1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion for future Bus Stops

Discussion in 'The Kombi Club Bus Stop 2012' started by Trav&Ren, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

As the annual Bus Stop is now an ingrained tradition I thought it might be worth expanding the horizons a little by announcing the hosting state two years in advance and the location one year in advance.

I tried to help by doing a little research for this year's Bus Stop and I found it was not an easy job trying to find anywhere that met the requirements and had room for 30-40 Kombis. Having this extra lead time might make it a bit easier to secure a location.

Also, kombi clubbers can book other holidays if they know that they won't be able to make the distance to either of the next two events (being Victorian I'd have to give QLD a miss), (but Tassie the year after would be nice, hint hint!).

OK, so I'm putting it out there. Just a thought to make things easier for those under the pump.

Trav.

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Good suggestion - I am also putting it out there that I will not be organising the 2013 Bus Stop which is in Queensland - so now is the time for someone to put their hand up and take over the reigns.

3. Choco

Choco Member

is there a bus stop committee????? or just mel?

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Melissa has been the major organiser and driving force for the Bus Stop gatherings and has done an exceptional job of selecting venues that provide the various and diverse requirements of our group. (With a little help from her friends). 3 cheers!!!
    The replacement volunteer will need support to continue the standard that has been set. Thanks melissa.
    Maybe a group can do the job as Choco mentions?

5. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Melissa has always done a wonderful job and I can understand the need for Melissa to have a break. Maybe if the location was announced 2 years in advance a committee could be formed from which ever state it is going to be in and they would have the control for their year with Melissa in an advisory role.

This would lessen the stress of trying to find the perfect caravan park/ location as the local team could check them out.

Melissa, what are our basic requirements? Things that spring to our mind are
    No. of cabins......?
    No. of powered sites..........?
    No. of unpoweres sites..........?
    Camp kitchen
    Large undercover gathering area
    Noise restrictions
    Gala night venue - food - entertaiment - transport - awards
    Suitable cruise route
    Childrens activity area
    Is more than one kombi allowed to park on a site or at cabins
    Suitable group photo location

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

That ticks most of the boxes Lorraine. One thing to remember is attitude of the park too. The mention of 50 to 60 kombis is enough to freak out some park owners and they dont want to know. Cost as well - some parks are over the top with pricing.

7. Quincy1874

Quincy1874 Member

May I suggest, getting ideas from the Campervan and Motorhomes association?? They have annual rallies around Australia, with similar, if not more required issues than us. . .

8. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

a totally unbiased opinion from me....

but Tassie does sound good :)

big four at Kelso

9. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

The thing that will stop mainlanders going to Tas is the boat.

10. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I have to agree, it is costing use $1200 for the boat, 2 adults + 2 kids overnight cabin. Bit cheaper if you go ocean recliner (rather have the sleep) or if you go during the day (boring as bats%^&) but still a major commitment for most people.

That said it is well worth it, but has been said you really want to take more than just easter and travel around a bit.

Adrian

11. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

And I thought it was us tassies with two heads that has stopped it coming here

lol

12. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

That is a great suggestion! It will take the pressure off 1 person and give the State where the Bus Stop is going to be held, 'ownership' and a sense of pride in doing the job well.

And as you say, then local KC'ers can physically check the suggested caravan parks out, etc and report back to the 'State' committee so a better decision can be made for all.

Melissa in an advisory role takes the pressure off her but ensures her experience is passed on...

13. douggieboy

douggieboy Active Member

Kombi Club Bus Stop - Queensland - Easter 2013

Good suggestion Lorraine.

Who wants to join a small committee to select a venue and manage the Kombi Club Bus Stop in 2013?

Cornish & Lynn (who have attended all KC Bus Stops to date) and Dale & I have already put our hands up and have already been having preliminary discussions with others around us.

We believe it is best to keep to the Gold Coast to make the venue accessible for more people from South of the border.
    We have so much to offer around here that no-one will be able to resist!

Please put your hand up now.

Doug

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  14. ozeddie

ozeddie New Member

I am willing to help.

15. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

After a call from Lynn and Paul this morning Andy and I would love to join the team :) Officially I live in NSW but very close to the QLD boarder, does that count?;)

16. DaveC.

DaveC. Active Member

;) Tassie sounds fine, but if you suffer from sea sickness like me, it wasn't very enjoyable, both ways, Dave and I took the cheap deal with the day sailing, in 2009 it cost only $79 each for us and kombi one way. We got preferential treatment from the purser, we got to go to our kombi before anyone else was allowed to go to their vehicle.!
    But saying that I will do it again, just dope myself up with seasick pills!
    Marney

17. douggieboy

douggieboy Active Member

Are you kidding? - of course you count - the more Bus Stop veterans the better.

Doug

18. douggieboy

douggieboy Active Member

Thanks Will.

I like your choice of music too. Will you be at DUBs? We could all have a chat there, maybe.

Doug

19. ozeddie

ozeddie New Member

Hi Doug,

When/what is DUBs?:eek:

My choice of music?:umm:

Lots of questions:wtf:

Sorry:lol:

Will

20. ozeddie

ozeddie New Member

How stupid do I feel!!!

I would LOVE to go to DUBs but I have tickets to the cricket!!! DAM!!!

Will see if I can go in the morning.

What are the timings? (New to Brisbane and traffic)

Will