1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 Camper info required.

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by DDV65, Sep 2, 2013.

1. DDV65

DDV65 New Member

Hi all out there in Kombiland! I am looking at buying my first 1982 Camper and as I'm used to bay windows this is a little new to me after 20 years playing with Volkswagens! I have looked at a Sunliner conversion camper, which to me doesn't look right (my parents had a 1984 Shiralee converted one) so firstly I was wondering if anyone on here has a sunliner converted T3, and the next question, what is on your compliance plate for seating compactly, I.e 2 seater or 4 seater.....thank you in advance for any info. I want to make sure I'm not going to be throwing my money away.

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The compliance plate would only show the original configuration. (Usually 2)

3. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I dont know about Sunliner conversions much but almost all T3's converted in this country were based on transporter panel vans or window vans and hence their compliance plates will say seating capacity 2.

However, engineers papers will show any additional seating that has been approved and the rego papaers should reflect this.

There should be a compliance plate somewhere around the drivers seat - I have seen some under the seat belt high up on the B pillar, some on the inner step, some on the ventilation duct etc.

Get out a small torch and go searching!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Cars from that era just have a sticker usually.

5. DDV65

DDV65 New Member

Thank you for the info. My husband had a Trakka converted T3 and it had the sticker/plate on the inner step (only just remembered that..) but I don't remember seeing anything on this one I'm looking at, but good to know that it's probably all hunky dorey if everybody else's is the same on the compliance. The guy couldn't find his rego papers when I was talking to him on the phone tonight. Thank you again Syncro and Syncro27 greatly appreciated :)

6. cameron

cameron Member

if you're having a rock and roll bed and want it to legally seat passengers in the back you'll need a kustom kombi bed/seat which is ADR approved, then you can register it as a 5 seater,
    I can supply and trim it let me know if you need any help,
    cheers,
    cam.

7. DDV65

DDV65 New Member

Thanks Cameron, but the 82 already has the rock n roll bed fitted and the rest of the cabinetry in it, just didn't look like I expected it to. I will contact you if I need a replacement if this one is dodgey.

8. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

My '82 was originally registered as a 2 seater and indeed the compliance plate still sys that. I had to get an engineer's certificate for the rear bed / seat so that I could carry an extra three. I had to also get an engineer's certificate for the rear seat belt fitment and the pop top even though it was registered as a camper in the ACT. It wasn't difficult to get the required certification, just an inconvenience.

Ian

9. DDV65

DDV65 New Member

Thanks Ian, something I have to look into a bit more........