1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smell of fuel

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Jason Smith, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

hi all. Just had a full tune up and carbies rebuilt. I have noticed when the van is parked up I can smell fuel from the air scoops on the rear of the bus. Nothing major but just thought I would ask if that’s normal?

2. tintop

tintop Active Member

carby engines will always smell of fuel (a bit)...solex carbies will dribble a bit after you switch off. nevertheless, it's worth checking all of the fuel tank venting pipe connections and the fuel filler rubber elbow and hoses.

David H likes this.
  3. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Member

No worries. Mechanic said everything has been checked but just wanted to make sure others have the same smell etc. thanks for the reply

4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Not normal to have a fuel smell:(. Maybe one of the elbows on the fuel system (outside the carb/tune) your mechanic missed?
    @cbus good at this & @KahunaKombi has the schematic for fuel system;).
    Cheers

5. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I agree.
    Get another opinion

6. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Check all these rubber connections 7423FFAE-5562-413E-90E2-B1346F27CECC.jpeg

David H, Grantus and Barry like this.
  7. grumble

grumble Active Member

The rubber "T" piece No 15A is a common source of the fuel smell and as the tubes are usually secured to the top of the engine bay insulation it is easily missed. If you need one I still have a few new ones.

8. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

24 is the other one that is a known issue. Its is up behind the spare wheel well in the engine bay and is commonly damaged. If you haven't ever replaced it do it as a mater of course. simple piece of fuel hose pushed on.

Adrian