1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Strip-it-Discs" - Are they ok to use for removing paint?

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Paul S Atkins, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Paul S Atkins

Paul S Atkins Member

Hi everyone,

My "old girl" Daisy has been sitting in the shed for a few months, whilst I invested in some more powerful tools to make my life easier and I am now tackling her paintwork to get her back to bare metal. I started off sanding and then gave up with that and then tried paint stripper. That worked, however it was slow going and needed a few coats to get through nearly 50 years of paint layers. I have since found "Strip-It-Discs", or Poly-Abrasive Discs. These things on an angle grinder are amazing and get back to bare metal in no time.

Are these discs too good to be true and are they ok to use? They build up a bit of heat in a large panel, but they seem to be doing a great job.

I'm interested in others thoughts, because I don't want to damage metal underneath and it almost seems too easy using these.

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Never used them so I don't know if they are any good or not.
    If they remove paint material quickly and make you job easier,would be good as long as they aren't removing metal material.
    You've already mentioned it,if they are producing to much heat isn't good for larger panel and work method to avoid excessive heat is a must.
    As the saying go's if they are to good to be true they usually are.;)

3. Paul S Atkins

Paul S Atkins Member

Yep.. The old saying is what worries me. I will keep using them and see how I go.

4. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Excellent for getting into awkward spots like rain gutters and door jams. Pretty good on most areas. Gentle pressure and keep moving to prevent heat build up.

David H and Grantus like this.
  5. Paul S Atkins

Paul S Atkins Member

I will keep using them then. Thanks for your replies.
    On large panels it is a bit like a power-tool version of colouring in. Draw a few shapes and then colour it in and before you know it, the panel is bare and minimal swirl marks too.

David H likes this.
  6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Just don’t lean on em too hard....they tend to build up heat too and you don’t want to be distorting large, flat panels.
    Cheers,
    Mark

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

They are designed for the task of removing paint from metal.
    eBay is cheapest source.
    Bunnings expensive.
    Mid $20s for 7"
    4" about $80 for 10 on ebay.
    ( Ensure the blue/ purple ones.)
    7" on sander polisher best value.
    Even tho the backed ones are convenient i find the full 7" without backing best .
    Bit of messing to fit them.
    I drill out centre if needed then compress the centre with two grinder fittings in a vice to make it easier to get the nut on when installing on sander.

They may rotate a bit so back off pressure.

Same with 4" version.

When almost worn out they are good for corners of windows etc.

I find the purple ones are best.
    The black ones break up.

As Mark said.
    Work over a foot or two with light pressure so as not overly heat large flat panels.
    But panels do tend to pop back once they cool.
    Overdoing it will bite you tho.
    Use at about 15-25 degree tilt from horizontal.
    You will find what works for you.

The excellent thing about them is they don't tend to wear corners and edges like sanding discs.

Once completed you will need to go over all the metal with a random Orbital and 120-150 grit as the strip it discs leave a polished surface.

Also treat metal with phosphoric acid metal prep according to instructions.
    Be sure to wipe off at end of process with damp/ wet rag .
    I actualy rinse then blow dry plus use metho .

The final surface must be dry .usualy a bit dusty like zinc.
    It MUST NOT be sticky.

You can prep this surface with a light scourer and wax n grease remover or a spirit based prep to ensure a sound clean surface for an epoxy primer.
    Doesn't matter if you remove small areas of the phosphate coating.

Ensure wax n grease remover completely dried off before painting. An hr on a warm dry day or assist with a heat gun .

Only prime in dry warm weather.
    Preheat panels if necessary.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  8. Paul S Atkins

Paul S Atkins Member

Wow.. Amazing info cbus thank you.
    Great tip about the Orbital sander afterwards to roughen up the surface a bit.

Great information, thank you.

9. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I kinda like using paintstriper for the bulk and then finish with the strip it disc to avoid creating as much dust.

10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I had excellent results using “peel away 8” non toxic strip method, but someone else here tried it and it didn’t work for them.

Depends on what paint is actually on the surface, as to how effective it is.

11. Paul S Atkins

Paul S Atkins Member

Wow... 'Peel Away 8' website say "Removes up to 20 layers in one application"!!!. I will give some a try, because as Nils said, the dust from using the disks is pretty impressive and any chance of reducing that would be a good thing.

oldman likes this.
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As Grant said...
    Works better on certain paints.
    Likely enamel which has a trait of going thermoplastic with the strip discs.

A combination can be quite effective.
    ie, scratch surface with strip disc or lightly with very coarse sanding discs on grinder.

Use stripper. Scraper.

Rinse well and allow to dry then finish with strip discs.

Work out what suits your situation/ paint.

If you use stripper from Bunnings get the Selly's one.

But ski type goggles. Cheese cloth type hood. 3m mask from Bunnings , makes for effective protection from the dust.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/3m-paint-project-reusable-respirators_p5820584

Paper masks are a compromise in my view.

13. Grantus

Buy the small test kit first, to see if will work on your bus.... ;)

3407329D-AE2F-4700-9631-CF77611E06FE.jpeg

35E4419B-F0DA-4CCB-914C-214091F5831A.jpeg

grumble, Wayne murray and oldman like this.
  14. DakDak67

DakDak67 Well-Known Member

I used about 100 of the bloody things , go for it.

15. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Yep, answer seems covered. They are awesome. Love them. but they do heat up so go gloveless and feel the steel often till you know how far you can push it. As soon as it get even close to warm to touch move on to another area.
    I found I was able to sit on the large flat side panel no problems so long as I worked in a grid constantly.

The flap it abrasive disks are awesome for cleaning up welds too. They were my two go two types for the stripping of my first bus.

16. Paul S Atkins

Paul S Atkins Member

Excellent. Thank you for the replies. I will stock up on some more.

Amazing work Grantus. I love the look of bare metal. Now I am wondering if it would be possible to have the bare-metal look like American Airlines did a few years ago. May blind people on a sunny day though.

17. Grantus

Unknown purchase, so I thought a bare metal start would show any underlying rust issues, or previous bogged body damage.

Stripping method, didn’t remove any extra metal, like sand blasting does, or any heat damage, from over enthusiastic abrasion discs. ;)

18. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Gather “Peel Away” doesn’t remove rust or bog?
    Just paint?