1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T4 Horn Stopped Working - Finger Very Tired. How to Fix?

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by GypsyWannabe, Mar 8, 2011.

1. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

I need to fix the horn, not my finger!

In the Bay it was pretty easy to get the horn pad off and get the horn working properly.

Any idea how to get the horn pad off on a T4 or where to start looking to get the horn working again? I can get Steve to have a look at it when it goes in for its next service ("it" is still unnamed...) but I might as well try and have a crack at it myself when I have some spare time....

Thanks,

Baz

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Have you checked your fuses Baz?

How often do you need to use your horn?

3. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Is it the horn, fuse or button?
    Get a 12v globe and some wire and attach to the horn wire. Switch on ignition and blow the horn. If the lamp glows then the horn is Kaput. Fuses can be checked. Usually if you blow a fuse you lose a few functions. Otherwise its in the button.
    Enjoy the chase.

4. GypsyWannabe

I drive in Sydney. The T4 gets along a lot quicker than the Bay and yet idiot drivers seem to think it's smart to cut off vehicles weighing over 1.5 tonne, or suddenly come to a stop on a mortorway ramp instead of moving up to motorway speed for the merge, or on Tuesday night last week at about 11pm, stop in the extreme right lane on the southern approach to the Harbour Bridge to cut straight across 6 lanes of traffic moving at 70kmh (or maybe a bit more...)... so, I have had to use the horn a bit lately! I must admit, I was a much mellower person when driving Janie! :rolleyes:

I will check the fuses and try a test light on the horn wire (when I find it) as suggested.

Thanks,

Baz

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  5. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

I was going to ask the same thing! :p

Sorry Baz, I have nothing else to offer, except that I did have to get a new button put into my dash to act as my horn, as the centre piece of the steering wheel was cactus.

Good luck!

6. t4camper

t4camper Active Member

Baz,
    Horn should be behind bumper on left, access from wheel arch or lying on ground.

The horn button switches an earth that drives a relay, [#11?].

Horn fuse should be 10Amp fuse #13.
    Should not have to take the wheel centre out, check under the column covers, should be a slip ring and a rubbing contact. No wire down the centre tube like Janie had.
    The switched earth wire is one in the 7 pin connector, brown wire with blue trace.

At the horn, should be power all the time, or when ignition on, at terminal C13, black wire with yellow trace.
    Earth should be switched via relay on brown wire with black trace.

Hope that is some help.
    Neil
    That's getting a bit personal, Melissa. :eek:

P.S. Try an ice pack on the finger or a little blue pill.:)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  7. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

We cant have kombi drivers going around with their hands on their horn all day Neil! ;) LOL

8. GypsyWannabe

Oh, that's sweet... I'm still considered a kombi driver! :D

Thanks for the tips, Neil. I'll check it out on the weekend.

Exactly what little blue pill do you mean??? I have no problem in that department... :p

Baz

9. Alpal

When my horn malfunctions my finger is OK but my throat gets sore from yelling TOOT! TOOT! TOOT! to all the D.heads!

10. GypsyWannabe

I tell you, I was yelling last Tue night but it wasn't "TOOT! TOOT! TOOT!" :lol: My throat was cactus by the time I got home but then I had been singing for over 3 hours at band rehearsal, too... :wtf:

Baz

11. Alpal

A cactus throat sounds very prickly!

12. GypsyWannabe

"Prickly!". That's something like the word I used, among others.... ;)

Baz

13. GypsyWannabe

I only got around to looking at this today. I must have been lucky with avoiding stupid drivers - my finger had a rest. :rolleyes:

All I did was wiggle the wires at the horn underneath, then bashed the horn pad a few times. Works every time now.

I wouldn't mind more volume though - is it a simple enough job to fit air horns?

Thanks,

Baz