1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split Identification

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by Split 1, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G’day Andy.

plenty of people and action here.
    You might be best off starting a Members Ride thread and see what you get.

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Didn't know that split screen kombis that were made in Australia had a second number like the bay window kombis did. As the beetles of the same period in the sixties didn't have second number, not that I'm aware. Beetle documentation is far more known then that of the kombis.
    Especially in Australia, trying to find information on Australian built kombis on what colours the interior parts ,seat etc is hard or doesn't exist.
    1500 king a KC member on here, might know more information, haven't seen him on here for a while. Not many people would know.
    My thought on K6735 is as you mentioned K =kombi 67 = year 35= how many 67 23 model kombis made at that time. Other then that can't really help you sorry
    Where is this number located?
    Do you know what month it was made?

3. Andy Bakewell

Andy Bakewell Member

IMG_20210106_113034web.jpg The Chassis number is left of the motor.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  4. Andy Bakewell

Andy Bakewell Member

I have a couple of books but the entries on Aussie Type 2s are limited. I have a copy of Schiffer Automotive Series; VW Transporter/Bus 1949-67 and VW Transporter and Microbus Specification Guide 1950-67 by David Eccles.

5. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

6. Andy Bakewell

Andy Bakewell Member

?? I already know it's a 67. What are you saying??

7. splitbus

Identifying a Splitscreen, as that’s what this thread is about, you posted a photo of a chassis number, thought you needed it’s year, fm

8. Andy Bakewell

Andy Bakewell Member

Splitbus, thanks. Sorry wasn't intending on sounding rude. It's just I can't find any information on the Aussie component of the Chassis number. The STD VW chassis number provides a range of information including year model the sequential build number but the VW Australia number put in at Clayton factory on Aussie builds is a mystery. I've hunted some literature but haven't seen the Australian books on the subject as they are as rare as the buses. If someone has a copy or knows of the Australia build history they may be able to explain the reason for the number. I found the letter was a model identifier, PV, MB, K, DC etc but no-one has any definite idea about the number besides guesses.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  9. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Sorry Andy - I didn't post.

10. Andy Bakewell

Andy Bakewell Member

Ok, sorry again, it was splitbus, I saw the pic of the red bus.

melissa likes this.
  11. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I’ve never heard of an Australian assembled split, not that that really means anything ! :rolleyes:
    I thought only the later bays were assembled here as CKD kits....
    Not much help, I know.
    Cheers,
    Mark

12. Andy Bakewell

Andy Bakewell Member

They were pressed and built here, 62-67. Previous to that they were also CKD as shipping panels was cheaper than full vehicles on a low cost vehicle. David Eccles is my reference there.

13. Andy Bakewell

Andy Bakewell Member

This page describes some aspects of VW Australia Buses IMG_2021 Eccles Clayton.jpg

14. Andy Bakewell

Andy Bakewell Member

David Eccles is British so although he included the Australian built Transporters in his publication, " VW Transporter and Microbus Specification Guide 1950- 1967" he didn't have a huge amount of detail. I'm hoping some Australian books do but they're no longer in print and are hard to find. There must be a significant amount of Aussie built Splitty owners out there. I'm hoping to link in to that brain trust

15. splitbus

No problem, John is the best man to talk to about this subject (in2vws) on here, or his web site.
    https://www.thegoldenbug.com/en/vw_links/d578/in2vws

16. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

My recollection is the book "Volkswagen in Australia - The Forgotten Story" (Davies/Davies) doesn't mention the stamping of the "Australian" number. Nor does the publication "Volkswagen in Australia - The First Ten Years". I haven't seen a copy of "Knowing Australian Volkswagens" (Long/Matthews).

It is generally accepted that this "Australian" number is a sequential build number, however like you, I haven't seen any documentation to support this. A couple of the experts in this area have original factory records and documentation from the Clayton factory and may be able to assist. Hopefully there are plans in place for these records and documentation to be preserved for future VW enthusiasts.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    oldman likes this.
  17. jimbi

jimbi Member

Hi, could someone tell me the build date of my 67 bus please.
    MB6777 VIN 237147179
    Thanks in advance