1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 TinTop Westfalia Conversion

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Hutchie, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Hutchie

Hutchie Well-Known Member

2. Hutchie

Not so fast “Lucky” you still need to feed in the othe piece behind the booster :confused:

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I think that was the extra work, that made me decide to just leave it in place and protect it from overspray.

Was not an easy decision, as I really wanted to change the set up back to the earlier version, to allow the dash vents to only draw fresh ambient air to the dash vents.

My earlier Velle has that feature, and if the cabin gets too warm in winter, the dash vents are just fresh cool air when opened.

The later SC vents, only draw the air from the hot side of the heater core.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  4. Grantus

How the early Velle dash vent pipe is set up, drawing just outside air from behind the heater core....

F6BB6383-1F72-4495-BFE3-51D9DDFB7069.jpeg

And how the later T3’s are done, with an adapter pipe to take the air (heated if on) from in front of the heater core, to the dash vents, and the rear outlet is factory sealed.

282A31CC-BBD1-4CB5-BB21-3A76A7D95581.jpeg

Easily done on the LH passenger side, but pointless, as I’m rarely / never in that seat, so left it as factory issue.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  5. Hutchie

Thanks Grant, I don’t think that I have that right angled adapter piece for the LHS, is it essential ?

6. Hutchie

Found it:)
    As I’ve come to expect with this project it was located in another box totally unrelated to the rest of the ducting:confused:

Barry likes this.
  7. Hutchie

Front doors are going back in, just finished drivers side. Those rubber boots that hold the mirrors, central locking, speakers etc are a real PIA. I think that the passenger side will be worse due to the fuse panel :confused:
    A3C7ACAD-66B8-4273-B52A-E2F789CE0754.jpeg

Grantus and Syncro27 like this.
  8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

The rubber boot that the speedo cable goes through the firewall to the front left on a Beetle or Type3 is a mongrel to fit also :confused: .... it's elliptical shaped and the hole is in behind the glovebox.

9. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Agree - VW's wire and conduit fitters must have very small strong fingers

10. Grantus

Interesting you say that, coz when I did the Wolfsburg factory tour with the Golfs being produced, and also the Hannover Kombi factory, where the T6 was being built, I was fascinated with the plethora of robotic assembly, welding and spraying automation techniques incorporated. Yet all the wiring looms for each vehicle, still have an army of employees, undertaking the task of manual installation.

And yes, it is a PIA job. ;)

Syncro27 and Hutchie like this.
  11. Hutchie

Both doors back on now, boots n wires in. Sound system is pumping, mirrors and central locking work on drivers side, just need to check passenger side and drill holes for extra mirror bolts on both sides re-fit plugs and I’m done with electrical in doors.

12. Hutchie

Purchased this little guy from a guy in Lithuania through eBay then used Planet Express to ship it out.
    A4D7BAA4-11E2-404B-99B5-81678B826D2B.jpeg
    I removed the “bridge” that was originally in its place and inserted the new relay, then removed Removed the “plug” on the steering column that prevented the wiper stork from being pulled down into the “intermittent” mode ...... voila, now I have intermittent wipers :)

13. Grantus

Was probably a $400 extra, if you tick the “intermittent wiper” box at the dealer when new......

They even ran out bridging bars in the later models, so they fitted a stock 1 delay only relay instead, Not the “99” variable intermittent one, but left the plug on the wiper stork.

14. Hutchie

Phew, so 5 pounds for the relay and $25 postage wasn’t a bad deal then !!;)

15. Grantus

Good value. That variable intermittent relay, is much more useful than the stock 3 sec delay only one. :)

16. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Its a Golf relay so could have found it here I guess

17. Grantus

Try a VW dealership? :p :rolleyes:

Luckyphil likes this.
  18. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Which one Phil (Syncro) :)

Barry likes this.
  19. Hutchie

I tried Mick Motors, no good, they put me onto a VW dealer in Sydney, their system showed that was one left in stock in a warehouse somewhere and I could have it for $160.......I said leave it in the warehouse :confused:

20. Grantus

Sounds familiar, for parts through dealerships. :mad: