1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surfboard....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Miss Leah, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Miss Leah

Miss Leah Member

I was thinking about buying a surfboard (probably second hand) and I'm aware quite a few of you kc'ers are surfers. Any tips or recomendations for a newbie? What sort of board should I look for as a beginner? You might need more details lol, ask me questions if you need more info. Thanks, Leah :)

2. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

7'10" gun, ticket to port campbell and a waterproof phone with two zeros already entered. All you should need.

Have fun ;)

Nah, but seriously. Get a fish. All fun, no hassles, surf on anything. If I can surf on one, so can you. I suck despite lots of trying.

3. greenbay

greenbay New Member

Leah try to find a mac-t or something similar.They have a moulded bottom and a softish deck a bit like a body board,most surf schools use them.They are great to learn on....

4. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

......and nothing smaller than 8 foot in length.

5. Miss Leah

Miss Leah Member

Have done surf school a few times, so know the general gist.

I didn't really want to buy the foam one, in case I grow out of it quickly and I will be wasting money buying another board in a few months.

I was after sizes I should look forand reputable brands.

6. groover

groover New Member

I learnt on a 6'6" Jackson single fin when i was 15 yrs old, now 39 yrs and still have this board, will take it to the grave lol.

Something around 6 - 7 ft older board ( float better and thicker ) or a board like greenbay said as they are the common ones the learners use today.

7. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

I learnt on a 6 foot something and have progressed to 9 footers and have never looked back. That was 15 years ago.

8. Dan_Ling85

Dan_Ling85 Member

9. GusW

GusW New Member

You'll find it easier on something with a bit more thickness and width. Look for something around 3 inches thick and about 21 wide. This will make it a lot more stable and easier to paddle on to waves. A mini mal or 'fun board' might be a good comprimise. Quite a few come up on ebay,. Stay away from the surf shops, they mark them up a lot. If buying a new one, go straight to a shaper. Your probably looking at around $500 - $600 brand new for a board like this or maybe $750 in the shops. Hope this helps.

10. namtoor

namtoor New Member

try 'gumtree' n look for a mini-mal something between 7 to 8 foot in lenght.. don't spend that much cash as you will probably want to change boards once you get the hang of it..btw allocate alot of water time:)

11. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I started on a 9'6" Wallace back in the early 70's then tried the smaller boards but not to my liking - a 7'2" Keyo pintail was my fav :)

You'll only be as good as the amount of water time and waves you get

12. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

leah
    all good advice. generally the bigger and wider the better the board to paddle and do the fun part stand up! then later on as u progress u will want something small lighter
    I think a 7 foot to 8ft min mal second hand is a good choice. anywhere from 200-500$

however simple part often overlooked by beginners, make sure you can easily fit it under your arm and walk 100 metres with it down the the beach. if not this is a real pain

13. Dudo

Dudo New Member

Get a stand up paddle board,you wont look back. The revolution in in full swing

14. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Funny how all the shortboarders used to curse us longboarders for taking all the waves. Now it's us longboarders cursing the SUP guys standing deeper in the lineup!

If I was reading this thread I'd be pretty confused at all the varied advice. Shorter board, longer board, fatter board, thinner board....
    I'm with Jon on this one. I was told by a guy who taught me to surf (Rusty Miller) that as a learner, the more volume (and generally bigger) the board, the more waves you'll catch and the better you will get. Made sense to me although I would say make sure it's comfortable to carry a few hundred metres under your arm.

Have fun looking and even more fun surfing

15. whoaNellie

whoaNellie New Member

Yeah find yourself a local shaper and they can customise a board for you!! Thats what i did,cost a bit more but you get to choose your own colours and sticker designs.
    I have a mini mal,and hot hot pink with my name on it !!!! :)

16. mannmade

mannmade Member

17. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

I have a mal you can borrow for a while. 9'8" tufflite.

Easy to paddle, stand up and light to carry.

Where do you surf? Try it for a while as it may save you a few bucks before you buy something.

18. Live&Direc

Live&Direc Member

Get a thick one around the 7' mark. It'll be a bit more useable than a bigger one, once you get your confidence up.

And get a good leg rope too :D

19. Miss Leah

Miss Leah Member

Wow guys, thanks for much for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

Kombirod - I haven't really surfed properly, I have just done some lessons in the gold coast and at maroubra beach. Dad is moving back to maroubra in a few weeks, so that will be my main beach. I am planning to go to narooma for a few weeks over summer and get my boyfriends dad to teach me more. Once I get the hang I might have to come visit you and surf with you :)

I'm thinking I might buy a 7' board, that seems to be the general consensus around here.

:)

20. Miss Leah

Miss Leah Member