1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions about my new Kombi!!

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Lelta, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Lelta

Lelta Member

Hi Guys!

Julia arrived in Sydney on Saturday and I'm pretty happy with her condition. (A bit more rust than I thought, but nothing to have a heart attack over)
    She's a '75 Camper - not a 76 as advertised, dad realised when the seller said that she had her original 1800 motor in her. (but apparently 76 models didn't come with 1800's)

Just some questions about her features.

Are these original Kombi seats??
    [​IMG]

Are these the original poptop clasps?? (I think they're pretty cool)
    [​IMG]

What is the black hatch for?? Why are there two hatches in the poptop??
    [​IMG]

She's a good base for a resto - the first job is to cut the rust ... (am going to appeal to my friends and family to contribute to the kombi resto fund for my 21st - rather than traditional gifts. Julia will be enough of a 21st present for me!!!

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me to KC - I've decided that Kombi owners are the nicest people around.

Leah :)

2. Lelta

Lelta Member

Some more outside pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit of rust in the tailgate door thing ... maybe needs replacing
    [​IMG]

The handyman's job of fixing the sunvisor catch!!
    [​IMG]

3. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

The seats look original; I think the clasps may be (similar design, but mine are more of a tan colour); and no idea on the second hatch, but it looks like it was added later. You can get the visor clips from the Bus Stop, they're quite cheap and simple to install. Oh and your father is right, 76 was the only year of 2 litre fuel injection.

It looks like a good kombi, I hope you have fun with your 21st! (and those kombi gifts) :)

4. Hubert

Hubert Member

The clasps often depend on what company did the camper conversion.

Yours look different than mine.;)

& thats not to much rust

I hope you enjoy your Kombi as much as I enjoy mine:D

5. MISS VDUB

MISS VDUB New Member

Nice work, make a great project.

Give George at Classic Vee Dub Supplies in Rydalmere a call or email, great range, great prices and a bit closer to you for parts.

6. natishavingfun

natishavingfun New Member

Hello

Hia Leah,
    My straps are the same but the different dark beige colour, carmen is a `76.
    Good luck with your resto. Nice looking bus.
    Nat

7. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the seat could be aftermarket but the headrests look original?????????
    The clasps are the same as mine, thinking it must have been a Sopru camper conversion as the poptop canvas is tyhe same as mine, is there just two windows one on each side towards the front?

Hope all you friends dig deep for your 21st, what a great idea instead of pressies:D

Enjoy

8. Lelta

Lelta Member

Yes Lorraine, the poptop does only have 2 windows close to the front. Its in need of a serious clean up!! Its nice to learn a bit more about her history!!
    I am really happy with her - apart from a bit of rust, she is basically dent free - I haven't had a good look at her, but as far as I can see, not even the odd stone dent!!

Thanks for the parts tip. My sister's Kombi has been over to VDub King - Dr Moshe. He is very good too, and quite resonably priced. He assured us that if anything was not 100% with his repairs, that we could take it right back to him, and he will fix it up for free no questions asked.

I'll keep you posted with her development, and no doubt will be on here asking for advice!!

9. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Look at the compliance plate behind the drivers seat. If it is after aug 75 then she is a 76. August is the start of the model year so that a car made between aug 75 and end of jul 76 is a 76 model. Like wise if after aug 74 but before or in jul 75 she is a 75. Makes it a lot easier when sourcing parts as there are differences between model years.

Adrian

10. Van Housing

The compliance date can sometimes be contradictory (as it is not the manufacture date) - to be certain of your model year, check the 10-digit VIN, which should be in the engine bay (or on your rego papers) ... if the third digit is a "5", it is a '75 model and if the third digit is a "6" then it is a '76 model.

11. Lelta

Lelta Member

ahah - so if the third digit is actually a "4" then does it mean its a '74 model?? That means Kevin and Julia are actually twins!!!

12. Van Housing

Congratulations! Your kombi is 35 years old. :)

(nb: the model year for Australian-assembled models ie up to 76 is apparently at the end of the year not August as it is overseas - it seems they did the model switchover and consequent factory retooling during the summer break. August is correct though for imported models and from 77 onwards.)

13. notch65s

notch65s New Member

looks like a great bus, i hope its on the road soon :)

14. Mordred

Not meaning to disagree Woz, but The Specification Guide says the 3rd number is the right hand drive config with sliding door left. This apparently has nothing to do with the year in the number sequence at all.

Also my 11/74 bus Olive(compliance plate) has 224 on the welded on plate in the engine bay and 224 stamped in to the chassis underneath, but Milly is something 4/75 and has 224 on the welded in plate and 225 stamped on the chassis. ( BTW Olive has the later ignition plastic shroud and column but the earlier seat with round adjuster on the front and the earlier track.)

I wonder if the chassis stamped number is the one we should be looking at as that would hold up the theory of 74 being 224 and 75 being 225. I haven't got a later bus to look at to check my theory but someone out there might. (also both of my buses are Microbus Deluxes from the factory)

Adrian

15. Van Housing

That's the model code, which is the first three digits of the 7-digit serial number - eg the serial number on my camper (like most) starts with "234" meaning a right-hand-drive, left-hand-slider "kombi" .... my 10-digit VIN, on the other hand, starts with "232" indicating a 72.

16. Mordred

OK then. To clarify, the welded on plate is not the one you reference as the VIN. ( ie 224031 0744 which is also 10 digits with a space after the first 6) The one stamped into the chassis below it is 2242181199 and this is 10 digits and confirms a 74. (then there is the mix and match of 74 and 75 model year fitout)

Problem is on the later bus and we have welded plate 224031 0262 (with the spaces as above) and the stamped one is 2252065914 which indicates a 75 which by fit out and compliance plate she is. I suppose the welded plate could refer to the model designation as per my previous post which works as the model code for Microbus is 224.

Bloody confusing 30 odd years down the track. Thanks for your patience Woz.

Adrian

17. Van Housing

Yes, the VIN is the stamped number, which on my kombi is 10 digits long and starts with "232" (as I have a 72). The welded plate (serial number) has only 7 digits (but it may be longer on later models?) and starts with "234" which is also apparently the model code, a RHD "kombi"...

So it matches yours - your welded plate says you have a model code 224 RHD LH-slider microbus, and your VIN says it is a 75 .... All good. :)

18. Zombi

Zombi Active Member

Glad thats sorted :lol: :lol:
    Now that you know what you have you can enjoy it even more!
    All the best with your new found joy, well it'll mostly be joy anyway :eek: