1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T3 wont select any gears UPDATE: Now the shifter is super stiff

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Slowbrick, Jan 28, 2021.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Not sure. You would have to check the individual part numbers.

2. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Brickwerks in the Uk appear to have the complete shifter rebuild kits in stock for the 5 speed if that helps.

3. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Active Member

Ive just finished swapping over the rear shifter bushing to the non boot type. Havent driven it yet but the shifter has freed up alot. The rear bush had the same problem as the middle one with the boots not fitting in the cup properly and when I removed it there were visible marks on the rod from the bushing being skewed to one side when clamped down. Also the new shift ball didnt have much grease inside and I packed it full of Moly and now it moves nicely on the bench and when assembled. Very disappointing results in that I would have thought that Leon's would have known about this and I shouldnt have to rebuild the entire thing I just paid to have rebuilt again.

When the traffic dies down ill take it out for a drive and see how it shifts. I still need to reassemble the clinch bolt which will stop the shifter moving all over the place but hopefully we are moving in the right direction to bringing this saga to an end.

I did see that kit but sadly all the parts I need they dont have in stock :(
    Im going to try Nymeyers and see if they have something I can piece together to get it sorted.

Dapom and cbus like this.
  4. njg02

njg02 Active Member

Currently have the same problem. Found the bush too soft and was getting squashed onto the shaft.
    My old one looks ok so that is back in. 2021-03-01_17-01-33.jpg

David H and KahunaKombi like this.
  5. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Ah! Now you're onto something!

If the boots in the original design were made to deform a little to creat a seal, but now the Bush is deforming instead - thus binding the whole thing. This may be the answer to what is going on and why when it is loosened off a little all is good.

David H and Dapom like this.
  6. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Active Member

Thats the same type as the one that was installed. I found that the boots were causing the bush to deform and moving to one side instead of holding the bush in place and allowing it to move freely with the rod. Ive since replaced them with this type: upload_2021-3-2_10-38-15.png

I drove the van to work today and the shifter is silky smooth and its back to how it was before it broke in Brisbane. I dont think that booted bushing is absolutely wrong to use but I think its very dependent on the quality of the parts to ensure it doesnt clamp down on the rod causing the resistance. I might even give Leon's a call to let them know as it would be a shame for them to be fitting these parts only for them to create problems later. I am disappointed in the whole ordeal but I cant imagine them being no good at what they do considering the number of VWs they had booked in so I'm willing to put it down to just poorly made parts which they dont control.

I havent been able to see the original boots as they were thrown out by Leon's but looking at how it goes together it looks like they should be recessed into the housing whereas the replacements protrude slightly and not quite evenly causing the eventual binding when the moly is squeezed out. According to diagrams my van should have the boot type in the rear location but the non boot type still fits. I may investigate finding a genuine boot type later but at this time i think the non boot type will work fine and has restored the shift quality greatly.

hairyman, David H and cbus like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Congrats - now you are an expert on setting up a T3 shifter arrangement.

(still love my auto though :p )

8. Slowbrick

Slowbrick Active Member

Hahaha it sure has been a wild ride of highs and lows. I still need to get the clinch bolt assembly put back together to stop the shifter moving around all over the place but gear placement and actuation feels great now. Not sure if the 4 speeds are much harder than the 5s but it didnt take too much fiddling with the linkage to get it right, well as right as I think it should be. Ive marked it now so fingers crossed it just stays there.

I think I also gained another improvement by packing the cup full of grease and pushing the ball in until it was completely submerged in the grease. The feel of the gear engagement is much more noticeable and less vague.

I wouldnt be allowed to bring an auto home hahaha

David H and Barry like this.
  9. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

A bit late, but I used the Delrin never need grease bushes way back when I grafted an AGT 5 speeder into my '82. Still smooth and direct after years of use (and abuse), lubricated only by mud, dirt and stuff.

Syncro27, Wattie, cbus and 1 other person like this.
  10. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

@Slowbrick

Looks like I have the same issue. I overhauled the linkages over 1 year ago. Drove and shifted Beautifully but had sat on car Ramps for a while.

I think I also have the creme coloured centre bushing.

You mentioned it loosened when you undid the 2 bolts. Did u try a couple of spacers so it didn't grip the bushing?

11. SunnyJim

I had a look under Borat, I was wrong I already have the clear centre bushing. I am going to lube everything again.
    I also noticed before it was all very stiff now it is harder with the engine running.

As I have put in a pre used flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate ( that all looked good to me) I wonder if something there is contributing.

12. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I would just say its heat from the gearbox heating up the lube in the bushes next to the gearbox.

Mine used to do that until I got enough lube in there.

David H likes this.
  13. SunnyJim

I will update my progress here... hope it helps others.

I spent some time under the bus. I got my son to shift gears while I watched what was happening in the box.

It then became clear it was catching when trying for 1st and reverse. So I had to lengthen the overall shiftrod by unbolting the clamps on the spline. I increased it by about 5mm.

Big success! Can get all gears now easily. Can even go quickly from reverse to 1st.
    As I have new parts everywhere, the only improvement to be made is that I Can still feel a fair bit of friction moving between all gears. To describe it, it is not friction going in and out, it really is constant friction along the entire stroke. I think this should be easier. Perhaps it is the centre bushing? I have sprayed some Wurth grease but no noticeable difference.

Anyway , certainly drivable the way it is.
    Might get someone else to test drive it. Perhaps it is all in my head.o_O:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    hairyman, njg02, Dapom and 2 others like this.