1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck in Bellingen

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by KanadaKombi, Dec 19, 2008.

1. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

Different town, different issues.:(
    While there are worse places to be stuck, the issue is that we need to be in Canberra for xmas and we are having problems with the distributor/module/wiring harness for our '84, water cooled, fuel injected, 1.9L(?), manual Caravelle (westfalia).
    The problem is the wiring inside the distributor was stripped and exposed and causing slight shorts which resulted in temporary power loss. Unfortunately the sparkie in Urunga cant figure out how to tear the distributor apart and try and patch the wires to get us going so he is trying to get a full distributor organised - very difficult, especially at this time of year.
    Any ideas??
    Unfortunately I have to use the internet at cafes, but if anyone has some great solution that could get me going, please call me 0431 243 681.
    We have a rental vehicle and could run to coffs and surrounds if necessary for parts etc.
    Cheers
    Jeremy

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

You could try Dave (KC member "Menangler"}, on 0402 003965.

He's parted out a T3 or 2, and may have a second hand one.

Sadly, he's in Nowra. But if you manage to do a patch job, and he does have one, he could send it to your families addy in Canberra.

Also ring Steve at Kombi Rescue in Sydney on 0400356057, tell him your situation, and see if he can advise either parts or repairs...

;)

3. Menangler

Menangler Member

Thaks for the referal Grant, but sadly I don't have a 1.9 dizzy, I have plenty of 2.1's but they are very different.
    Dave

4. 4wheels

4wheels New Member

See if you can get on to Mark & Donna, or Luke Pell in Nambucca Heads (nearby). They are organisers of the Valla VW event, and Mark used to run a VW workshop there (now retired). They were quite keen on T3's and may still have parts available. Luke runs a towing business in the area. Sorry I don't have contact details, but if the yellow pages fails you, try searching under VW Spectacular at Valla.

Brian.

5. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Luke Pell Towing
    Lot 1 Old Coast Rd,
    Nambucca Heads, NSW 2448

phone: (02) 6568 6327

6. Grantus

Just rang KanadaKombi on their mobile - went to messagebank. so I've left them Kombi Rescue's number.

If there's no post by morning, I'll ring again and give them Luke Pells details. :)

7. kombi rescue

kombi rescue New Member

The tci unit in a 1.9 dissy is usually very relaible....2.1 suffer more .Luke will sure have a dissy but make sure its the dissy playing up not the fuel tank which on hot days is the first sign of return pipe problems.....1.9 efi wbx buses in 84/5 suffered from both pickup and return fuel lines placed too close together in the tank ..solution was to cut the return pipe close to the tank inlet allowing the fuel to cool down sooner so the pickup wasnt sucking hot bubbly fuel...not saying this is the fault but a possability...cheers awaitng a call if you need some info ..thanks guys cheers steve

8. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

Morning all,
    Managed to finally get internet access.
    Grantus, thanks for the numbers, I will give Steve at Kombi rescue a call asap.
    I have left a message with Luke also so hopefully he will get in touch.
    Yesterday the sparky tried patching up the wires below the dissy, and leading out (TCI unit??)
    Got the van to run, but poorly - he was going to try and get the timing sorted as he thought this might be the problem??
    Will know more on monday.
    Cheers all
    Jeremy

9. Grantus

Gathering from various communications, that this problem is going to get sorted.

Here's hoping. :)

10. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

Grantus,
    Monday morning and still no final solution.
    Luke has offered to pickup if no luck by the end of the day.
    Unfortunately we may have to leave van here and rent a vehicle to make sure we are back in time for xmas otherwise I may get disowned by the family.
    Fingers crossed!!!
    Cheers
    J

11. Grantus

That's less than ideal... :cry:

And NOT the news I was hoping for... :(

12. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

Grantus,
    Have managed to get Milo back in running order. Turns out the sparky just needed to get some bolts put back in to the fuel vacuum that had been left out!!!.
    Unfortunately this could have been done on from the beginning and would have saved us time and money!! Not the best experience, both time and money wasted!!
    Thankfully Luke sent me right and we are heading south today, to be in Canberra Xmas eve.
    Thanks for all your help, and I will get in touch this week when we get back to Canberra
    Merry Xmas to all and thanks for all your help so far!!
    Cheers
    Jeremy

13. Grantus

Now THAT is the news I was hoping for.... :)

Beers are cold in the fridge whenever ...:D

14. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Great to hear....was starting to worry ...last thing we all want to hear is that a KC member is stranded somewhere over xmas...
    Hope you make it to Canberra safely & have a very Merry Xmas with your family :)
    Judy

15. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

Hey all,
    thanks for all your well wishes - we made it to Canberra with no more issues whatsoever, just in time for xmas eve!!
    Milo ran great and handled herself with aplomb on the big motorways.
    Grantus, will give you a shout on boxing day??
    Cheers all and merry xmas.
    Jeremy

16. Grantus

Yay team!!!

Fri sounds good - probably won't be up too early, after recovering from Xmas day, and we have to leave around 3pm for a "Boxing Day Recovery Party".

Any chance of coming over between 10-3? If so, let me know and I'll PM you directions to get here, (around 25mins drive from the city).

Which side / suburb of Canberra are you staying in?

Cheers.... :)

17. Grantus

Just to finalise this thread.... Had a call from Jeremy saying he couldn't make it today, as they were heading down the coast.

"Small World Syndrome" kicks in..:eek:

This random from Canada, buys a T3 in Brisbane, and turns out he went to school with one of my neighbours!

How awesome is KC? :lol:

18. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

Grantus,
    Happy new year!!
    Just wanted to give you a quick update.
    Spent the week down at mimosa rocks NP with brother and his family and mine - was fantastic!!
    Working our way slowly around the south coast for the next couple of weeks - will try and make it back to Canberra mid jan.
    Hope to see you then.
    Cheers
    Jeremy