1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solex Carburetor Functionality

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Chris Williams, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Chris Williams

Chris Williams New Member

Hello, I am trying to rebuild a carby that came with the Kombi. It appears to be missing some parts according to the manual and rebuild kits. The carby I have is the SOLEX 32-34 PDSIT 2-3 type. I have circled the parts which are missing (in red), which according to the parts list are : HOT IDLE VALVE and THERMO CUT OFF VALVE.
    Does anyone know what these parts do, and if they are in fact required for a 1976 Bay Kombi?

Also, should both carby's (one on each side) have the IDLE CUT OFF VALVE installed? Only one of my carby's seem to have it, the other carby has a screw inserted instead.

Appreciate any advice anyone can provide please.

Chris

Attached Files:

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Have a talk to 1500king. He has manuals and parts for them.

A warning: There are numerous different types and combinations. Also the left has the idle mixture system and feeds the right which you might already know. If you don't have a matching left and right you are in for issues. They are also different for 1700, 1800, 1800, auto, 2l and 2l auto with variations on additional jets, hot start enrichment and pollution controls. The jet sizes are also different for different set ups. The number stamped into the bottom of the float bowl is what he will need to identify them as a left and right and the way they are designed to set up as well as the engine they were off.

Cheers

Adrian

David H and Mr Beckstar like this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Mordred likes this.
  4. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Aha! I know which system I’d prefer if I was broken down beside the road!

If you want your engine to run smoothly, reliably and efficiently under a wide range of conditions then you need all the fruit that VW hung off the carbs and also the air intake system.

1500king will know most of the technical details (if not all!) if you tell him the stamped numbers under the fuel bowls from both carbs. Definitely do that as a starting point. I found one of my carbs was off a smaller engine with manual transmission and mines an auto.

Mordred likes this.
  5. Chris Williams

OK, thanks all for your help.

6. Chris Williams

The numbers I have stamped on the bottom are :
    VW 445-1 / 9033
    and
    3213 (or 32-3) hard to make out, on the other carby.
    Does this help with my query at all? I have contacted 1500King in the meantime as well.
    Thanks,
    Chris

7. David H

What's that:confused:? Only trouble from F/I is if some dhead uses throttle to 'aid' start & it backfires up intake & kills the Air Flow Meter (& that idiot gets to pay me for it).
    Cheers

8. Mr Beckstar

Enjoy your continued good luck Dave. Obviously assisted by adequate preventive maintenance :)

9. David H

Not luck & lots of preventative maintenance. Literally a set & forget system:p.
    One of Grantus' mechs from Berri 2017 went "good if it works & unfixable if it doesn't" as did my previous mech understand. Got a good one & laughing:D. Like all bits for "Old Boy" there is a spare;). AFM courtesy of rstucke:cool:.
    Cheers

10. Mordred

Going from memory, 3xx is 1700 and 4xx is a 1800, and 5xxx is a 2l. Bottom line is you haven't a matched set. At best they may have changed the jets to be the same but the air corrector bleeds most likely will be different, and fitted to a 2 litre will be running lean. 1500king will be able to give you exactly what each is off originally.

cheers

Adrian

11. Chris Williams

What do you think my best course of action should be? Should I just buy a brand new set? If so, should I just get something like a Webber pair etc. or just buy a replacement SOLEX unit. Would appreciate the advice. Thanks.

12. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

What do you want from your kombi?
    What are you like mechanically?
    Do you know how to tune and "jet" a carburettor?

If you want originality then you need to get a matching set.

Personally I would stay away from the repro's and get some original german ones rebuilt.
    Might take a while or cost a bit

Otherwise I would go the Dellorto DRLA / Weber IDF road.

There is a set of Rod Penrose ones for sale here but i believe they will need a vent change
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/rpr-40mm-idf-carburettors.57307/#post-636090

Bang for buck they could be worth a shot

Otherwise I would recommend this guy
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/ALFA1750S-CARBURETORS-PARTS-STORE

13. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Best outcome, if I was in your shoes, would be to send your carbs. to Andrew -1500king here .
    Andrew will spec. your carbs to factory settings.
    It’s very important to remember that an air cooled engine will only run as it was intended, when the carbs., dizzy and engine components are (factory) matched.
    Lots of buses out there that have been Frankenstein - ed together from donor buses.
    They will never run as they should.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mr Beckstar and Barry like this.
  14. Mr Beckstar

I got a service exchange set from Volksdoktor (1500king) and Harry is running like a treat now.

True story: Sharyn was driving with me yesterday and we stopped at the lights. Sharyn suddenly looked at me and said “what’s wrong...did Harry stall” and I said “nothings wrong, he’s still running, he’s just so smooth now he’s running better than a bought one” :cool:

oldman and cbus like this.
  15. Chris Williams

I am good mechanically, however don't yet know how to "jet" a carburettor.
    I am not fussed either way regarding originality, just want something reliable.
    I bought the Kombi for about $900 on eBay, and have found various parts from various different models all through it (i.e. Frankenstein-ed)!
    I don't understand what "vent-change" would mean and what specs this would require etc.?

16. Mr Beckstar

This is so true. Read and understand!

I fixed up my engine so it was stock with no vac leaks. Luckily it still had stock dizzy. Did valve clearances, set dwell and did timing. Bolted on a set of 1500kings carbs and all I had to do was make sure the linkage actuated both carbs at the same time then adjust idle speed. Result: No flat spots, torquey, smooth, nice plug colour after driving to Stanthorpe and back and idles/drives the same whether hot or cold!

Mordred and oldman like this.
  17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Plenty of info out there now
    http://www.aircooled.net/vw-technical-articles/

just makes it hard if its a daily drive
    Need to able to walk away and come back when your head is clear

18. Mordred

As said before, with deference to everyone else, at least have a talk with 1500king - Andrew.
    He may be able to use your old ones to build a complete set or have enough parts to do the same. He does a lot of rebuilding and often attends swap meets etc so you just don’t know what he might be able to do for you.

If you want ease of ownership, standard is the way to go IMHO.

An email or a phone call to Volksdoktor has got to be worth a shot.

My 2 bits.

Adrian

David H likes this.