1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 TinTop Westfalia Conversion

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by Hutchie, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Hutchie

Hutchie Well-Known Member

I pushed through the heat over the weekend and installed some gutter mounts on the Pop Top. I chose these ones from Rhino Rack, they seemed pretty sturdy with three mounting bolts and a nice heavy backing plate.

2912B5E4-D05D-4434-B184-9BC6BB6E86F5.jpeg

I plan on eventually getting a roof box so I placed the rear mounts so that the box would not hang over the back of the Pop Top. For the past couple of years the Pop Top has been hanging from my shed roof in a frame so I decided to use that frame as the height reference point for all of the mounts. I used a square to measure up to the desired height from where the bottom of the Pop Top was sitting on the frame.

321BE376-9FD4-4450-BA32-3C6990735934.jpeg

Here you can see my measurements for placing the rear mounts, 115mm up from the frame and 375mm forward from the leading edge of the upper forward pop top hinge mounting bolt to the top rear corner of the gutter mount.

F9AF297F-FB6E-403E-BE0F-593C03C1E28E.jpeg

I then used the rear mount as reference for the middle mount, 115mm up from the bottom of the pop top, and then 586mm forward from the rear gutter mount. This gave me a centre to centre distance from these two mounts of about 750mm.

3C26DFEA-4957-43DC-A721-EB3FCF492BB6.jpeg

The forward mount was then placed 575mm forward of the middle mount. I had to reduce this distance slightly to allow the backing plate to fit flush with the inside.

ACFF56C3-FCE0-4332-9836-C200147EEA8A.jpeg

All done

6719BCE9-67CF-44DD-8376-1429C233AF80.jpeg

Syncro27 likes this.
  2. Hutchie

New problem for the day, I had planned upon installing the pop top tent onto the roof today. Unfortunately I did not get the original aluminium mounting strips that hold the tent in place on the roof, thankfully I did get the ones that hold the tent to the roof of the van because these would be extra hard to come by. The strips are the same profile for top and bottom and as shown below they have a small channel in the middle where the a “bead/welt” on the edge of the tent goes (for the pop top roof anyway).

7E793AF5-E455-402B-883A-1186E3241B6D.jpeg

The strip is then screwed onto a “rail” that goes around the edge of the pop top roof (you can see the screw holes below), the channel traps the bead and holds the tent in place.

18505232-0330-4D54-858E-B0F7E45BA652.jpeg

I had planned on just using some flat aluminium strip, but after watching a few video clips on the subject I can see it would be much better to use the proper profile. Does anyone in the group know where I might be able to get this from in Aus. I need two lengths at 1230mm, and another two at 2420mm. The strip is 15 mm wide at the base and 2mm thick, the channel is 4mm deep and 7mm wide at the base. Or can you offer any advice on another method of holding the tent to the roof.

Cheers

Wayne murray and TeeBee like this.
  3. Hutchie

Pressing on with flat aluminum strip ...
    hope it holds:cool:
    8C24FAD1-2A7B-4733-813F-C86B7CD04EAF.jpeg

Syncro27 and Wayne murray like this.
  4. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Probably coming in a bit late here but anyways....if the flat bar doesn’t work another option would be to grab some U channel and cut the sides down to a height suitable for the cord. Would do basically the same job as original to my mind.

5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I feel there is definitely something close out there no doubt and Chris is may be onto a good solution. Just Mill down 2 sides of a U channel.

Wish my top looked anywhere close to as neat of yours by the way:D

Dapom likes this.
  6. Hutchie

You guys are right, I guess I am just too keen to get this done and finally get the top on, and it would be a shame if it didn’t work. I will try to get some channel over the next few days and have the sides milled down....Cheers

Syncro27 and Dapom like this.
  7. Hutchie

It was raining...I was bored....one thing led to another and before I knew it I had installed the tent on the pop top roof...with the flat bar. I gave all sides a fairly firm pull and it seems to be holding fast. This is a Bus Depot OEM style cotton tent and as per their installation instructions the screws are placed just to the inside of the “bead” that runs around the edge of the tent, so it is being held pretty firmly in place.

