1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some help selecting my next surfboard. ;-)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 68BUS, Jul 12, 2019.

1. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Hey good people.
    A bit of a different assistance thread this time. As a lot of you are surfies from way back I thought this would be a good place to ask.

I love working with timber and making all sorts of things. And for several years I have wanted to do a surfboard making class offered by Bywater Design. Unfortunately the price has been out of my reach and I kind of figured it would be a splurge item for my 40th.
    But I am still grinning, they opened a new workshop space and had an open day. During the day they offered 1 spot to their surfboard making course as a prize.
    The question for the competition was - What is your favorite surf spot?
    For me, the empty beach at Mallacoota and surfing with Milly and Prone sprang to mind immediately.
    So I answered - Anywhere quite with some mates.
    And I was very very happy to find out that I will be part of their course in late September! :)

They make some beautiful boards or varying shape and length, all named after famous Australian Swimmers.

But now I have to choose what I am going to build. - Which is where your advice comes in.
    I am a beginner surfer. I have a 9'6" Mactavish nose rider (That I cannont nose ride :p) and an 8'6" Quad Fish.
    And at 120kg I am leaning towards a big 10' log.
    So I have three to choose from, but not having ridden many boards (My two, Prones borrowed foam board, and a hire board is the grand total) I am not sure which way to go.

The description of the boards are as follows;

The Rose is a 1950’s Pig shape

Great down the line and step right back to get her to turn then pick the line and go up onto the nose

Very full, the most buoyant of all our boards

The Dawn is a great performance board with its teardrop shape and full nose and pulled in tail

It makes turning a breeze and nose riding just a few steps away

all-round good rides

Bob

The Bob is a replica of a classic Robert August board the smooth outline is a good representation on how smooth the board is to ride, a great board to cruse up and down the wave with cutbacks and heavy bottom turns not a problem for this longboard , but this is not a nose rider unless you take the time during class to add a concave into the nose [this is not a problem to do ]

A 10’ board can easily cope with body weights of up to 120Kg depending on your fitness

I am leaning towards the Bob shape but with the concave in the nose incase I even get to the point where I can stretch 1 toe to the front.
    I think the Rose sounds too hard for a learner, despite being buoyant due to the turning issue.
    But I don't really know and it is a pretty hard decision fro me.

What do you all think? Which would you choose?

And as some eye candy, this is what they look like.

66688038_2793570124005806_2357048601454051328_o.jpg 14370175_1429941767035322_3478428926263185626_n.jpg 14681779_1450170155012483_9114371100917896143_n.jpg 32767068_2138504369512388_1973754093482541056_n.jpg

Aspudis, David H, TeeBee and 2 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I am no help - but congratulations mate!

Well done

68BUS likes this.
  3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Great score Brad !
    Perfect answer too.......:cool:
    The sessions I had with Scott at Tip Beach that year are locked away in my memory banks ....
    Go the Bob......and forget about the concave in the nose....urban myth that you need concave up front on a nose rider..
    What makes a nose rider is the rail length and profile at the tail.....that’s what locks in and creates a stable platform to walk.....plenty of evidence supporting this.
    So cool that you get to handcraft your next sled in timber.
    Cheers,
    Mark

68BUS likes this.
  4. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Saw a show on Foxtel the other week called Men of Wood and Foam tells the story of the pioneers of the Australian surfboard industry. It uncovers a golden decade in surfing, starting in 1956, when surfing was transformed into a sport and culture with its very own music, movies, fashion and heroes

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Aspudis and 68BUS like this.
  5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations Brad ;)
    My 1st thought was one that floats :D ..... been 4+ decades since I rode a board so technology and names have changed :eek: ..... no difference either with water skis or snow skis as 3+ decades for them o_O

68BUS likes this.
  6. micklyan

micklyan Member

Lucky man would love to do this. Go the Rose. Reason being that you are going to be so stoked with your new board that you’re always in the water. This shape will last you as you improve. Enjoy

68BUS likes this.
  7. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Go the Bob mate, will do all you need it too.

68BUS likes this.
  8. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Nice score Brad, always wanted to do this as well, they had a farther son class at Hillbrook but I couldn’t talk my son into doing it, ended up buying an old 40’s 50’s hollow hulled board and doing it up, anyway have fun you lucky bugger ;) 8C0F23F4-3841-4334-80DC-41238C57DDED.jpeg

68BUS likes this.
  9. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations on winning Brad! Scott just ordered another custom Byrning Spear this week, but it's built for speed, not comfort and style like those beautiful pieces you are looking at.

oldman likes this.
  10. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replys everyone.
    Yep I cannot wait. Still grinning ear to ear a week after finding out. :D
    Bob sounds like the logical choice for me.
    But a very compelling argument for the Rose.
    Unfortunately I spend 90% of my spare time building my house, so surfing is only an occasional indulgence, which is why after 20 years I still have not progressed past beginner.
    After this house is finished I am taking a few years off massive projects I think.

oldman and melissa like this.
  11. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I will of course post some photos up of it. Most likely end of September.

12. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

Congratulations Brad! Super jealous. I would LOVE to do a course/workshop exactly like that one.

Also, I have ‘Men of wood and foam’ on DVD if you want to borrow it. It’s a great movie/doco. I’m happy to post it to you if you don’t mind posting it back to when you’re done? Or just bring it to either Old Bar or Bus Stop Dubbo if you’re going.

Ps. I’d definitely go the Rose if it were me!

David H likes this.
  13. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

As the owner of a 10 foot 3 1/4 inch and 9’2 performance mal and too
    similar on the KGs I think you go the easiest one to get up on and ride - Rose.

If you get better you’ve, got the 9'6" Mactavish nose rider .

The best part of this post is given you drive a Split maybe I will fit after All!

Grantus and 68BUS like this.