1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoke but Handbrake won't hold

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Ian and Shelley, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

Hi..
    Recently replaced brakes shoes, all springs etc in rear wheels but still cannot get the handbrake to hold. It works on a flat surface but any slight gradient and it rolls away...

I have adjusted shoes to fully tighten and then backed them off 3 clicks and also tightened handbrake cable.

I can adjust drums to NOT move but once baked off. Drive this morning and had them too tight as she was smoking away something crazy..

When cables are pulled the wheels still turn even when cables are fully tightened.. I tried adjusting cables to the max but when pulled there is very little movement at the drum...

I am incorrectly adjusting brakes for them to lock up but still not hold on handbrake?

Could the "spreader" thing be worn so that shoes don't move required amount to hold under hamdbrake?

The cables when fully tightened up at front, still sseems to have flex as they enter the drum?
    Could this be incorrectly installed?

The cables move freely front to back, BRAKE shoes New, drums clean, foot brake operates drums good...just can't get handbrake to hold..

All suggestions most welcome..

Thanks Ian and Shelley

2. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

if the drums have been machined and you've got standard shoes you might not have much contact area...take a drum off and see how much...and then determine if you think they will 'wear in' or if you need drums and shoes that match

3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

My guess is the pads aren’t equal - as in they are probably grabbing at the bottom but way off at the top.
    Trying to turn my hand it will grab.
    Don’t know exact procedures for your brakes but there should be some way to get pad touch on the whole drum and not just at the bottom

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As both post above suggest

Having trouble finding specs as can't find my Bentley but think wear limit on drum ID is 253.5mm ( ratwell)
    Think Kai posted a length for spreader bar but can't find it .

Hopefully others may have the info.

Have had wear on spreader being a residual issue after fitting all other new parts.

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

6. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Check the tube that the cable runs through, make sure that where it is welded to the chassis, the welds arn’t Broken, it’s welded in a few spots