Next step is to put the pop top back on the van 1623E8B3-AA43-4539-87FC-8F5207437609.jpeg

Luckyphil, Syncro27, Doob and 3 others like this.
  8. Hutchie

Another small task out of the way.
    My donor van was smashed in at the front so I could not recover the two pieces of “J-channel” that are used to hold up the headliner. I did have some examples though from in the back of the van so I used these as a template to make up my own. Original Westy J-channel on the right, my re-production on the left.

12F4BDCC-BFF7-4FBF-B02D-AEB035802BF3.jpeg
    3A4B40CB-765F-4F8D-9D2B-7D7EBC500E0E.jpeg

This is the piece holding a headliner up in a US Westy (the silver strip just above the door).

1785CA48-654A-4EFD-815D-E069FB1E7FE9.jpeg

9. MartyVS

MartyVS New Member

Looks awesome! I'd love to know the paint code for the blue colour you have...... started at the beginning and found it ! Lapis Blue Pearl.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  10. Hutchie

That’s it Marty Subaru code K3X

11. Hutchie

The lights in the instrument cluster have been flickering since I put it back in, sometimes they work....sometimes they don’t. The odometer numbers were also sitting on a wired angle. These sort of things really get on my nerves so I decided to suck it up and pull the instrument cluster again and install a foil replacement kit

BA63EEDE-2BA2-4FAB-8AD7-EEA0EB747132.jpeg

The leaning odometer was due to the pin in the middle of the metal cog below falling out (thanks Dave). Just had to re-align it and push it back in.

84015161-E277-42AB-B6D8-AF9127D7FE78.jpeg

While everything was out I decided to give the dials and everything else a good clean before installing the foil replacement kit.

5738E189-4139-46D8-A99B-AE2B804E1236.jpeg

I’m not sure whether that is the true distance that this ol girl has run because I think this cluster was from another van.. oh well I guess its a starting point for now.

Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  12. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

The leaning odometer was due to the pin in the middle of the metal cog below falling out (thanks Dave). Just had to re-align it and push it back in.

this is a very common problem with the odometer. A little searching online should turn up a 3D printed fix bracket which stops this issue reoccurring :)

13. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

The bandaid is always a handy addition to any T3 project.

This blue foil replacement harnesses is a great piece of kit in all the versions available.

My syncros travels over many rough corrugated roads would have possibly assisted the blue foil's early demise but so far my silver van is going strong - not sure for how long though - they are very fragile.

14. Hutchie

Fuel line replacement... done :)

F2E018B9-4DB1-48D1-80EC-12C6B6791F87.jpeg

KahunaKombi, Dapom, Luckyphil and 2 others like this.
  15. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Looks like that was a very necessary job.

They look very crusty...

16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Going to be finished to attend the Berry Blast From The Past 2021, so we can all admire? :rolleyes:

Elsie 76 and Syncro27 like this.
  17. Hutchie

The lines either side of the firewall fitting were pretty much done.

18. Hutchie

I’ve been a bit busy of late Grant, so progress has slowed. I definitely would not be ready with full camper fit out, best I can hope for is to get it back on the road/registered as a four seat van, but that might also be pushing it by mid Apr :(

19. Hutchie

Installed a RMW swing away tyre carrier last weekend. Fitting the main support bracket took a fair while as I could not get the inner and outer parts to line up sufficient to allow the bolts to be tightened up. I think that I removed an re-installed the whole thing at least a dozen times before I could get everything to work correctly, and then only if I sequenced the bolts correctly.

3AD527A7-F611-43BC-97F9-11C3E898F400.jpeg

Once done though I was more than happy with the result

FFDB3B26-9907-4820-961B-E042CBA15BF6.jpeg

817A033E-9640-43AE-81AF-D7089DC76F3C.jpeg

Syncro27, Barry, Wattie and 2 others like this.
  20. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

I wasn't happy that it was too easy for a lowlife to trip the catch while the vehicle is parked (supermarket) so I fitted a secondary safety catch that is also lockable if required.
    Spare Carrier Lock (1)R.jpg Spare Carrier Lock (2)R.jpg Spare Carrier Lock (3)R.jpg Spare Carrier Lock (4)R.jpg