1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surfers (pref heavy) advice please.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 68BUS, May 16, 2013.

1. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

1- i want to know Oldmans secret spot....
    Seriously though,
    I am 6"2' and weigh in at a beautifully slight 110kg-ish.

I am quite happy on my 9"6' McTavish but struggle on my 7"6'cheap as chips minimal.
    I am very seriously considering purchasing a second hand fish (i will post brand in reply as I am on phone so cannot do both now.)

Basically it is an epoxy fish 7"8' x 22(i think) x 3".

I will be getting it at half price with bag and lease and in vgc.
    Is this a good way to go?
    I want something that I can get out through surf where my Mal acts as an anchor.
    To big?
    Not big enough for me?

I would love feedback from fish owners as I have never surfed a short board shape.
    P.s. I an beginner to intermediate. Certainly not good.
    cheers.

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

3. nickc

nickc Member

Now days its all about volume in a board and not length. When you can work out what litres of foam in a board that you may need its alot easier. I am a lightweight at 68kgs and was told I only need about 25to 28 ltrs of volume but my smallest board has 31.5 and go up to 38ltrs for a fishy type board. Which would probably be enough for a 80-90kg person. Really you don't know if a board is good for you untill you ride it! I would go down a bit personaly say 7'2" as 7'8" i still in the mini mal size. Depends what you want to do on the board and the waves you surf. Most of all catch as many waves as you can and have fun. Nick

4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Brad, why not get down to one of those " Demo board "days that are held & try a few out..??......that way you can try just about any shape/size combo. & see what works best for you.
    I'm 5'10", 90kg & have a range of sticks from 6'0"x20"x 2 5/8" - my fish.......up to a longboard & everything in between. My go-to is a 6'7" x 18'x 2 1/2".
    Horses for courses as they say....important thing is that you catch waves.If you're stuggling to float, you won't catch too many.
    As Nick posted, volume is the key. A good shaper can include volume without sacrificing performance.

Thanks for the pulls - got 'em yesterday. Cheers, Mate :cool:

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  5. kombivan

kombivan New Member

doesn't matter how long it is as you are 110kg so you need a board with a 70mm thick deck min thickness to float you properly you want a flat bottom not a banana with good upsweep on the nose and a width of 19-21 inches rail to rail 2-3 fins but you don't want a lot of drag on the fins as the board will be harder to turn (if you look at the fins you will see what i mean by drag) for your size the shorter the board the fuller the shape you want but as a beguinner you want a full shap anyway. I have a 6'4" that floats me and is good to surf but due to back ingury and a stroke I haven't been out for a lot of years but when i get my panel van back my boards are coming with me as i think I might be ready to have another go at it again. also i am 120kg this should give you an idea.

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

7. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Cool.
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    If I can get the big fish at the right price I think I will to give it a go and once I feel it is too big I might try something in a mid 6foot range.
    And thanks Mark - I never knew about demo days.

8. Kombirod

Kombirod New Member

I have a 7 foot simmons copy 7X22x3 and I no longer ride my 9,4" mal.

Got it from sunshine surf in Manly, shaped by dave woods.

I am 85kg, but have had heavier guys ride it and love it

Cheers Rod

9. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I don't want to replace the mal that is for sure.
    Hopefully getting okay on turning style board will make it easier to walk the mal.

10. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Hey Brad, I ride mals 90% of the time but have a few short boards too, one of my favorite boards is by Mark Rabbidge , retro "fat boy fish" 6.8 x 2 5/8 x 22 or 23 from memory. A great board, use it also as a twin fin which is super loose and gives great fun , more turns, more manouverable. I'm around 85-87kg but have a had heavier guys ride it and have fun. Jumping on it is a nice change. As Mark "Oldman" said see if you can get to a demo day or some shops may let you borrow / trial / hire a few boards. Or see if you can borrow one that is similar to what your looking at. Or have a holiday come down to the northern beaches and you can borrow the fat boy !! :)

11. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Get a bodyboard!

12. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

No please don't :/

13. Bensville

Bensville Active Member

Has anyone considered the type of wave your regularly riding?

14. baykruzer

baykruzer Member

kai, you should be set off for that kind of carry on or atleast 10 in the bin

ive got a fair mix of boards and agree that overall volume is the key, in saying that my favorite board at the moment measures 15" x 7" x 1 1/4". cant spend enough time in the water with my new hand plane and flippers. love it

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  15. Red Kev

Red Kev Member

Hey Brad, I'm 6ft and 110-odd kg. Shortboarder in a longboarder's body ;) Where are you surfing? I don't like a whole lot of things about EPS boards, so I am not very objective. Hard to go past a half-price deal, but I really don't think you're going to be happy with that board. Fish are okay down-the-line and small day boards, but if you're wanting to get out into surf that your longboard is hindering, I suspect you're talking larger surf and I think you're going to struggle with that board in bigger surf or if you have any interest in turning. I know that money is always an issue, but I seriously think you'd get better value in the long run talking through a custom board with a good shaper. Or maybe look at a lighter weight, shorter (9') performance longboard. i've got a custom Tollhurst/Ingleby performance mal and a 9'2" Dick van Straalen and I have no issue duck diving either (good technique and a bit of extra ballast) or taking them out in bigger surf and throwing them around. In what way do you struggle with your 7'6"? Why do you want a short board? Embrace your inner long boarder. You could consider a McCoy. The person and his boards tend to divide people, but the loudest and most vociferous of his critics tend be those who have never ridden one of his boards and have never met him. He's a spinner, for sure, but he knows as much as anyone about board dynamics. i have a 6'8' zot single fin and while it took some getting used to and some perseverance, if the surf is barreling I honestly don't want to be on any other board. His boards have pretty generous volume, too. Clear as mud?

16. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Rev,
    I am not a good surfer, but I.love it anyway.
    So the surf.I am going in is.not that big anyway. I love riding the Mal on the point breaks but steer clear most of the time as good surfers tend to crowd me out.
    So I want something a bit different to hopefully improve my surfing on the beach breaks with the bottom turn especially.

I figure it will still be loggish ut will assist me to find my feet.

And the problem I have with my minimal is it is under volumed for me and I struggle to catch waves.
    Also it is a bit old and starting to perish so I will flick it on. Be good for someone starting out at least.

17. milly

milly Well-Known Member

Kai meant to say Get a Parkes KNEEBOARD.:lol:
    Ive seen many mini Simmons and Fish up here at Port Macquarie, not much difference to a kneeboard just missing the knee pads.:rolleyes:

18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

...& the rider's ability to stand up....:p

( Joke Joyce !!.....before anyone gets upset :rolleyes: )

Cheers, Mark

19. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

My husband gets his boards made by Al Byrne of Byrning Spears - absolutely loves them and keeps going back for more.

20. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Hey Brad, I ride mals 90% of the time but have a few short boards too, one of my favorite boards is by Mark Rabbidge , retro "fat boy fish" 6.8 x 2 5/8 x 22 or 23 from memory. A great board, use it also as a twin fin which is super loose and gives great fun , more turns, more manouverable. I'm around 85-87kg but have a had heavier guys ride it and have fun. Jumping on it is a nice change. As Mark "Oldman" said see if you can get to a demo day or some shops may let you borrow / trial / hire a few boards. Or see if you can borrow one that is similar to what your looking at. Or have a holiday come down to the northern beaches and you can borrow the fat boy !!

Mate, something with plenty of volume, slightly wider will get you on the way to what you want. I still reckon try a couple different boards if you can .