1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subi conversion

Discussion in 'Performance' started by coastlaw, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Dusty Waves

Dusty Waves Member

gearbox was dropping out of 3rd and 4th ----christmas tree of filings didn't look good - so stripped the box down to find the main bearing was shattered and filings distributed right through the box :(
    IMG_20190705_103525.jpg IMG_20190814_203717.jpg

Wattie, David H and Syncro27 like this.
  2. Dusty Waves

Dusty Waves Member

so....decided to replace all bearings (right down to the little needle rollers) about $1000 in parts including a taller 4th gear IMG_20190914_175106.jpg IMG_20190927_160814.jpg IMG_20191025_182744.jpg I sourced this neat bearing retainer plate from TH Parts in Germany to solve the floating halfmoon key that pops out - this locks the whole bearing in place rather than just half of it being held in place by the case.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  3. Dusty Waves

Dusty Waves Member

Meanwhile, pulled the heads on the suby motor, replaced gaskets and seals, water pump and timing belt and torqued it all back together.
    Then started sorting the wiring :eek:[/ATTACH] IMG_20190602_122418.jpg IMG_20190517_190527.jpg Busaru are a wealth of info on this but it's still a tedious pain in the butt! next time I'm paying someone else to do it!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Wattie likes this.
  4. Dusty Waves

Dusty Waves Member

I bought the RJES bell housing - this uses the original vw clutch friction plate inside a suby clutch housing thingy - IMG_20200208_131214.jpg

Wattie and Syncro27 like this.
  5. Dusty Waves

Dusty Waves Member

engine and gearbox in - I mounted it all up with the box mounts in and the engine on jacks so I could fab a carry bar
    IMG_20200315_123417.jpg

IMG_20200317_174448.jpg

Rocky Mountain Westy exhaust arrived (4 days via UPS from the states) - my local exhaust bloke is booked solid for months with people spending their super! this cost me 995 aud landed - took 10 minutes to bolt it on! Cat and muffler soon to come!

IMG_20200817_150118.jpg

IMG_20200817_153728.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2020
    Wayne murray, cbus, Wattie and 2 others like this.
  6. Dusty Waves

Dusty Waves Member

yes I know, the standard sump messes my ground clearance - i'm saving up to get the shortened sump then I can get my skid plates back on and go "Syncroing" again! I started all this in may 2019 and have SERIOUS Syncro withdrawals happening here!

Wattie and David H like this.
  7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Nice work.

Yes that sump needs to go.

Not sure you will get the syncro skid plate on with that cross member unless its cut and welded on either side?

8. Dusty Waves

Dusty Waves Member

Yes I planned on a modded alloy skid plate hung between the carry bar and the old VW moustache bar

Syncro27 likes this.
  9. Dusty Waves

Dusty Waves Member

Also kudos to the guys at Northside Transmissions in Sandgate whose expert help got me sorted on the more difficult parts of the box rebuild!

Subdub67, cbus and Barry like this.
  10. Subdub67

Subdub67 Well-Known Member

did you put a new timing belt on and water pump?

11. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you used Northside. He did a nice job on my 2litre 6 rib box

cbus likes this.
  12. Dusty Waves

Dusty Waves Member

absolutely!
    checked the oil pump for wear and replaced all seals

13. SunnyJim

14. Dusty Waves

Dusty Waves Member

Ok it's on the road (i drive it to work most days) performance is AMAZING! so much more power. for comparison: driving over the gateway bridge i'd be back to 2nd gear doing 60kph with a bunch of frustrated drivers behind me....now i cruise over in 4th gear (i put a taller 4th in it too) trying to hold it down to 80kph! Much better fuel economy too! I get about 450 to 500ks out of a tank full now where it used to be looking empty at 330ks with the old wasserboxer.
    downside: still having issues with the gearbox despite replacing EVERY bearing - doesn't like going into 1st at times. I'm thinking sooner or later this auto forester in the shed is going to donate the whole drive train and live a better life! apart from that i love it! made it fun to drive again without the constant breakdown anxiety and lack of power. Still have to tidy up some wiring and get the sump shortened to regain some clearance ( backed into the kerb once and dented it! almost a coronary!) Also upgrading my camper set up with new solar panel, charge controller and battery while i'm at it.

TeeBee, David H, njg02 and 1 other person like this.
  15. SunnyJim

Great work!