1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surface Rust treatment/maintenance

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Scott Neilson, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Scott Neilson

Scott Neilson New Member

Hi All,

Just wanted some suggestions if i can please to let me know the best way of taking care of my paint & treating any surface rust that is on my Kombi. There is small rust spots on the roof above the cabin in the paint & there is also bits close to the rubbers on the sides & rear window where the paint looks thinner. There is a couple of bubbles that look a bit worse than surface starting. All of the window rubbers around the car seem to be in good condition ( a little dry but not severely cracked) My question is how & what should i be putting on & my Kombi to keep rust at bay? I would love to treat the whole car ( underneath & through doors etc ) but i do not know how or what is best to use. I have heard of Anchor wax. When i took the Kombi to Leons Motors for an inspection after purchase he told me i had a nice straight bus in very good nick & that i should just rust treat the thing to try & hold back the time & just to drive the wheels off it.

Thanks for help in advance.

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

3. Scott Neilson

Scott Neilson New Member

Thanks Melissa,

I will try & locate somewhere where i can get Ankor Wax. cheers

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Heavy duty lanolin is also safe to spray everywhere to hold rust at bay.
    Small rust spots around rubbers are best investigated by removing window and cleaning back to solid metal. Weld, treat, fill as necessary but don't expect bog to hold over rust. Even if pre treated as its invariably rusty underneath as well plus needs rustproofing inside cavities.
    Bog will hold moisture and make issue worse unless a 2pac primer under and over it..

On thin paint a good carnauba wax will give protection.

6. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

I had a lot of surface rust spots on my T3 which had caused staining to the paint around the spots. Some of the rust was caused by too much love by PO’s polishing through the paint, some by chips/scratches etc. I cut the paint back ad removed the staining with meguiars ultimate compound and then followed up with a couple of coats of meguiars hi-tech yellow wax and then a coat of nu-tech(?) once a year car polish. I haven’t retreated the paint since and staining/rust spots haven’t advanced...was about 18months-2yrs ago that I polished.
    I found that soaking all the window rubbers with autoglym rubber and vinyl conditioner seemed to soften the rubbers and got rid of the black dust that was constantly rubbing off everywhere.

David H and cbus like this.