1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Importance of the Ignition Switch.....AND carrying a spare

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by oldman, May 3, 2016.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Well.....it has now happened to me, so I can relate my experience first hand.

We had just pulled into Gerringong on Friday night - in the dark - en-route to Berry Blast.
    Turned everything off, did some shopping & went to set off to the campsite.
    No headlights.............aarrrrggghhhh.
    Bus had parkers & I could flash up high beam but no low beam....
    Oh well, probably a fuse, I'll sort it in the morning, says I.
    Sat. morning up & out with the muti-meter/test light & tools.
    1st test...fuses....all good
    2nd test earths at headlights.....perfect
    3rd test....gettin'pi55ed off now, relays...both swapped out for good ones.....no different
    At this point I lose the chrome dress ring retaining screw on the duck-bill/bumper...oh well I'll get it with my trusty magnet on a stick....(no you won't numpty, it's stainless steel.....aaaarrrggghhh....again )
    4th test.......check fuse block for continuity....perfect, really getting 5hitty now......people moving away from me
    5th test............ start tracing wires for rub through on chassis.....all good.
    Then a curve ball.....no wipers.........aaaarrrggghhhh again..
    BUT I had wipers when i pulled twice on the high beam stalk, with the headilght switch on.....
    6th test..........check headlight switch.....could've done this earlier, I know....all good ..aaarrggghhh again.

I give up , pack all my stuff up............now 4 1/2 hrs later.........starting to think about the ignition switch - what else can it be....?

Cruise to Berry - in the daylight & sniff out Phill - Syncro - what do you think he said,
    " Have you checked the ignition switch ?.....ie hook up your spare & see how it goes......,
    YOU DO HAVE A SPARE IGNITION SWITCH ON BOARD DON"T YOU.....? "

Well, I do have a new one.......at home. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.
    Phill lends me a damaged one to test....everything works perfectly !

I then bump into Grant & he has a spare..........(AS I SHOULD HAVE)......& gives it to me.
    I'm able to drive home with full lights & wipers that work better than ever.:rolleyes:

So, if your wipers are a bit slow, every now n then, or your headlights aren't as bright as they should be.....
    just disconnect the starter loom, plug in YOUR SPARE IGNITION SWITCH THAT YOU HAVE ON BOARD, & see how you go....

Many thanks to Phill, Grant & Col. who were invaluable over the weekend.
    I still have Phill's words ringing in my ears,
    " How many times have I advised folks to carry a spare ignition switch.......?"

Lesson learned, heed the advice folks.
    Cheers,
    Mark

David H, wenmac, StevieVW and 3 others like this.
  2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Most of the T3 guys would have had a spare so you would have been good to go from one of us :)

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Always happy to help out a KC member.....:)

Glad you got home safely. ;)

4. deger

deger Active Member

Great post. Does this mean that you use your existing key/ignition switch to disable the steering lock and the spare is only used for the ignition circuit ?

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I don't want to sound silly but what model do you have oldman. You make it sound easy . I did the one in the 76 ute and you got to take steering wheel off and pull the whole ignition housing of the column to get to the little screw that holds the ignition switch in. Or did I do it the hard wayo_O I was lucky I had a spare at home but By the time I got home from work ended up a late night fixing it.

6. Grantus

Errrm.... and where was Phill's working spare one? :rolleyes:

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

o_OBuy a packet of coloured paper clips .ready insulated. :)

8. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

I never travel without a pair of wire cutters and a roll of electrical tape :rolleyes:

9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

At the moment ...yes !
    Errrm.... and where was Phill's working spare one?
    He'd used it to replace someone else's the day before....
    I don't want to sound silly but what model do you have oldman. You make it sound easy
    All I've done is enough to get me home with headlights n wipers....
    The actual install/replacement will require what you have described.....BUT not necessary to get you out of trouble or home.....and you don't need to remove the faulty one to plug in the good one to the loom..
    Cheers,
    Mark

deger likes this.
  10. Grantus

To help out another dis-organised air cooled operator, perhaps? :p

Two new Febi Bilstein ones arrived in the mail today, thanks to Kai. ;)

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  11. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

would have been helpful for Mark if I had bought them to Berry like I said I would. Sorry.

12. Grantus

No worries Kai. Turned out we had enough working ones between us, to all get home, ;)

13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice work you T3 owners ;)

14. Grantus

"T3 Island" is a special place at any gathering, with a devoted semi organised bunch of helpful Kombi drivers! :)

15. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Member

Hi

Thanks for your post...

I have similar symptoms with my 76 bay.
    No headlights or low beam but they work when lever is pulled and ligjts flashed..

I have no wipers working plus I have a indicators that fuse when hazard switch pulled on...

Also when starting the motor the ignition key has to be pressed down firmly to operate otherwise it's won't turn over..

Could some or most of above be caused by failing ignition switch?.

Are there any tests to check relays etc?

Thanks again for any help

16. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I would suggest that is the easiest place to start, but it may not be the only problem. Until you get the ignition switch swapped out I wouldn't bother with getting to worked up about the relays. Just work through it methodically one step at a time. The indicators fusing on hazard sounds more like a damaged wire or wrong size fuse or too large indicator bulbs drawing too much current (the last one is unlikely, but possible). Don't be tempted to increase the fuse size from what they are rated in the manual as they are matched to protect the wiring. Too big a fuse and the cable will increase in temp until the insulation breaks down and melts and shorts to other wires causing a huge headache.

Good luck

Adrian

17. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

If you are getting a new ignition switch you will more likely need a new ignition as well(were the key goes in):rolleyes: As you mention "pressed down firmly to operate" The end of the ignition which when the key goes in is pushed in to turn the ignition switch and if yours is original it would also have worn.:( Then you have get the ignition changed to match your current key as well.o_O I had to do mine 76 about 2 years changed both.:) Mine was as you turn the key on, nothing at all:( turn it off then on and it would start:). Until one day I turn key and nothing :(and remained nothing:(, No go until fixed.:)

18. 76kampa

76kampa Active Member

Search 111905865L on ebay

They are only $3.75 + GST

Might as well carry a few spares at that price....

19. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Member

Thanks for all the great advice,

Had a closer look at the relays and they are wonderfully rusted and rattle when shaken...

Might get a couple New relays as I don't think they should contain loose bits inside..

Mordred, David H and oldman like this.
  20. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Spare bits always useful;):p if the relays still work.
    Cheers