1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering column coupling questions

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by Mordred, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I am fitting a new one from a quality supplier in Melbourne and have found the coupling itself is quite pliable, unlike the old one or another I have found bought from another quality supplier (the second seems to be a german made VW part). Has anyone noticed this or had problems with the coupling (apart from the obvious PIA effort of changing it in the first place)?

Adrian

2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Can’t say I noticed Adrian.....was happy just to get the mongrel job done!
    Cheers,
    Mark

3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I'm the same haven't noticed ,the last one I did was more firm not pliable as you described.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Have seen posts claiming some defective in short time frame.
    Some fit up better.
    Certainly old ones get stiff and I recon should be changed at signs of ANY fine cracking.

My punt is buying the ones with Audi circles on them in the hope that they are ok.

5. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

There has been a lot written about it on the Samba that I found after posting this and it appears there are many different versions of copies, with the softer ones failing after little use (2000km). The VW marked one I have is noticeably stiffer and the metal spacers do not fall out unlike the other one. There is also a problem mentioned that some use a mesh in the rubber that conducts electricity between the holes making the horn operate in early bay steering columns as they use the steering column and outer tube as part of the circuit for the horn. Having the main column electrically connected to the steering box via the rubber with a metal mesh in it provides a circuit without having to pass through the horn contact. The proper return from the switch is a wire down the column and connected to the bolt for the steering box, not connected at all to the column.

Adrian

omelette81 likes this.