1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soon to be owner of 72 Low Light

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Paul S Atkins, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Paul S Atkins

Paul S Atkins Member

Hi Everyone,

I am super excited. I owned at 78 T2 in the UK and it was actually my first car. Sadly I ended up an Uni and had to sell her, so fast forward 25 years and I have just bought a 72 Low light from a random person in Melbourne.

I am a bit of a gambler and I saw the Kombi on Carsales at a good price, so I contact the guy and made an offer without seeing it. I know she isn't road worthy, I know she has rust spots (and a couple of bit rusted away) and I know the interior probably smells like a wet dog, so what could I lose at that price???? The guy selling it said he could take payment by PayPal, so I stuck it on Amex credit card and got velocity points for it too! :)

The Kombi arrives from Melbourne on Thursday by CEVA Car Carrying and it is a complete mystery what is going to arrive. All I know is that from my $2 scan on the internet it isn't stolen, it isn't a write off and it was last registered in NSW and somehow ended up unregistered in Melbourne. My wife thinks I am crazy (The old beg for forgiveness and not approval method) and I have now just spent $800 at Super Cheap Auto buying things to start doing her up.

Mr Random man in Melbourne was great to deal with and even delivered the Kombi on the back of his trailer to the CEVA depot in Melbourne. He has restored my trust in random people!

Roll on Thursday to see what wreck/delight I have just purchased and start building a dream!

omelette81, 68BUS, David H and 5 others like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Paul! :)

I hope there’s not too many unpleasant surprises when it rolls off the truck, but you seem prepared for most things.

Enjoy the ride....... ;)

TeeBee likes this.
  3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome Paul to the KC, Risky move:eek:,but I've done it my self as well :oops:,72 also. Hope it is better then what you are expecting so you can enjoy it wherever it takes you

TeeBee likes this.
  4. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Welcome, Paul! Now that I've become part of the kombi world, I find my trust in 'random' people being restored quite a lot lately. :) Would love to see some photos of the new purchase!

Wayne murray likes this.
  5. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

I echo the DC Presidents wise words and I too have purchased sight unseen! Welcome to the 72 Club !

6. Paul S Atkins

Paul S Atkins Member

Thanks everyone. I will post some photos when she arrives. "Apparently", it is drivable and they have driven it off of the trailer and onto the transport truck.

My first job will be to sit in it, with a cold beer and decide a name for her.
    After that's the frustrations can start! :)

From the photos I have seen it looks like it has been pained with a paint roller. I hope they didn't use emulsion paint and it gets wet on the truck and drips paint over a new Tesla on the same truck. :-|

David H, Poptop and TeeBee like this.
  7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Paul - I love your attitude!! - eyes wide open with fingers and toes crossed :D

8. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Good luck!

P.S. 72's rule!

kombiing and Wayne murray like this.
  9. omelette81

omelette81 Member

72 is the year to be, Good Luck with what turns up. Mine came from the Goldie and the guy delivered it himself before payment was even exchanged. Plenty of chat over the phone and guy knew a lot about Kombi’s. Another thumps up for the “Randoms”

10. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Paul,
    Welcome to the Kombi Club. Get in, sit down, shut up & hang on!!! Love your work:D:D. I've my fingers crossed for you;) & I'm sure it'll be sweet with your wife eventually:p! I look forward to the pictures:).
    Reckon I've met some wonderful 'Randoms' thru the KC:cool: & kombi part sellers on Gumtree!
    Bonus territory straight up! One less thing to do.
    Cheers

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    TeeBee and Wayne murray like this.
  11. Grantus

Surely dragging it off the truck, and pushing it up the driveway, would give you that well earned thirst, to enjoy that cold beer, to contemplate the next move? :rolleyes: :p

12. David H

Said relaxed Bintang;). You gunna help with the push Grantus:rolleyes:?
    Cheers

13. Grantus

I would, but sadly the location appears to be out of my jurisdiction..... :(

14. David H

He said sadly whilst on holiday in Bali:rolleyes:.
    Sorry Paul... we occasionally 'randomly hijack members threads:mad:'!
    Cheers

15. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

flight might be diverted :rolleyes::p

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  16. Paul S Atkins

Paul S Atkins Member

Thank you everyone. I live on quite a steep hills, so a note to my self is to test the breaks before I test the gearbox!

She is on the truck somewhere between Melbourne and Brisbane now. 2 more sleeps to go!

Mr Beckstar, TeeBee and David H like this.
  17. Grantus

I would seriously be tying this unknown bus onto a vehicle with brakes that work, just incase, if you intend rolling it down a hill into a parking position......:rolleyes:

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  18. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Welcome Paul. yeah, bonus. I've bought a few off ebay sight unseen that weren't driveable. Luckily the fella from All States Towing is about 3 times my size so he pushes them up the driveway and I put a brick in front of the wheels. Patrick

Mr Beckstar, Grantus and David H like this.
  19. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  20. Paul S Atkins

Paul S Atkins Member

Today was the day and I had the day off of work and was skipping around this morning. The Kombi was going to arrive between 11am and 2pm.
    I heard the truck come down the hill and came around the corner and the first thing I noticed was that there was a key piece missing from the Kombi.
    The Kombi had made it from Melbourne to Brisbane perfectly, however from Brisbane to my place in Ocean View, the pop-top roof has been totally ripped off, according to the truck driver, on the Gateway motorway. I have the shredded canvas though and a great big hole in the roof. I can only hope that it hasn't killed someone!

What left Melbourne (And Brisbane)
    [​IMG]

What arrived at my house
    [​IMG]

So needless to say, this evening I am very disappointed. I have phoned up the transport company to lodge an insurance claim and sent them pictures, so I guess I just wait now.

On a good note...

• Not too much rust, apart from the wheel arches
    • Engine works
    • Gearbox works
    • Breaks work
    • Speedo - not work
    • fuel gauge - not work
    • Headlights - work
    • Indicators - work (sort of)
    • Paint work - shocking, but that is half of the fun of it
    • Tyres - Possibly come off of a F1 car after a race (Bit bald!)
    • Interior - Pretty good

So this evening I did manage a beer inside, but I didn't expect to look at the clouds. I scratched a bit of the dodgy pain and saw yellow and white underneath, so I have called her Daisy. Unfortunately Daisy's start of her new life isn't what I had expected, so..... sorry Daisy. :-(