1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sloop Reef

Discussion in 'Tas' started by Rocky, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    we spent a few years living in Launceston, initially with a 74 micro, then a 76 camper. We spent a lot of time drivng around coastal tassie and loved all the free camping available down there, nearly always a beach to ourselves... Our favourite stopover was Sloop Reef on the east coast, from memory it was just north of St Helens, it has a dirt track leading in, fires allowed most of the time, beautiful white beach, nearly always had it to ourselves. In short, it was a very pleasant spot to relax in the quiet for a few days, dogs allowed, scallops in plentiful supply, crays available diving off the beach(apparently). very nice, one of many in tassie.

Cheers, Chris and Kate

2. nikferatu

nikferatu Active Member

It may take me five or ten years but I will be going there by the sounds of it!

3. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Well worth the wait I reckon, pretty well any where in Tassie we found similarly appealing spots, whether it was waterfalls, mountains, rivers, beaches...... it has it all.

Cheers, Chris

4. Camperstud

Camperstud New Member

Hey Rocky, we are seriously gonna check this one out while we are down there. This is exactly what we're after, quiet, secluded spots in beautiful Tassie where we can just pull the kombi over, get the annex out and crack a fireplace.

Do you have any other secrets you wouldn't mind sharing?

Cheers, Matt

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

From memory, just about every dirt track and most bitumen in Tassie will take you to something special, there are a few good books about camping in Tassie, all are small and glove boxed size. The two we carry in tassie are

-1- Camping Guide To Tasmania, by boiling billy publications... ours has an Angus and Robertson sticker on the back, but I just looked on http://www.boilingbilly.com.au/store/index.shop and found the latest edition for $13.00.

-2- Free Camping in Tasmania, by S&S Collis. THis we also got from Angus and Robertson. Also listed on the back is :
    Free Camping Australia ph (08)97318202

personally, the second was my favourite, although they are very different and really did complement each other nicely. here is a scan of the sloop reef page from the second book.... where it says to turn left or right, we used to always turn left to the southern end of a beautiful beach, the camp site among the trees, just above it. Dogs allowed, fires allowed, loved it. [​IMG]

6. Camperstud

Camperstud New Member

Thanks Chris! That sounds absolutely perfect!
    There is an A & R just up the road so i'll go check out those books.
    Cheers,
    Matt

7. Elroy Waggins

Elroy Waggins Member

That is awesome info!
    We are heading to Tassie in a few weeks and wondered about the camping, campfire side of things, will definitely be checking out sloop reef.
    Thanks for the heads up. :)

8. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

9. Zozo

Zozo Member

We should be heading down the east coast of tasmania for a week or so beginning tommorow, can anyone recommend a good VW shop in or around hobart for servicing of a Kombi... I thought she was running ok, but the hills here in tasmania say otherwise.

Thanks
    - Adam

10. Frankie

Frankie New Member

Mechanic

Try Andrew Robinson in Moonah or Leigh at Tyre Express Hobart cbd. I use both and have been very happy with their work and prices.

11. Zozo

Zozo Member

Thanks Frankie,

Unfortuatly the poor kombi decided to have a hissy beofre its service and ended up going to see leigh on a tow truck!! but hes being very helpful and getting a rebuilt motor for us!! thanks for your recomendation leighs been great thus far.

-Zoe & Adam

12. Frankie

Frankie New Member

Hobart Mechanic

Oh dear your bus is there too? I towed mine in on a trailer last Friday, the motor was sent to Ulverstone on Monday to be rebuilt. I noticed a very nice orange delux Leigh's working on, he must have 3 kombi shells in there at the moment.

13. Zozo

Zozo Member

haha yeah saw the orange one apperently the owners selling that one! so yours must be the green one! we saw your engine being packed!!!! I beleive there sending yours up and sending one back in what yours was sent up in for us!

14. Elroy Waggins

Elroy Waggins Member

Hey,
    those look like some nice spots kombidad,
    when was it that you went there?

15. Frankie

Frankie New Member

Hobart Mechanic

Yep, the green pop topless, windowless and now motorless kombi is mine :cry: . He has seen better days, hopefully with a rebuilt engine, new pop top and re-spray he will take us on many more camping trips this summer.
    I hope your bus has a speedy recovery:) .

16. Zozo

Zozo Member

me hopes so too!!! theres still so much of tassie to see yet!

17. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

It was in Feb 2002. Still have to go back as I only saw part of what was on offer. Some scout leaders that I met at a Jamboree advised that Feb was the best time down there. It is after the school holidays and before it gets cold again though I must admit I don't mind camping in the cold. I have camped (in a tent) in the snow before today. They also advised that late in the year can get some late cold snaps that make it unpleasant for those who don't like camping in the cold.

18. Leigh77

Leigh77 Member

I seen your bus in at the shop today, Leigh had the engine on the pallet ready to put it in by the looks of it, thats a shame it died on ya travels, but its in very good hands.... :)

Also along the same road where sloop reef is, also check out the other camping area's, cosy corner north and south, jenneret beach, etc, lots to do (surf, snorkel etc), and if anyone is around st helens between the 28th Dec and 4th Jan, keep an eye open, i'll be there in my Orange bus waving, lol

19. Zozo

Zozo Member

We hope to be back on the mainland by then, but with a kombi, you never know what could happen.

I'm determined to wait around tasmania until there is swelll, as I'd like to go for a surf here.

If anyone knows any camping spots along south arm, it would be ideal. None of the myriad of camping books we have list anything along that particular peninsular.

Thanks
    - Adam

20. Frankie

Frankie New Member

Camping

Zozo, I saw your van Friday morning, I think I saw you driving through Sorell toward the city before your motor got all cranky. I remembered seeing your plate, do you really have one on board? Did you try Park beach at Dodges Ferry or the river mouth at Carlton for surf? I live down that way and surf there. Also came across a really nice caravan park just before Port Arthur, I'll be asking for site 44 when I get my van back, Eagle Hawk Neck is close by and gets ok surf, if your down that way.
    Redbill point at Bicheno is fairly consistant if you have time to divert when your heading back to the boat.

I should thank Norcoguy for his help finding Leigh, he's been great to deal with, explains everything and has worked super fast. So Thanks....:) :) :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008