1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TAS to NSW rego transfer with seating capacity change

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Burnstar, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

I'm need some help with changing the seating capacity from 2 to 4 in my recently purchased 1974 Camper.

Current TAS rego papers is compliance for 2 and I'm not sure if this means much for NSW as I have to get a blueslip. The Compliance plate says Microbus seating capacity 8.

The rock and roll seat is likely not ADR compliant but if I want to change the bus to a 4 seater would that mean that I need to buy the ADR compliant R&R seat or can I just get seat belts installed and get a blueslip by a Kombi friendly mechanic? (any recommendations?)

Also will it be much harder if I got it registered as a 2 seater now and then tried to get it changed down the track?

Bernard

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

What is in the back now?

3. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

It's Garry's bus that I bought btw, it's setup as a camper, with a seat/bed.
    [​IMG]

4. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Cant offer much advice however can recommend this VW friendly Engineer. Ali has VW's
    He has provided certification for both my current T3's with Recaro seat conversions.
    Ali Akbarian
    Mobility Engineering
    02 9482 4572

Burnstar and Grantus like this.
  5. melissa

Does it have 2 seatbelts with that bed seat in place?

6. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

There are currently no seat belts fitted in the rear. It has a 2/3 seat. I had a look last night and could see the mounting points for the left side belt and right side belt (right side has the cupboards in the way) but I'm not sure about the centre lap belt, would that share centre mounting points?

7. melissa

It would definitely have the factory mounting points for the seat belts as it was never a panel van (compliance plate shows seating for 8). Personally, I would be fitting the Left lap sash belt and the middle lap belt using the mounting points then taking it to a VW friendly person for a blue slip with the seating capacity being noted as 4. As long as the bed seat looks sturdy - if in your mind it is not, then go down the road of changing the seat and getting an engineers certificate.

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

With Mel on that.

9. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

The seat looks sturdy enough and it is mounted using metal brackets. I took some photos this morning of the seat area.

Any recommendation of Kombi friendly mechanics in Sydney's North Shore?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. melissa

Maybe send Oldman a PM and ask where he goes, he is Northern Beaches. That seat looks to be from when the original camper conversion was done, just recovered over time. Just make sure you get approved seat belts - Roy at the Bus Stop sells them or you can buy Klippan ones - they are approved.

11. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I believe that you will need an engineer's certificate as stated above. When I registered my T3 camper in NSW for the first I had to do just that even though it was registered as a 5 seater in the ACT and had the belts already fitted. It was not a drama, just cost a few hundred dollars for the inspection and paperwork.

Ian

12. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I'd try for the blue slip first.

melissa likes this.
  13. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

Thanks, I've ordered the seat belts for The Bus Stop (thanks Neil for a speedy reply about postage). I will try the blueslip first they visit an engineer if I have any hassles.

14. melissa

One word of advice - don't make a fuss and draw attention to something that doesn't need to be. Of course you have to ask to get the seating capacity changed but don't make an examiner take more notice than they normally would. Sorry, it's a bit hard to put into words. Best of luck and happy travels :)

KombiMadness and cbus like this.
  15. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

To the best of my knowledge and recent experience locally with a professional seat fitter and vehicle modifier, if it is complianced for 8 but only has 4 seats permanently fixed, it can only be registered for the 4 seats, and unless those seats are factory supplied for the vehicle they must conform to the present ADR's (head rests etc). To the letter of the law it must have the seats permanently fixed unless it is a vehicle that allows temporary removal of the seats (such as a 4wd with the fold up seats that come come out in the back) with out tools.

That said as it has been found there is a lot of lee way and opinion about what get accepted and how so it really is a crap shoot. Lot of luck goes into whether you get a nice guy on the day methinks. I managed to get a 2 seat complianced Kombi registered with 8 seats from a Microbus, but even then, as it didn't actually come from the factory with them fitted, and even though we were using all the original mountings for seats and seat belts it was up to the State Road Inspectors whether they passed it or not.

Adrian

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

That is if you are getting the seats fitted in 2015.
    If they were fitted in 1976 and they complied at that time then they comply forever. Most of the these blue slip people have no idea what they are doing.

17. magic bus

magic bus New Member

Try Northern Beaches Automotive in Brookvale
    Address:2/31 Carter Rd, Brookvale NSW 2100
    My van has the compliance plate for 8 seats. I have had a dickie seat in the front for a while and got it registered as a three seater this year when i went for a blue slip, easy no questions asked! Good spot for a blue slip too!!!