1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 TinTop Westfalia Conversion

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Hutchie, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Hutchie

Hutchie Well-Known Member

I noticed last night that the lift channels on my front windows have some significant areas of rust, in some places they have been eaten right through. With this in mind I have ordered some new ones ..... can anyone let me in on the trick to get the old ones off, they seem to be stuck fast.
    D775D585-269A-4E50-A1F0-8ABC37D19A08.jpeg

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Maybe soak with WD40?

3. Hutchie

I’m giving that a go Barry, thanks

4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You may also have to give it a gentle tap with a wooden block and a rubber mallet. On the window channel is their a lip going outwards in which you can get a wooden block onto? using the block on the channel on the outside curve side should give you room to get onto that lip on the channel to give it a few gentle whacks to slowly remove it.

5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Don't worry Grant, I'll bring it back.
    No way am I going to colour sand my bus when I repaint :D

Grantus likes this.
  6. nils

nils Well-Known Member

You can buy it at bunnings, it is gray as standard but only has one moisture barrier strip instead of the factory 2

7. Hutchie

Thanks Nils

8. Hutchie

Window lift channels are off, block of wood and rubber mallet did the trick.....a little bit stressful though because you never know whether the next “tap” will be met with a “crack”

9. Hutchie

I stripped the front window regulators apart this morning, cleaned, re-greased, and now slide as smooth as silk. I cleaned up all of the glass last week and that is now getting tinted. Slider and front wing frames getting re-sprayed next week. Hopefully I will be able to put all the glass back in over the next few weeks.
    D8838C88-CFAC-467A-809B-AEBFA7316C12.jpeg

Grantus and Syncro27 like this.
  10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

What level of tint have you opted for? :rolleyes:

11. Hutchie

Strictly legal upfront Grant, slightly darker down the back

12. Hutchie

Finally got around to installing my KK rock n roll bed over the weekend. Pretty easy to fit.... nice work Jamie.
    EE991A91-DB94-4CA3-8814-8BDBB8FB8147.jpeg

D4EB9727-99D9-4FF9-9806-0ADF02CA7FB5.jpeg

Syncro27 likes this.
  13. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Member

Great work on the seat! We too are doing a Westylike build but not to the extent of cutting out the roof. We ended up making a slide out sofa bed like thing in place of the rock and roll seat. How hard was the seat to fit? We may still do one later down the track when the need for more seating arises. Were you planning on having your van complianced for the extra seats or is it already a 4/5 seater?

14. Hutchie

The seat is super easy to install, you just need an extra person to hold the backing plates on under the van while everything is bolted in place. My van was only ever registered as a 2 seater so I will be getting the RR bed engineered for extra passengers. Hopefully this will not be an issue as my engineer just needs to attest that the seat has been installed correctly in accordance with the instructions ... the seat itself has been designed/constructed to meet ADR requirements.

Syncro27 and TeeBee like this.
  15. Hutchie

Spent this morning putting on new rubbers and installing the driver door glass. It was a bit fiddly and I managed to take a small chunk of tint from the newly tinted windows (hopefully this can be repaired) but we are moving forward again.
    2644FBEB-C198-4A20-A83C-1A73DEF21446.jpeg

TeeBee, Syncro27, nils and 2 others like this.
  16. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Wow it looks fantastic with the windows in and some of the roof on.

It will be a very special vehicle when done...

17. Hutchie

Thanks Syncro, I’m really keen to get this on the road, but I just have to temper that enthusiasm some times and take my time when undertaking tasks that have a highly noticeable outcome such as installing windows with tint on them. Just had a quick discussion with the team that tinted all of my windows, unfortunately the damage cannot be repaired and I will need to remove the window and have the old tinting removed and a new tint applied. It’s a bit of a setback but can be remedied .... just time and money.

So that others may learn from my mistake here is the de-brief

The damage to the tint occurred while I was installing the inner and outer scrapers that go on the bottom of the frame and up the rear edge slightly. The scrapers are held in place by 3 or 4 pairs of metal clips that are are on the inside of the door cavity (see below).

C48DBEE9-5774-4CB2-A4DE-82E5B104C637.jpeg

The edges of the clips are fairly sharp so I covered them with duct tape while installing the window, unfortunately though this had to be removed before the scrapers were put on. To put the scrapers on I had the window would down as far as it would go but this still left some of it sitting above the bottom of the frame.

E8BC2E01-2649-41DD-A291-F5E90431326A.jpeg
    With the scrapers on though this wasn’t as noticeable and only 3-5 mm was left protruding above the scraper.
    2EBA2C2E-00BC-40B0-9A7C-DF899FF40B78.jpeg

Anyway with the window fully down I inserted the outer scraper and then gave it a bit of a thump over the area where the clips were with my palm to make it engage. This all went well and so I repeated the same process with the inner scrapper. In retrospect I think I should have installed the inner scraper first. Because the outer scraper was in place it pushed the glass (and tint on inside) closer to the metal clip and so as I was pressing the scraper in (with a thump) I inadvertently pushed the metal scraper up against the glass and scratched some of the tint off. When I do this again I will install the inner scraper first and also try to place some masking tape or material over the “danger zones” and be extra careful not to “thump” too hard.

If anyone can chime in with a better method, or “the” method .... then please chime in.

Syncro27, Wayne murray and Luckyphil like this.
  18. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Don't know any better , can you put tape on the glass as well while installing scrapers then removing tape. Don't think tape will affect the tint for a short period of time.

19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Trying to remember, but I think my sequence was:

1. inner scraper,

2 .then glass fitted to the mechanism, and window down,

3. Top / rear rubber,

4. Then with window up, out scraper.......

But it was a while ago.....:confused:

20. Hutchie

Thanks fellas, I will take a bit more care when doing it next time. I also have a thin piece of aluminium sheet lying around that I can cut some strips from. I will mask the danger spots and then also tape on some of the sheet just to provide a good barrier between the clips and glass. When finished I will just wind the window up a bit and hopefully remove the masking tape without pulling off the tint.