1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

steering box conversion

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Thomas, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Thomas

Thomas New Member

I have been told a conversion from an early bay steering box to a late bay one is possible. I have been offered one of each from different people, for the same price. I have to decide which one to go for.

I'm not sure how to put it all in sentence form, and structure it enough so people can understand - so i'll just list all the factors.

1. First things first, I need to make sure the conversion is possible and easy enough (no mechanics will want any part of it).
    2. I'm not sure on the safety/reliability/legality of the conversion.
    3. Both would be purchased unseen (not that I even know what to look for).
    4. Late bay steering boxes can be rebuilt, early ones cannot.

Please help me pick which would be the smarter option!

2. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I'd stick with the early. It would be nice to be able to turn it over by hand before parting with your hard earned. Feel for any play in the pitman arm or any tight spots. One more option is the rack and pinion conversion but that aint cheap. KISS i reacon.

Stevie.

3. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

Hi Thomas,
    If the early bay box is good go with that. No problems if you keep things original. No matter which box you fit, wash it out thoroughly, change any seals you can and fill the box with Never seize. It will be much easier to steer, takes up some of the slop and won't leak. it is such a great lubricant that the wear almost stops. Pro Mar grease is anther really good one for this job but it's not as easy to find.

T1 Terry

4. Thomas

Thomas New Member

I've just bought the early one.
    The guy who sold it to me gave me an "if its crap when you put it in, i'll take it back and refund your money" kinda deal as well - so i'm not as a worried anymore.

Terry, I'll definitely put what you said into action.
    They (ways to improve it before putting it in) were gonna be my next lot of questions!

Thanks guys!