1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow clutch pedal return

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Stormin12345, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You can't get it out of gear at all?
    I had 4 months ago in Newcastle, gearbox trouble were I only had one gear. Could get it out or any other gear. It ended up being the gear shaft selector bracket, that's in the nose cone of the gearbox, may be the same issue. No#19
    [​IMG]

2. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

No I can’t budge it out or gear at all, feels like I am going to break something if I push it any harder. My initial reading had me thinking it might be something like that. Was the bracket hard to source/replace (assume it’s a gearbox out job)?

3. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

I just read the Bentley manual. Doesn’t look like a job for a gearbox rookie!

4. Wayne murray

Sounds like it could be the same as what I had. It's a lot easier with gearbox out. I already had a spare bracket from a donor box I had. Don't know how easy it is to find one. Weddle industries in the US did sell them, last I looked Out of stock.
    https://weddleindustries.com/products/002-301-239/002-301-239
    It isn't to bad to take the nose cone off to have a look to see if it's broken and not difficult to replace. You may also need a gasket for the nose cone once you have taken it off.
    I also took the oil out of the gearbox before pulling it apart.
    I had thought of welding my selector bracket back together, don't know how that would go in service again. probably stronger then original unit, or possible to make a new one.

5. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

If you look closely you'll see the strengthening piece that helps prevent Broken bracket

P8180009.jpg

KahunaKombi and Wayne murray like this.
  6. Wayne murray

The extra C shape piece metal sitting side ways. Yeah don’ t have that in mine or the spring.

7. rstucke

The early ones didn't have the springs.
    I welded that little piece in on advice from Weddles
    The steel plate stops the bearings from eating into the nose cone

8. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

125A3A99-5B5C-4CAD-A3C8-4AE4C2D9A4B8.jpeg So some good news - after checking the linkages under the bus which were all fine I pulled out the gear stick - and found that the pin in the ball at the bottom of the rod had moved and fouled the spring causing it to get stuck. I can change gears by now moving the linkage under the bus - so seemingly no gearbox failure. When I put it together I did wonder if this would be a problem as the pin just sits in the bottom of the rod with a soring and seems free to move, which clearly is what it has done. When I look at Bentley diagram the pin looks fixed to the ball unlike mine. Does anyone know did this change with later models, and if so how do you keep the pin in place?

Attached Files:

Wiz likes this.
  9. Wayne murray

They are normally crimped on, You can see marks on the larger ball section,(in photo) were it was crimped to which hold the ball section on your pin.

10. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Many thanks Wayne - perhaps I am being dumb - are you saying the ball is crimped around the head on the pin? I have done lots of searching but can’t find much on this...but it does look like people replace the pins as they get worn.

11. Wayne murray

Yes the ball is crimped over part of the pin head, It isn't meant to stop the pin moving only to prevent it from coming out. In your case it didn't. As the little spring makes the pin move, and the head of the pin is like a ball bearing.
    I've welded parts if they have worn and grind/ file to put them back into the original shape.

oldman likes this.
  12. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

177D12A4-D5A7-49FE-A81E-60C46B1F6D53.jpeg 177D12A4-D5A7-49FE-A81E-60C46B1F6D53.jpeg A5E4E540-EEEE-403A-9582-213312165288.jpeg 9D885F80-5F68-4F43-931F-5B91E8FB17E2.jpeg 21A88676-CFA9-4111-BF3B-6D7087CE7703.jpeg A7932C56-49AE-4D2B-8CE3-5CBD13D4F5B1.jpeg 2D38C9E8-FD6E-4EAC-AF8B-0F70A1A6BF87.jpeg A7932C56-49AE-4D2B-8CE3-5CBD13D4F5B1.jpeg Great that makes sense thank you - I think I can see how it’s supposed to be having started with no point of reference. I can also see how I had it installed incorrectly before…and perhaps why if you read on. So I have managed to put everything back I as it should be and hold the pin in by crimping the ball over it, but then all seems very wrong. I have looked at this for hours to make sure I am not going mad before posting…but I think my gearstick is bent the wrong way. Have a look at the photos - the pin is sticking out that is supposed to sit in the notch of the ‘cup’ of the linkage to the rear, not the front. The pin can’t go the other way around as the ball of the stick is machined to accept the head of the pin on only one side. I have attached some pics that should explain…I’d love someone to tell me I am being stupid and how to fix this…the alternative is to try and bend the gearstick the other way (which I think would be beyond my tools/skills) or get a new one (anybody have one lying around?). Thanks again in advance

13. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

put the pin in so it goes out the front the spring then goes in and then the ball, I should have a couple of spare gear sticks in the shed I will get one out tomorrow and possibly post a couple of pics if the system works for me.
    Is that a weld just above the top pivot point?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    KahunaKombi and oldman like this.
  14. Wayne murray

It looks like to me it has been bent. Look at your photo, as the bend is shorter and sharper.
    In the photo I taken is more of a sweeping bend and further up the stick.
    Or the pin this pointing the wrong way . The pin should go towards the front of the car and the ball end back of car direction.
    With the stick bend at 30 degrees heading towards the drivers seat.
    If you can't get another one, At my Dad's place will bend it into shape for you.
    Wandering why previous owner has bent it! What type of seats have you got?
    What part of Sydney do you live?
    IMG_0267.JPG

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  15. rstucke

Could be a stick that's been modified for a left hook?

16. Wayne murray

That is also possible! Thought it might of been a left hand gearstick, then I seen the bend.

17. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Do you mean turn the pin around like this? That might work and suspect how the previous owner had it set up, but want it to be right. I don’t think it’s a weld as there is some original looking paint on the front edge of the bend 47CF716D-CCAA-4F2B-8F42-A7397DF5E26C.jpeg

18. rstucke

not sure I'm right about the left hook
    But
    Counter drill the ball and put the pin in the right way and stake it, and that'll solve the problem

19. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Wow yes yours looks very different! This bus is originally an auto and was converted to manual in the bush many many years ago have uncovered many things not done correctly that I have corrected along the resto and suspect this is just another example but bizarre none the less. Have attached a pic of my seats I think original apart from cover on drivers seat (it’s a 74 model). I’m between North Sydney and Lane Cove. Any help to bend it correctly if I can’t get another much appreciated! 5B123CA5-C2CD-47FF-A72B-AF22D1502081.jpeg

20. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

I did think about that. My concern is that the ‘wider’ side of the hole that currently accomodates the wider pin head and spring goes half way into the ball. So if I drilled out the other side the same there would be no metal for the spring to push up against. I guess I could only counter drill a quarter way into the ball and cut down the spring so that it still fitted in.