1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split Identification

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by Split 1, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Flatfour

Flatfour New Member

Hi Dave,
    Rescued this ol' girl from a farm in central Vic where it had sat on its haunches since the early sixties (according to my friends wife who used it a cubby house back then)..

2. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

174596 is very late April 1956, very nice indeed.

Ian

3. Jordy

Jordy New Member

Does anyone know if there was any crossover of Aussie splits with bullet-indicators AND large tailgate windows? If so I'm thinking it'd be late-63 or early-64
    Thanks,
    Jordan

4. Gazd

Gazd New Member

Hi Dave
    Im a new member and have just bought a split panel van ! I've no idea what year it is or anything about it , if you could help that would be great , the only numbers i can find are VWDV4259 on the left and 434397 on the right Thanks Gary .

5. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Delivery van January 1959

6. splitbus

If there was, late 63 would be right, or a samba has big back window pre 64

7. lfallgti

lfallgti New Member

Hi
    Another newbie here, just picked up a panel van VWDV4678.

Suspected 58, but reading above may be 59??

Thanks
    Lee

8. Roo

Roo Active Member

Need more numbers Lee. These numbers tell us it's a Delivery Van and it's build number. The chassis number is a six digit number on the right hand side of the engine bay, above the starter motor as you look in through the back.

9. lfallgti

lfallgti New Member

Going only by a sketchy photo of the "made in west Germany" plate, I can see 4751??.

The last two numbers are slightly obscured. Guess I'll check when the van is in front of me.

10. lfallgti

lfallgti New Member

Going only by a sketchy photo of the "made in west Germany" plate, I can see 4751??.

The last two numbers are slightly obscured. Guess I'll check when the van is in front of me.

11. splitbus

May 1959.....

12. Roo

Roo Active Member

4751??. Wouldn't it be early June 59, Mike? Better get some pics for all of us to see, Lee....

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  13. lfallgti

lfallgti New Member

Thanks guys

Sure I'll get some pics up when she's tucked up in the garage.

14. Need help finding the chassis number on my ute, the rego papers show 74041

Hi, hoping you can help me locate my chassis number on my 1960 split window ute. I have the rego papers stating it is 74041 but to get it passed for a blue slip (rego) it needs to be sighted on the car. The mechanic said if I can not find it he would pass it if I stamped it myself as it is already on the rego papers. Just not sure if there are any other numbers that go with it. Any help would be muchly appreciated.
    Craig

15. splitbus

Drivers side in engine bay, near where the cable from the battery goes through the fire wall to the starter

16. IN2VWS

IN2VWS Member

My 1956 SC, has the numbers stamped on the arch that holds the rubber, that goes over the bell housing of the gearbox. Most later splits have the numbers stamped on the left side of the engine bay.
    I have also seen the numbers stamped underneath the ID tag on the right side of the engine bay. And I mean underneath not below, you have to remove the ID tag to see it.

Hope that helps.

17. MAV

MAV New Member

Gday Guys.i too am trying to find info and if I have the right location for numbers on my Panel....
    on the left hand side looking into the engine bay,on the vertical it has 1314974 then below that is has DV3125...any ideas???I cant find any more numbers on the right hand side near the rear valance...
    cheers...

18. IN2VWS

IN2VWS Member

Panel van, rolled of the production line in Clayton approx. December 1964.

19. SteveLownds

SteveLownds Member

Looking for year verification chassis number HH 704609, not sure about the HH, I believe it is late 1960
    Is there any way you can have this verified by a letter from vw?
    I have paper work with this number but cannot find on the vehicle

20. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

No idea about the HH letters but your numbers date the bus to dec 1960 so you are correct there.

As for finding the numbers, look inside the engine bay and at the back on the right hand side the numbers should be stamped above or to the right of the tinware that goes over your gearbox.

You should have a metal ID tag as well I believe but you should also have the chassis number stamped into the body in the same area, it may even be that the number is stamped and then covered by the ID tag...

You are also able to get a cert from VW as well for your bus to confirm it's build date and all the M codes which will tell you what colours / trim and any other options it may have had when it left the factory.

I'm not sure how you go about getting the cert, I think it's about $60 odd, I'm sure John, Mike or someone will be able to help with a link or give more details on the process.

Does your bus have twin tail lights IE indicators and stop / tail lights or single tail lights and semaphores ? I'm not 100% on the date of crossover between semaphore and tail light ( Amber ) indicators..I know it's around that time, I had a 60 which was a semaphore bus..

Hope that info helps.
    Ian