1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 Syncro Help/Assistance

Discussion in 'Buying and selling help' started by air82, Oct 10, 2018.

1. air82

air82 New Member

Hi All,
    I have just recently found a 89 Syncro for sale in Melbourne and I have a question for the brains trust!

The Syncro is missing the prop shaft/drive shaft/tail shaft (not 100% what the correct name is as I’ve seen all these used in relation to said part) therefore only running 2wd.
    - What sort of cost am I looking at to replace this and how hard is it to find a replacement part (in Australia)?

Also, seeing as I’m not very mechanically minded is their anyone out there in the Melbourne area who could come have a look at the syncro with me on Friday?

Cheers
    Liam ✌️

2. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Hey Liam :) I would be more concerned as to the reason why the front prop was removed...
    Generally people remove them due to something being wrong in the front diff etc.
    I’m a T3 guy but don’t know a lot about syncro’s but know that syncro diff and box issues=$$$$$$$$
    Someone more knowledgeable will probably jump in shortly :) @syncro

cbus likes this.
  3. air82

air82 New Member

So apparently the story is that the bloke who owned it before the bloke who has it for sale, removed it so the van was more economical on fuel for his trip from Melbourne to North QLD!

That is all I’ve been told.

4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

And what did that bloke do with the parts? o_O

5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

.... and that’s been a hot topic of debate recently........
    Cheers,
    Mark

6. kleinersyncro

kleinersyncro Active Member

Hi Liam,

Getting a used prop shaft here might be difficult, but not impossible. Sure there are floating a few around. But in worst case, probably costs you around $1.000 to get a recon one (if nothing else is wrong with it).

Can you pls flick me a PM with more details on the Syncro and where about it is located? Normally I would offer to help looking at it, but I’m not around on Friday. Maybe Sunday is an option.

Cheers Arne

David H and Grantus like this.
  7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

As suggested above.
    Factor in assumption front parts dodgy unless proven otherwise.

8. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Not to rain on you parade Liam, I hope you have deep pockets, or are happy to be part of very steep learning curve.

Repairs indeed become a very expensive undertaking very quickly.

Concider why you want a syncro and whether a 2Wd would be a better purchase?

David H and Grantus like this.
  9. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Hi Liam.
    Give me a call.
    Gerry. 0438 303 270.

10. mackaymanx

mackaymanx Active Member

Does it have power steering? if not it might be a reason the shaft is out as they are a bit of a pig without it.

11. peter915

peter915 Active Member

Agree with previous comment.
    Uwe in Melbourne makes a new replacement shaft . Affordable . And they work.

12. air82

air82 New Member

Thanks for the reply’s everyone :)

I ended up missing out on the Syncro as it was sold to someone else! After doing a bit more research and hearing a few different opinions my heart wasn’t 100% sold on the idea of ownjng a syncro!

I don’t think I would have used it to it’s full potential, therefore a bit of a waste me owning one, when someone else could get more joy out of it!

Anyway I have my eyes set on a nice Caravelle I have found, so fingers crossed!!

David H likes this.
  13. air82

air82 New Member

This one had no power steering!

14. air82

air82 New Member

Thanks for the reply! I think my mind was a bit excited with the thought of owning a T3 Syncro! In all honesty I think it would be over kill for what I would generally use it for (mainly a daily driver)!

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  15. air82

air82 New Member

Apparently the guy that took the parts out left them at home in his shed! While away on his trip his mates moved house! When he came back home (to the new pad), he went back to old house and checked where he had left the prop shaft in the shed and it was gone..... so the story goes!

16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So the story goes.

You still got that 82 T3? :rolleyes:

17. air82

air82 New Member

No I don’t! I do miss it though:(

18. nils

nils Well-Known Member

If the style is your biggest motivation, lifted 2wd can look as tough as an syncro at half the price. The extra money can be spent on building something that is truely a pleasure to drive. You also then have the option of an auto too if you are so inclined.
    The VW platform in 2WD form is still pretty capable for light track work (plenty of guys and girls have driven around oz in a 2WD) and if you do find yourself in the occasional bit of trouble the 2wd box in mosst cases will accept and locker or LSD as well.
    To be quite honest I enjoyed my 2wd over my syncro due to less cost and less time in the garage. Would I buy another Syncro?
    I can confidently say no.

oldman likes this.
  19. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

My lifted 2wd auto gets me most places. :)
    PS Melbourne R.jpg

tillis likes this.
  20. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Have to agree with all the above. A mildly tricked 2WD will do it all. If you're serious about using your 4WD to tear up planet earth - get a Landcruiser.