in, where the rear light would come on.
    Didn’t really say the door popped open, seemed shut(ish) to me, but the light was on.

Was thinking it would cause a gap when you shut it, and yes, if the catch was weak.

Anyway, as said, just thinking.............

14. Caravelle85

Thanks Barry, good thinking. Will have a look at the bump stop when I'm in there

15. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Barry, might just be that the bump stop is pushing the door forward and properly cancelling the door striker switch.???

16. Grantus

I could be wrong, but isn’t the bump stop located at the fully opened end of door travel, and therefore have nothing to do with the closing and latching position? o_O

17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Unless I put it in the wrong position?
    Should be just touching when closed?

Grantus likes this.
  18. Grantus

Never personally replaced one...... so I’d have to credit your info as being more valid than my assumption.

19. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

A5BD4D08-C622-4C88-96F2-F6F8D80F94EC.png Door closed position and “runner thing” ( VW technical term) against bump stop

Grantus likes this.
  20. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

You can just see the horizontal bit that holds the bump stop

Grantus likes this.