1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stolen kombi

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by saabman, Aug 3, 2016.

1. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago a friend asked me to look at a kombi for someone he knew who was in the market for a kombi.
    No problems I had a look at the old girl and pointed out list of things that needed attention and pointed some areas that could be a problem and left it at that.

I was talking to my friend today and he filled me in on the rest of the happenings. The person bought the kombi and proceed to get it fixed up and recently it was ready for rego. Getting it registered is where the trouble has begun - it turns out the kombi was reported stolen about 6 years ago.

The current "owner" who has just spent I presume a reasonable sum buying the kombi than getting it repaired is now in a very unpleasant position.

The point of this story is if your looking at buying a kombi or any other car for that matter - do your due diligence do at get a revs check done contact the rta make sure what you are buying is ripe for the buying.

2. doom merchant

doom merchant New Member

Yep that does sound like an unpleasant position ...

3. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Something a LOT of potential buyers wouldn't consider....
    A timely warning Bernie.
    Cheers,
    Mark

4. saabman

So far it's looking a very sad end to what would have been a great experience. Hopefully something will work out to keep all the innocent parties involved happy. And the crook in the middle appropriately dealt with.

5. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

I thought in Qld you can only do a REVS check for vehicle made after 1989? Can anyone confirm that? I'm about to go buy another Kombi.

6. saabman

According to the revs site they can only check on vehicles with a 17 character VIN. Prior to 1989 Vin numbers varied between 11 and 17 characters.

I don't know off the top of my head how long the Kombi vin numbers are

Maybe you could take the vin to the RTA.

7. saabman

There is a site irego.com.au that claim they can provide details of pre 1989 cars - for a fee $9.90

8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

It is a sad situation indeed.

I can only imagine my dissappointment, if someone turned up wanting his stolen single cab back, after what I put into it. :(

So good heads up Bernie. Not all stolen vehicles sold are late model vehicles, as we assume, and do as many pre-purchase checks as possible, before parting with your money.

ruby6689 likes this.
  9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I took my current DC numbers to the police station because the RTA wouldn't check the numbers until I was going to register the vehicleo_O. The officer said he would check it for me but said others might not.
    There is also a web site PPRS that is a government site to check vehicles as well for a fee.
    I did do a revs check before I brought it but once I seen the car the chassis number area had been changed due to a accident requiring replacement .

10. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the different states do not communicate- an example of this is that I sold my deceased father in law's Magna to a bloke from QLD who needed a car to go home after coming down to attend a funeral ( apparently he stayed on for the wake and a bit more and his lift went home) I filled out the bill of sale on the RAT form and took it in,a couple of months later i received a trafffic violation which I took to the RAT who told me to contact QLD transport as the states do not work together so I did and gave a statutory declaration,then I received another violation for another offence. Bugger me they don't read any correspondence so I just ignored it but my wife sent papers and stat decs etc and eventually i think the vehicle sank in the sands of Fraser Island or somewhere innocuous.with the driver who happened to be .........., but they didn't contact me again and I didn't care.
    Moral of story "Don't trust no one -particularly Govt Departments'

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

And wouldn't it be the ideal solution, (banging on again about my personal gripe), if all of Australia, had a stolen national register, and also recognised a national roadworthy certificate, and engineering certificate supplied by a seller in the state the vehicle is currently registered in, to be valid in any other state for registration, for the new buyer. :rolleyes:

Instead of the money grabbing requests each state has with a new arrival...:mad:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    grumble likes this.
  12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

May have been an insurnace job - I'd expect if it was insured when stolen a claim would have been made and rights of ownership claim once payment made reverted to Insurance company and if so they may just be easier to deal with :rolleyes:

13. saabman

Absolutely I paid a small fortune to have a new seat fitted by an approved installer in the ACT in my T4 moved to NSW "sorry you'll have to get an engineers certificate now " :mad:

I was worried about the beetle I got for Nat as all I had was the receipt from the guy I bought it from - thankfully all, was well.

It would be all MUCH better if people just didn take things that weren't theirs :)

Syncro27 likes this.
  14. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

The way I checked my three busses was paid for an online check then took that to both QLD transport and the police station. Because I had gone to the effort of paying for a report both were more than happy to run the number through their systems too.
    Once again - Awesome service from my local police.

15. saabman

I got an update on the saga recently.

The new owner and original owner came to some arrangement and all is well.

She is a beauty to drive :)

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Nice outcome :cool:
    Thanks for update.

17. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

So I just bought another kombi off ebay, now I'm terrified thanks to this thread lol.

So just to confirm, in Queensland, how do I check a vehicle that was built before Jan 1, 1989?

18. oldman

See Brad's post #14 above......68BUS.
    Cheers,
    Mark

19. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

But how do you can an online check on an unregistered pre-1989 vehicle?

20. oldman

First time you've mentioned that it's unregistered......o_O
    Do you have any friends that wear blue uniforms,,,?
    Cheers,
    Mark