1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The Jungle " our 1978 Camper.

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Scott Neilson, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Scott Neilson

Scott Neilson Member

G,day,

I have recently purchased "The Jungle" which is our 1978 Camper. I had been looking for a couple of years & finally found the one & jumped on him. Once I got him home for a good clean, I had him off to a VW mechanic for a complete lookover to see exactly what we have got & to make him safe for me & my young family being 40 years old. My mechanic when doing some work on the exhaust noticed that when looking internally he could see that the heads on the 1800 motor are cracked! When doing the compression test earlier it was all good, so he said if he was surprised & if he didn't see it he would have never known. I was told to just drive it to put it out of my mind & that sometime in the near or distant future he would pack it in. If & when that happens we can just strip him down, build it back up & go again. My question is- I have been doing day trips & burning around doing the shop & pub run etc but have not really stretched his legs by getting on the freeway or going up the Gold or Sunshine Coasts etc. Can someone please tell me how strong these 1800 motors are? Give me some idea of how long they can run in this situation. I feel like I am driving a ticking bomb sometimes!
    Any feedback on how tough they are would be appreciated.
    Cheers

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Welcome
    See your other thread.
    Only realy critical time bomb is fuel lines and other fuel leaks. ;)

David H likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Scott, may we ask who the VW mechanic is you are using?
    Crack may be a casting line :rolleyes: ..... he put a scope up the headers or through the muffler ?

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Probably had heater box off ?

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

A break down is slow;). A burn is quick:mad:. Cover the burn doesn't happen & enjoy the travels until it becomes slow:D & even then you'll enjoy the scenery more!
    Cheers

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Exhaust gasket replacement :rolleyes: