1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 Lowering - Stabilizer info needed

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by 65busser, Sep 4, 2013.

1. 65busser

65busser Member

In my quest to sort out the best lowering setup for a T3, I need someone to take the same pic of a standard height suspension as the one attached.

I didn't take pics before mine was lowered which was bright, so I don't have a reference to see what and how things have changed. I mainly want to see how the stabiliser bar sits on a standard height T3 but if someone could take a pic from under the front looking back, like the attached, that'd be great.

Cheers
    Brad

[​IMG]

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Here are 2 pics to compare, The first is stock, the 2nd is -30mm Carat springs. I held the camera ar the bottom lip of the bumper to get it parralel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 65busser

65busser Member

Good on you Phil. Thanks heaps. That's perfect.

4. Hey Brad what ya planning? thinking of shortening the drop links to restore some of the correct angles etc????

good thinking if thats the case.

Brendan

5. 65busser

65busser Member

Yeah spot on Brendan. Did that and it was superb for about 3-4 months but a couple of weeks ago the nut securing the left drop link sheered off the end of the drop link. As a quick fix they were both shortened again. New thread on the end of the sheered one and the other shortened to the same length. Feels fine but there's a lot of groaning going on now which makes me wonder if they're now too short. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

6. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

With my -60mm it chewed out the upper control arm bushes on the passenger side.

7. disconnect the sway bar completely then go for a bit of a spin. noise still there then I'd be looking at upper control arms as well.

8. 65busser

65busser Member

Think I've found the source of the groaning from underneath. Looks very much like the stabiliser has been put back on ass about which puts it hard up against the chassis rather than passing underneath it. Metal to metal. Sounds nasty but stability and handling feel good, so fitted correctly it should be sweet.
    Good call on the upper control arm bushes too. Picked up a set of genuine to go on.
    Appreciate the help Gents.

9. where did you source the genuine bushes from Brad?

10. 65busser

65busser Member

Friendly local VW dealer parts dept.

11. do they have any branding on them Brad? Meyle, Febi etc?

12. 65busser

65busser Member

Here you go. I saw a comparison by one of the T3 parts suppliers I think it was, where they put the genuine units up against Meyle and two other manufacturers and the original was considered to be superior. It came down to how well the inner sleeve was fitted from memory. They were about $20 each at VW. I ordered the genuine stabilizer bar bushes on Saturday. About $15 each on average.

Just had the stabilizer fitted right way round and it's beeeutiful once more. Smooth as and it handles again.

[​IMG]

13. Got a picture from a different angle? doesnt really look like an upper bush, part number looks good but doesnt look like my upper bushes.

not trying to be a pain in the arse, just trying to get the "good oil" on these before I buy some myself.

Cheers