1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank god the extinguisher works!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 77bay, Jun 11, 2007.

1. 77bay

77bay Active Member

Had the night shift last night, when I got to work the old girl was idling a bit high. No dramas I think, she's going in on Thursday for a little tickle. Went to leave work at 6am today and she's farting a bit and won't idle. Ok, add it to the list. About 200 metres down the road something tells me to stop and check things out, somethings wrong here. Pull over on airport drive and check the engine bay...Shit! where's the extinguisher! Seems we are cooking engine seal with a nice toasty flame. Managed to get it out quickly, so hopefully nothing major done, didn't seem to be a fuel line so that was lucky. Had to suffer the indignity of the flatbed ride home. By the way, nice to meet you Zuespig, shitty way to meet though, hopefully back on the road in time for Klubfest. I couldn/t bring myself to hire a torago for the day Rev.:(

2. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Thats was close. I'm planning on making up something so when the ambient temp in the engine bay reaches X centigrade, a light comes on on the dash so I know somethings wrong. To pull over or engage the system below.

On another note, I'd like to make a CO2 system too that can be operated from the cabin that fills the engine bay with CO2, Only thing is it'd stop the engine pretty quick...... But that would be a good thing i believe.... I could make up a kit for either of the above to sell. Special deal to KC'ers of course!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  3. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

That's a bummer Chris. Hope you get it fixed by the weekend. Dean

4. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Damn... that eats dog's bollocks Chris.... glad she's not damaged tho at least! :eek:

COuld have been oil spilled on the seal gotten a little too hot? Woz was burning oil off his tinware after the trip up Black Mountain at Canberra (no flames tho in this case... just lots of smoke)... and I also had a fair bit of yucky poo burning when I spilled oil on my seal at Canberra after topping up at Canberra without a funnel. :eek:

Doesnt take too much to get oil to burn...

Kieran

5. tstrawb

tstrawb New Member

Don't worry mate Shaun will have it sorted in no time! If all else fails we leave the wifes and kids at home and jump in my bus and head on down.

6. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

I had exactly the same idea actually Steve... wouldnt be too hard to fit up. I am thinking along the lines of a compressed CO2 bottle under the rear seat which pipes the gas to the engine bay via ducting through the wheel arch. In it's crudest form one could simply mount the canister under the seat (or wherever), and in the event of a fire being detected, simply open the valve on it and let it vent into the back, smothering the fire and expelling oxygen from the engine bay through the intakes.

At the very least, a fuel shutoff tap before the filter and pump which is accessible from inside would be a good investment... I plan to make this modification to BC and any subsequent Kombi I own in the near future using a simple tap mounted in the rear bulkhead under the back seat, so as that there is no continuous gravity feed of fuel to a fire in the engine bay in the event of a fuel line fire or a fire that damages the fuel lines.

Early Beetles and Karmann Ghias had a fuel shutoff tap in the cabin from the factory which does exactly the same thing.

7. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

77Bay, you can come with us if you like. I may need an extra hand to push if krumbli breaks down.

8. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Phew - glad no one was hurt and that there's not too much damage. I will definitely add an extinguisher to my To Buy list - quickly!

9. StevieVW

I was planning a solenoid for both the fuel and the gas. have it come on with ignition but have it so the feed can be isolated via a switch under the dash. Also a handy anti-theft device. The CO2 cylinder would have to be setup so you you wouldn't accidently set it off maybe a special sort of switch.....

10. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I' glad your OK and it didnt go any furhter.
    You do go to some extreme measures to meet fellow members.
    I bet it was a suprise to meet Brad???

Dave

11. 77bay

77bay Active Member

Thanks Dean but I don't think all 7 of us will fit!

Stevevw and Schmo, I think I saw a system like you're talking about in an early edition of Camper andBus magazine. It was a fixed system that worked off a set temperature. Might have to see if I can find it.

Too right Dave, I'm sure there's easier ways to get to know new members.:eek:

12. StevieVW

77Bay that would be great.

13. zeuspig

zeuspig Active Member

I was on the way to the airport and saw a kombi in trouble so had to stop and see if they needed help. That was my good deed for the day. Sad to hear the problem though.
    May catch you at the Fest next weekend.

Was met in a good way if you know what I mean Dave.. Hope all is well.

14. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I know what you mean Brad.
    Back training after selling house??

Dave

15. zeuspig

zeuspig Active Member

Good stuff, that's what I like to hear. Will give you a buzz sometime this week to see how all goes.

16. 59 BUS

59 BUS New Member

Thats lucky you stopped Chris, sounds like a strange way for a fire to start, Schmoburger could be right about oil on the seal.
    I'm sure you'll have it done by next weekend.

Cheers
    Marc

17. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Have always had a fire extingusher in my bug ever since I bought it....
    Only replaced it a few months back...
    You never know...
    Judy

18. 77bay

77bay Active Member

Just finished having a chat with Shaun. Looks like the left carby float was stuck, hence the rough running, and flooded the engine bay with fuel after going round the roundabout. Luckily the fuel lines didn't rupture otherwise I mightn't have save her. Should be back on the road by the weekend.:D

19. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Phew! Good news it wasn't any worse. You just have to make it to Klub Fest :)