1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound systems......what have you done ?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by oldman, Jun 27, 2020.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a nice collection of tunes on my iPod but my kombi has its original stereo unit.....
    I’m keen on upgrading to something with good, rich bass and top end......I have a lot of acoustic in my playlists....
    I understand that sound comes from good quality speakers but I am also after better volume.....
    I’ve tried plugin adapters to connect the iPod but they just don’t cut it.....
    The existing system is a very basic am/fm stereo cassette.....fine for listening to the radio but when I’m on a trip , I like good, loud driving music......;)
    I don’t really want to spend thousands but realise that a good system won’t be cheap either..
    So, what have you installed that maintains the look of a stock system but has window rattling punch and quality sound ?
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Surfing72 likes this.
  2. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Hey Mark,

I’m thinking about doing the same thing with my DOKA. When I purchased it there was an old aftermarket head unit and speakers in the front and rear doors but nothing worked. The head unit had a blown fuse and once the fuse was replaced the front speakers worked but they give a pretty average sound. I pulled the rear door cards off and realised that the speakers hadn’t been wired up.

I’ve put an alpine single din head unit in my Caravelle with good quality Focal speakers in the front door cards and the cargo area running through an amplifier which give a really good clear sound however there’s not much bass. I did have a 12” subwoofer in the back too which was to much for me (and the kids) so I took it out. I think that I’ll go down a similar path with the DOKA but finding a place to mount the rear speakers where they can be wired up is going to be a little tricky.

Probably the main thing that I have realised with aftermarket car stereos is that you need to get good quality products which have a good reputation as most of the cheaper unknown options/brands don’t give good sound quality which is like most things I suppose.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    oldman and MAP77 like this.
  3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Have you considered Retro sound. Got one in my microbus. I've got the base model,which gives you the period look and plays the radio.You can get upgrade models which can play all your fancy devices. Can't tell you how acoustic sounds are as I'm tone deaf to music,not my field of expertise.It sounds good to me but as stated above I'm not the best to really say either.:confused: It would be best to contact them and discus it with them to see what they may recommend
    https://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=page_view&p=contact_us .

oldman and prone like this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hope this helps.
    Got one of these that replaced the old pioneer stereo with 40 watt amp under passenger seat with 2 front speakers in door cards @ 2 rears in the panel under R & R bed. Was the bees knees in the 80's:(
    Wish I could tell you which one! Like this. Knob on LHS.

Actual photos
    P1110725.JPG P1110724.JPG Rattles windows;)

Fitted new front speakers (water had not been their friend over the years!), kept rear speakers. It truly rocks at a volume that is amazing:D. Cost all of $179. You may recall when I was fitting it I was asking about circuits re key etc. Thus I put it on a separate circuit switchable as they draw power always. Not a problem in a daily driver tho'.
    Bonus is display is any colour & it takes input for sound from most sources;). I'm not a music O phile but have always loved rocking down the road in a kombi with the stereo blasting:). Still do. This head unit takes CD/usb/bluetooth etc & sounds like your lounge room stereo if you've got 4 speakers & balance them for your ear!!!!
    Sad part is you will need to open the dash aperture more to fit it as you will with all new units as they fit to a DIN standard. 5mm needed in the tall stakes, width okay:(;).
    Can't help but say "a cassette" What is that:p? Disc does 8 hrs of rocking kombi music:D:D.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    oldman and prone like this.
  5. prone

prone Well-Known Member

Ive also had that Pioneer head unit @David H in a previous T2 and it was a great unit for the price.

You are right though. The hole in the dash will need to be made bigger to fit the unit. I think that the Retro Sound system that Wayne mentioned above actually fits straight ito the existing/original space? Which may be more what Mark is after if he doesn’t want to cut his dash and is trying to keep it as original as possible?

Cheers

David H and Wayne murray like this.
  6. oldman

Thanks for the input fellas !
    Yes, I like the idea of not having to cut the dash......gives me the heebie geebies just thinking about it :eek:
    The Retrosound units look good but not cheap and it looks like I’ll have to integrate an amp for the volume I’m after.
    All food for thought, thanks.
    Just watched that YouTube clip....ha ha ha haaa....7 minutes of how to colour coordinate the headset but nothing on the sound itself !
    Cheers,
    Mark

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    prone likes this.
  7. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

.Went to change the head unit in the T3 SC and got a unit I thought would do the trick ..... issue #1 the unit was deeper than the after market one I was replacing but managed to get it to fit in ..... issue #2 the wires attached to the new unit were so fine I could not get them to crimp securely (the lateral pull test) and after using all the connectors/terminals of the size required in the kit I bought from SCA I returned it and was provided a full refund and apology from SCA and refund from JB Hi-Fi for the head unit. Possibly may have been able to install it if I had a soldering iron but as I didn't it wasn't an option.

So if you're going to do the install yourself I'd first check the wires on the head unit to get an idea of you're wiring install plan of attack :rolleyes:

Left the one that was in it ..... in it ;)

oldman likes this.
  8. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

Similar to the equaliser post, had no trouble with the Retrosound head unit only.
    Maybe my expectations are lower.
    I mainly use an Ipod Classic (No, I only use an Ipod Classic) plugged in to the aux input from the headphone output.
    The volume is not window rattling, but can cope with freeway speed wind noise from the pop top and still sound crisp and clear.
    Louise who is 35 years younger than me uses bluetooth from her phone thingy to the Retrosound unit for the same result, and has no complaints about the volume.
    I don't think you would need an extra amp with the Retrosound unit unless you hate the people in cars around you.

Maxa1967, oldman and David H like this.
  9. oldman

Thanks Nozza....that helps to know that the stock power is sufficient.
    Cheers,
    Mark

10. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Fitted this behind the seats in the Hijet on Saturday. Connected to my Bluetooth head unit. Resized_20200621_171646.jpeg

Cranked up some Jebediah for Bec on the way to Port Pirie Sunday. Worked fairly well! :rolleyes:
    Even with all 3 cylinders bouncing at 6000rpm!:eek:;)

Jethro, David H, oldman and 1 other person like this.
  11. oldman

Love it !
    Just don’t get the spare fuel can mixed up with the Sub, in the dark !!
    Cheers,
    Mark

Jethro likes this.
  12. wombatventures

:eek::D
    Electricity and fuel... what could possibly go wrong?!
    Especially once the in tray jerry can and toolbox mount is fitted!

Jethro and David H like this.
  13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Get more BOOM! for your bucks.:eek::rolleyes:

Jethro and wombatventures like this.
  14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

15. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Mark, ever thought of running your ipod directly to a 4 channel amplifier using a 3.5mm to rca cable as the input? Output to 4 decent quality speakers?

melissa, oldman and prone like this.
  16. oldman

No, but I like the idea.....it would allow me to keep the radio intact too :cool:
    Will look into this as an option, thanks.....might need to chew your ear at some stage.
    Cheers,
    Mark

melissa likes this.
  17. wombatventures

oldman likes this.