1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split Identification

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by Split 1, Sep 22, 2005.

1. SteveLownds

SteveLownds Member

Ian thanks for that info
    In relation to lights the rear is a single circle that is both blinkers
    And brakes the front is bullet type blinkers. The rear have obviously been
    Changed to some after market style, not a very obvious blink, I was thinking of
    Changing to oval ones from a 67

2. IN2VWS

IN2VWS Member

3. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

4. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

Hi Steve,

I'd be more inclined to replace with OG looking lights if at all possible but thats just me.

OG rear lights are not easy to find and are not a cheap item thats for sure, especially your amber indicators if you decide to go that way. Good quality repro is available or John ( IN2VWS ) had some info on LED options I think...

John, can you provide a link or info here please ??

Mike, isn't that link a rear end from a 55 - 58 ?? Ribbed rear bumper and engine lid brake light...nice shot though ! ( Good old English number plate as well ha ha )

5. splitbus

What is that, is that brail :)

6. Wondermutt

Wondermutt Member

New member here....so here is my request, can someone please decode chassis number 1025150. I believe it has been read from the attached plate by someone and emailed to me. Hope it is correct and nothing lost in translation.

7. splitbus

Oct Nov 1962

8. Wondermutt

Wondermutt Member

Thanks Mike, appreciate the quick lookup.

Cheers
    Steve

9. VRSenator065

VRSenator065 New Member

Hello all, could one of you gurus please any shed light on the year, origin etc of new family member. She is a little bit worse for wear and tear but nothing a few years of love and attention (hopefully) cant fix!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Roo

Roo Active Member

To me it looks like an early June '60 Kombi with the Aussie only twin rear lights!!

11. VRSenator065

VRSenator065 New Member

Thanks mate, really appreciate that, so as a kombi newbie, is that good, bad or indifferent? I don't know the history of Aussie vs imported kombi's?

12. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

Yep,

Roo is spot on, early june 1960. This was just after they changed from semaphores to indicators so its a cross over model which is nice.
    It has the small rear window as well which is a nice and it's also a feature of the early buses.

You have a lot of work ahead but it looks like its very much worth saving, Good repro panels are available and you have a choice of suppliers and brands, something that only a few years ago wasn't possible.

Have a good look around the area where the bus was sitting and look for any missing parts, bumpers, engine valance and especially seats !

Keep everything you remove, bag it, label it and take lots and lots of pictures.

Nice find.

Ian

13. VRSenator065

VRSenator065 New Member

Thank you very much for the info gentlemen, its really appreciated. I think thats kinda cool! My family has always been into restoring cars so I am reasonably familiar with the process. I have just finished a two year build of a very different kind of car (more modern muscle car) so its going to be a really nice change to do something a little older with some character. My intention is not to do a concours restoration, but rest assured it will be a sympathetic one. Externally and internally very original but with uprated mechanicals to improve the drivability. Everything will be bolt on though so any person later down the track could always return it to original if they wanted. Looks like I better start a dedicated build thread :) Once again thanks a lot.

14. Frank75

Frank75 New Member

Hi guys, just bought a Boronia Brown '57 11 window. The VIN is MKAK469933775. Any info would be great. Cheers.

15. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Hi Dave. I am new to the forum so apologies for any mistakes. I am hoping to identify year dates on 3 splitty"s for a friend of mine. The first is a windowless van PV1570 with chassis no. 977136. The second is a single cab ute PU2542 with chassis no. 265041297. The third is another ute and all I have is chassis no.373605. Is this enough info? I hope you can help and thank you in advance. Jeff.

16. splitbus

First is July 62

Second I don't know

Third is July 58

17. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Thanks Dave for the info on identifying the splittie's. Its very much appreciated.

Cheers, Jeff.

18. rusty bus

rusty bus New Member

Hi, if possible can i please get a month and year on my bus, 11 window. Chassis no. Is 330832. Also can you advise what engine lid i require. Cheers- matt

19. splitbus

February 1958, your engine lid should be the one with a centre brake light in it

20. splitbus