1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 syncro engine swap

Discussion in 'Performance' started by farquire, Jan 11, 2015.

1. farquire

farquire Active Member

did a subaru 2.5 engine swap into my syncro about three months ago now,along with everything i thought would need changing while the motor and gearbox was out,fuel tank removal all new lines,grommets ,fuel pump,cv's, bearings,bushes,seals,gear selector bushs etc,fitted rear disc brakes ,with go westy big brakes on the front, a fully loaded syncro camper is a heavy vehicle, in my opinion the standard brakes were shite ,van cafe springs with old man emu shocks shocks,used smallcar performance for the conversion parts and pretty happy with their fit and quality though as with everything the conversion had its moments with a few brain teases thrown in along the way,used AMAUTO for the harness mod no issues there at all ,and a local guy for the aircon which works well and doesn't have to be turned off at the sight of a hill,performance and economy is greatly improved especially on a trip as its a motor that loves to rev, i'm getting 100-150 more k's out of a tank on a trip while sitting on the speed limit up and down hills,city driving mileage drops back but still better than the mv 2.1,
    next on the list is the front end and cooling system,new radiator, hose's,ball joints, bushes,bearings,seals,cv's,springs,shocks etc,have al the bits but have been enjoying driving it too much,was a bit slack and didn't take any pictures of the process but here's a few of the finished job,though i have modified the engine bash plate and fitted it since[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Would love to have a look at this

Any chance you might come down to Harry's on the 6th Feb?

3. farquire

farquire Active Member

don't know about getting to Harry's,but your welcome to come have a look anytime
    mike

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

5. farquire

farquire Active Member

yeh, it takes a bit of planning and doesn't take much to throw it into kaos,especially if your buying from overseas and somethings missing or you just forgot it ,one piece for my fuel tank had to be reordered ,and them customs impounded my parcel so pretty much nothing could be done,lots of good information about,and lots of choices ,
    will probably have the front end pulled down around the 6th as i 'm up the coast the australia day week

6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Love yer work Mike :cool:

7. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Very nice Mike - the 2.5L scooby is the best motor for a syncro around - the 2.2 is not enough and the 3.0L 6 cyl is too much for the gearbox and heavy on fuel.

What did Am Autos charge for the harness?

8. farquire

farquire Active Member

from memory scott it was very reasonable around $300 but on there advice i used a vdo vss , which i've had no issues with but was a bit pricey also bought though them,they wouldn't recommend the smallcar axle mounted one at all,just looked it up and it was $540 harness mod ,vss and postage

9. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day Farquire. I fitted an EJ 20 turbo 10 years ago to a synchro & used the vdo vss with success the synchro is sitting in the shed with a
    the 5th gearbox in it that had been done up dropped 2nd gear after having albins 3rd & 4th fitted to it the owner just couldn't handle the cost of another rebuild. I had started to fit a subarugears box & rear diff in the front for him but again ran into indecision. I would suggest a very light foot unless you have upwards of 5k per gearbox

10. farquire

farquire Active Member

thanks,i'm hoping that the turbo's extra power was the problem, i don't drive it like a race car ,just enjoy that extra power that was missing in the 2.1 mv motor

11. Syncro27

Thanks Mike,

I have heard those small car speed sensors on the CV catch fire - a mate said he had that problem and did what you did instead - simple nice dry out of the way fit on the instrument cluster - loads better.

One other thing - where did you source you donk from and what did you do to it - ie timing belts head gaskets etc..

Cheers,

12. Syncro27

Oh, and was the small car bellhousing hard to fit?

13. farquire

farquire Active Member

ok firstly the smallcar bellhousing couldn't be easier,bolts straight up little bit of sealant ,there a youtube video,my only concern with it is the internal slave cylinder,which some report having trouble with and requires engine or gearbox removal to replace,i bought the motor from a guy in Wollongong who has a bit of a backyard business wrecking suby's think i got onto him through ebay but i still have his number,i ended up buying most of a half cut and stripping it down myself,which gave me a undamaged harness and lots of bits /nuts bolts brackets,relays fuses etc that i used on the conversion,it had just had a major 100,000 service new belts etc so i didn't play with it,the only thing i did was fit a guide on the timing belt which coming out of a auto didn't have,but manuals do, to stop the belt from jumping a tooth,hope that makes sense,bought an aftermarket Tomei onehttps://www.google.com.au/search?q=...VJioIqK4mAWdw4LYAg&sqi=2&ved=0CCUQsAQ&dpr=0.9,had to source a flywheel[none turbo] and manual starter,though not a smallcar conversion i got a lot of information/help from this link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=517384&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  14. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day farquire. the turbo didn't add thet much & the owner could just as easily drive a volv0 with a bowls hat in the back window after the 1st box he started to nurse it through changes & revs but to no avail. Not meaning to put a damper on your syncro just speaking from experience.
    ernie

15. Syncro27

Thanks Mike

16. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

I found the Ej22 to have plenty of power in a Syncro. I towed a car trailer with a T3 caravelle on it 400 km from Townsville to Mackay and cruised on about 90 kmh.

I thought this was quite good performance considering the combined weight and a motor with about 150K on it. Was running on 215/65R16 at the time.

On the 2 conversions I have done I have used the Jetta V.S.S(1994 Ej22) fitted to the speedo and the Smallcar V.S.S(1996 EJ22) both without any problems.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  17. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

P.S nice conversion

18. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

mmm..........my small car vss has been going for nearly 10 years ! its actually a high quality Honeywell proximity switch, have used many in automation and robotic projects where failure will not do !

19. Syncro27

Wattie, a syncro mate from South Oz had AM Auto do his 2.5 Scooby conversion and supplied them with the small car CV mounted VSS and they fitted it and when tested it caught fire.

Lucky only minor damage which was fixable.

He then looked at alternatives.

Dash mounted sensor is loads better in a 4Wd that something out in the rain, mud and dust.....

20. farquire

farquire Active Member

i hope my vdo speed sensor does the same,i would have used the smallcar vss,except for amauto saying how much trouble they'd had,anything that possibly bursts into flames was a no no for me,when doing a conversion for the first time i took what advice i could get ,also having it under the car didn't appeal to me as i do off road it,though break your speedo cable and you've no vss either,lots of different ways to skin a cat after a few years i'll be able to say weather i should have done it different