1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow clutch pedal return

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Stormin12345, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Yes correct seats for a 74 model.
    If you can't get another, bending what you have wouldn't be a problem, You may see what grumble (KC member) has to offer, if he has a spare it will make your job easier. I did see one for sale recently as well.

2. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Meant to say in my last response if do you have a spare that you would be prepared to to sell me that that would be great. Thank you!

3. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2021
    BrianK, oldman and Barry like this.
  4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Not unlike Luckyphil’s Big Knob shifter in his T3……:cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Is that the " fix" for hard to select gears. ?
    :eek:

6. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

tongue in cheek

7. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

OK I have a gear stick from a 1973 and a stick from a 1976, the 73 pin faces backwards and the 76 faces forward. Apparently whoever did the conversion used parts from several vehicles. I can't load the couple of pics but if if the slot is in the front of the shift rod the 76 stick should fit. PM a mobile no and I will send the photos to you. Cheers Les

Barry likes this.
  8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Another master stroke from the design team at VW

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

fantastic thank you - have PM’d my number to you.

10. Wayne murray

The pins would all point the same way forward, they do on my 72 and 76 models:rolleyes:

11. grumble

Not on the 2 sticks that I have Wayne, 1 is out of a 73 and the other a 76 unless the pin has fallen out, it is covered in grease and I am not doing a clean tonight.

12. grumble

My apologies Wayne in the daylight and remove a heap of old grease and the 73 stick has the same disease as Paul's (the pin has slipped out of the back and the ball is missing) except the stick is not bent forward, the 76 stick looks pretty good for the age and hopefully will get him on the road again.

Wayne murray and oldman like this.
  13. Wayne murray

All good grumble,
    You mentioned the ball! Isn't the head of the pin the ball ,which can move via the spring in the middle and there is only two components and not three. I've never had one or seen one apart. The pin looks long enough to be both, I could be wrong.

grumble likes this.
  14. grumble

Wayne you are probably right too many years away from the nitty gritty,I didn't clean it up much as the other stick looked good and it was raining I will have a look later when the mood strikes, I was more concerned with getting the other stick clean and packed to go tomorrow so I could get some more done on my bedroom drawers and then a couple of beers.

15. Stormin12345

Stormin12345 Member

Update : Thanks to @grumble for helping me out with a replacement gearstick - I have got it in and working and driving around quite happily - all is good! Thanks everyone for your help as ever.

grumble, Wayne murray, tintop and 2 others like this.
  16. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Another satisfied KC customer

oldman likes this.
  17. grumble

Pleased to see that you got the stick fitted and adjusted are mobile again. Cheers Les

oldman likes this.
  18. Campervanstu

Campervanstu Active Member

Hi, Just picked up on this thread and glad to hear you got there in the end. I have the exact same problem as your initial clutch pedal issue.

I have just put back in my rebuilt 1800 (1911cc) motor and 002 gearbox which was bench tested with the gearbox attached and put back in as a complete unit. Refaced flywheel new clutch, release bearing and cable. The bus came as a stripped down non-runner so this is the first time it has ever been close to running in 4 years.

I have added washers to the bowden tube, which made it better but there is little resistance. When I remove the cable and work the clutch lever by hand at the gearbox there is some resistance but it doesn't take much effort. I don't want to pull the motor but will check the length of the bowden tube again later this week and compare. Did you ever pinpoint the exact fault of the clutch pedal issue?