1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starter Motor cost

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Tickle, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Tickle

Tickle Active Member

I believe I need a new starter motor and my mechanic has quoted $400 for a new one and $150 for a reco one. Does this sound reasonable, I had no idea it would be so much. Also, is there anything else it could be, although there is always something else. Just wishful thinking as I really don't have $400 to spare at the moment.

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Those prices are pretty fair. What sort of problems have you been having?

3. Tickle

Tickle Active Member

Hi Mel,

The kombi just takes forever to start..sounds similar to a flat battery trying to turn over, bu the battery is fine. I'll just have to save some more pennies and have it fixed..I don't like not having the van ready to go somewhere if I feel like going for a drive

4. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Its not a nice feeling is it, not knowing if when you turn the key, its not going to start. I have been through this with my split just lately. Turning the key and just hearing a click - I changed the starter motor but it turns out to be a combination of the battery not quite having enough charge and the starter. So next is a new battery and this time I am buying an Optima - that is $330. ouch

5. courty

courty New Member

Look up hot start relays on here just in case there is voltage drop across your wiring and you aren't getting the correct volts to the starter due to old wiring. I haven't fitted one myself as yet, but at a cost of about $20 to knock one up, it may be money well spent. I only say this as your starter is turning over, albeit slow like a flat battery. If you replace the starter, personally i would go with the reco one.

6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Remember the hot start relay mod only fixes a starter that wont work at all. If it engages and turns slowly it wont be a solenoid problem, which the hot start relay is the fix for by shortening the cable distance to the ignition and back to the starter, so reducing the voltage drop at the solenoid (the smaller cylinder on the side of the starter that engages the gear on the fly wheel). If it is engaging and turning the engine over but slowly, I would first check it with a bigger battery in good condition, as a lot of people buy the cheaper smaller batteries that cant deliver enough current for cranking. You could go to a battery place and show them your battery and let them look up the number to check the cranking capacity, and see if that is adequate.

Adrian

7. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Member

If you do need a new starter motor, consider a cranky kit. It converts a subaru starter to fit a kombi. Best money I have spent on my bus.
    I have a V6 Chev in my van and even with 2 good batteries the poor old kombi starter struggled to turn it over. With the Cranky Kit it starts like a modern car.

8. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Hi Virginia,
    With 40+ years of owning many VW's I fitted a heavy duty earth return battery lead directly connected onto the starter motor mounting bolt and the negative battery terminal, make sure you retain the original battery to body earth lead, make sure the connection points are clean.
    We sometimes forget just how old our beloved VW's are and despite our best efforts rust/ corrosion is often skin deep !

Geoff.