1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow clutch pedal return

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Stormin12345, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

When you put you engine back in after you replaced clutch etc, Did you release the tension on the cable before putting the engine back in? (winding the wing nut back out)

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I’ve had a truck licence for more years than I’d like to admit.

The road ranger gearbox, still takes the prize for the most difficult to master……..

upload_2021-9-17_18-23-3.png

Wiz likes this.
  3. Grantus

Worth noting the sound of the revs, (or looking at the tachometer if you have one), each time you change up a gear, or down a gear, with the clutch working, before you try without using the clutch.

Just a matter of matching the engine revs, feathering the accelerator, for the speed you are travelling at, to reduce the revs changing up, or increasing the revs changing down, before selecting the next gear, to allow it to slot in without a crunch.

Dead easy, when you get that bit sorted. ;)

Red lights, or stop start traffic, does require engine off, select 1st, and use the starter motor to get moving again.

As Terry has pointed out, reverse is a bit trickier, but the above should get you home, or to a mechanics shop, to sort the clutch issue, without the need for a tilt tray ride.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    oldman, Wayne murray and Wiz like this.
  4. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Road ranger.png

and then some mongrel swaps the gears over on the ends of the cluster shafts and turns it into an over drive box .... then 3rd & 4th, 7 & 8th are swapped around ...... being a truck mechanic in my previous life, I had to learn every different combination of every different make and model gearbox .... the twin stick Mack's and the two stick Acco with a 5 speed in the normal position and a 3 speed splitter (with a pull switch to get deep reduction) located between the drivers seat and the door ...... only way to get any gear was to double clutch and both hands were busy with the gear sticks and both legs working the clutch (that weighed a tonne) and the accelerator .... so you couldn't even use your thighs to direct the steering ...... had to learn to drive that one on the fly in a 10 yard tipper with 18 ton of super phosphate on its back through the old roads of Tassie ..... steep hills and sharp bends, then through farmers paddocks to get the air strip on the side of a hill .... Thankfully I was in my early twenties then and still thought I was invincible :lol:

T1 Terry

Grantus likes this.
  5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

@T1 Terry
    @Grantus

whoa!………. How the hell do scratch your nose while you’re driving?

6. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

I was fortunate enough to drive Maseratis at Sandown Raceway a few years ago.
    One of the weirdest things was the dual sequential gearbox doing all of that for me while my left foot was buried in the brake pedal and both hands holding on to steering wheel for dear life.
    PR

T1 Terry and Barry like this.
  7. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

When you finally reach that bottom gear and then slowly crawl up the hill, similar going down the steep part on the other side ..... a corner in an uphill climb is real interesting, the clenched butt muscles stop you from sliding around in the seat :lol:

T1 Terry

Wayne murray and Barry like this.
  8. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Yes it was all wound back before I put the motor back in

9. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Thank you! - sounds like it’s quite doable with a bit of practice. Not sure I’d say the same for the truck gearbox’s I had no idea they were so complex

10. Wiz

Wiz Well-Known Member

You just thought all that revving the engine as the truck slowed down at a roundabout was the truckie showing off.

One tip for you to try (when safe to do so) is to apply light pressure to the gear lever and note at what engine speed the gearbox pops out of gear and into neutral.
    PR

11. Titch

Titch Active Member

This might be the answer of an old idiot but I once had a clutch pedal that did not want to spring back when you took your foot off it. My temporary solution was to tie a length of string around the pedal and when I took my foot off pull the string up to lift the pedal back into position. Worked for a time till I got time to search out another solution. Ha! Ha!

12. Grantus

Nose is easy, with the back of your wrist, after wiping the sweat off you forehead….;)

Ball scratching is out of the question though. :D

oldman and Barry like this.
  13. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

So, did you get to the bottom of the problem
    is there a fix and if so what was it (for people who may have the problem in the future)

KahunaKombi, Wiz and oldman like this.
  14. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

@rstucke you timing is good, managed to get back out there on Monday and was planning to come back here with an update. After having sourced new Bowden tube (the one I had was 32cm long, correct one 35cm) and new clutch cable installed all before putting motor back in. I couldn’t tell any difference between the performance of the new and old pressure plate using the techniques suggested, but given the good condition of the old one I used that when reassembling the clutch to see if it made a difference. Put engine back in and crossed my fingers. Still more adjustment required in the wing nut than I would have liked but not wound to the end.
    Was able to drive out the garage and up the road and round the block! No clutch slipping, but it’s not far so only able to get into second, not a proper test but getting much further than before. So…that’s the good news, am thinking I have fixed it with using old pressure plate, but too many variables to be sure.
    Of course that’s the good news

15. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Sorry pressed post too soon….the bad news is that on the second tour of the block the bus got stuck in second…and ended up having to push the Kombi back into the garage as it needs to be reversed in (ain’t they heavy?!). That was late on Monday and ran out of time so had to call it a day - one step forward one step back!
    I am not thinking linkages as I replaced all bushes etc on all rods front to back, but need to check all that when I get back out there. Assuming shift linkages all ok am assuming I have a gearbox problem. I know oil is correct level as I changed it (and old oil was good and no lumps of metal on drain plug), but have no history on this box so no idea if it’s rubbish or not.

16. rstucke

I think you might have a cracked diaphragm in your new pressure plate (sometimes happens when they rivet new pressure plates together, I stand to be corrected). Send it back and have it checked.
    I'm rooting for you that this is OK now.
    Keep us updated one how it all goes.
    Cheers

17. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Thanks @rstucke, really appreciate all your and everyone else’s help to get to this point. Yes will be sending it back!

18. rstucke

Sent this message before your last post.
    If this gets out of hand
    bring it up to my workshop and I'll get to the bottom of it
    means a table top ride to the central coast
    offer is there

19. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Thank you - that is very good of you - I will go check linkages etc to the limit of my knowledge then I may take you up on that!

20. rstucke

no probs
    If you need it, it's there